Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Muzz LE Elk Results
Well, thought I would post the story and pic's from my dad's 2006 Elk hunt. Sorry fisherman, as much as I like catching fish, nothing compares to Elk and Deer hunting lol.

Day 1- We thought we would start off by hunting an area where we had heard a deep raspy sounding bugle. It was in an area that was covered with aspens and little open area. Suprisingly, it was close to a road but I guess you go where the elk are.
After getting there at day break, we heard an ATV coming up the bottom of the canyon (we never knew there was an ATV trail), that pretty much screwed up our area for the morning. We decided to try another area and was able to get some response.
Several times a bull would get within a few hundred yards. It was so thick we couldn't see farther than 50-100 yards. A few times we could hear it walking and raking it antlers.
We had similar results that evening (from the same bull). We were frustrated and had heard there were some other bulls in a nearby area. We then decided to try a new area the next morning.
Waking up the next morning we had both changed our minds. We decided to go after this same bull once again. The night previous, we had seen a bedded cow and heard other cows in the area. We then decided to get in the area in the dark and wait until daybreak.
As we worked our way that morning daybreak was coming faster than we expected. We want to try and be right on the herd at day break. Just then we heard a bugle within a few hundred yards. By this time, we could see well and shooting hours were upon us. I decided to blow one call from our "Hoochie Mama". We had an immediate response from a cow. I responded, another response from the cow. This time it was much closer. We had no more than set up and stopped, when I saw the cow. It was looking for us. We had just stopped in time. Otherwise, we would have been seen. The cow was broad side, 50 yards away. The bull followed right behind.
My dad was whispering "there is a small tree in the way, I only
have a small area to shoot". "I do have a front shoulder shot". I am not sure why he was telling me this since I didn't have a gun or a tag lol.

He shot, hit high in the front shoulder. The bull was down. We waited quitely and softly cow called. The cow actually stopped for a moment. One more shot to finish the bull and that was the end of our hunt.
He felt fortunate to take this bull. Not sure of the score but it looked good to him (which is all that matters).
[signature]
Cadresults,

Nice report and nice bull. Is that area in the South Cache unit? Looks like an area I know. Possibley Cheney springs/Richardson springs?

Just curious

RILEY
[signature]
Very nice Bull in most if not everyones book. Taking one with a smoke pole in the company of family makes it even more special. Judging by the pictures (and it's very hard to judge by pictures) I would I will score it around 320++. Any branch atlered bull is a trophy in my book. Especially on a muzzle-loader hunt during general season. No matter what it scores it's still a beautiful animal and I would be proud to shoot it. Great job too; and many congrats to you and your Pop.

IFG
After looking at the pics again it will go over 345. Really wish I could measure it to be sure.
way too go. excellent bull. thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
I really appreciate the replies. The bull was weak on the 5ths and 6ths but a lot of mass overall. I would say it would push 330.

To me, any bull is a trophy. I will say one thing, I learned a GPS is invaluable when hunting and also learning more than one cow call is important.

Good luck to all of you on your upcoming trips!!
[signature]
That is a very nice bull. Congrats! Thanks for sharing the pics as well.
[signature]
Man, when we talked on the phone, it sounded like maybe a mediocre bull(300-320), but now i am very impressed. What a toad! He had "sight growage"! He got bigger when i actually seen him.
Way to go, i wish i could have been on the hunt with you. Hopefully, next weekend i will have similar pics.[Wink]
BTW...... If you want to know what you will look like in 25 years Jason, look at the pics of your dad and his elk. A mirror immage of you with 25 or so years added in. WOW! I feel some duck hunting trips in the near future?[cool]
[signature]
Brody,

You are the first one who has said I look like my dad lol. I have several spots scouted for ducks; so once the General Elk is over come on up.

But if I do take you duck hunting, you have to promise to eat 'em[cool]

Here are some more pic's of the hunt
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]That's a nice bull! Tell your dad congrats.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]