Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any procedures need doing to new penn 130ST's ?
Is there anything that my friend and I should do or have done to these reels before use ?? any help appreciated as I am new to all of this

cheers pc.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there pc3 and welcome to the BFT. Also welcome to our good friends from down under. Unfortunately I can't offer any advise on fishing equiptment appropriate for sharks. The only thing I know about those characters is to get the hell out of the water when I see a fin cutting close. I am sure there are several members who like this sport and will be along shortly to offer you all some advise. Good luck and hurry back soon.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod,
we would also like to get on to some big tuna and possibly Marlin, we thought the reels represented good value (they are a now discontinued model).

I also need to find out as much about trolling as i can and what line we should use on these reels etc.
[signature]
Welcome to Bigfishtackle message boards PC3!!!

Dryrod sent out an SOS, and I thought i'd stop by and give you a little help. First of all, that reel you got is a good one. Penn makes a top notch product. There is no prep for the reel before use. You slap it on a rod and go fishing. The important part is the maintenence. I tear down my reels about once every couple months, depending on how often I use them. I use heavy automotive bearing grease instead of the thin bodied lube that comes with the reels. Vasaline even works well since it's it petro' based. Big game fish put alot of strain on the equipment. It's best to go with over kill on anything associated with cleaning, lubing, or parts replacement.

As far as line selection and specific info on trolling, that info changes based on what species of fish you are targeting. I would suggest that you post these questions on the "saltwater fishing" board with a specific question in reference as to which species you are looking for, one at the time. You'll get more detailed help this way, asking for advice one species at the time. I hope this helps out. I'll be looking for your posts on the saltwater board! Good luck Mate.
[signature]
Thankyou for your help it's greatly appreciated, Have to go to work right now[Sad] but will post tonight some question in the salt water section...................................I better not be the one pulling the reel down I would probably not get it back together..................or there would be one widget left over [Smile]
[signature]