Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Lately
Friday, 09/29/06- Hit the water at about 5:30 pm. Nice calm evening to be out on the lake. Filled the live wells quickly with shad at Las Vegas Wash. Looking forward to a great time night fishing. Started fishing around the Hole 33 area. We would soak live bait for awhile until stripers would surface, then out went the topwater lures. At one time a fish was hooked on both presentations! We enjoyed a beautiful red sunset over Las Vegas Wash. When darkness arrived, out went the underwater lights. These lights make a scary green glow under the boat. The object is to place the lights down about 10 feet deep and present the live bait above the stripers but below the lights. The theory is that the fish can see the bait above them. The plan worked well this time. We end up with 35 fish in the box, most about 2lbs. We released a lot of really small fish and a couple of skinny ones. At times there were tons of shad jumping around the boat. We used up all the bait by 10pm. Off the water by 11pm. What a great night
BaySport

Sunday, 10/01/06- Hit the water early (5am). Tossing a net in Las Vegas Wash before sunrise. Filled the livewells pretty quick then headed to the channel to drift fish. Nice calm day for drifting around the channel! Scratched 5 off the surface with swim baits right away. Soon everything slowed down to a crawl. We fished everywhere we could find fish on the sonar and ended up with a dozen in the box. Pretty slow morning overall, but a great day to be on the water!
BaySport
[signature]
That's pretty clever, BaySport. I was thinking about drifting a couple glow sticks in the water off the houseboat but wasn't sure if the idea would work. I've used a chum cage before when the bite is slow, and it's worked really well for us. Mind you, this only pertains to our fishing trips from a houseboat in Overton Arm and Callville Bay. This will be our first houseboat trip from Temple Bar. I plan on venturing to a couple places in the Temple Basin to see how good the bite is.

The chum cage is 3 square inches and 6 inches long. We mash about 6-8 anchovies into the cage and drift it from the back end of the houseboat about 6-10 feet down. I think the addition of glowsticks will definitely enhance our chances not to mention it will be pretty cool to see the stripers go after your bait. What color light do you use? We were thinking of using either the green or blue glow sticks. What do you think?

As always, thanks for the great report.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
I got hit by the guy who sells "Evening Secret" underwater lights.
The commercial looks good and the report (theirs) says it really works. Only bad part is he wants $200 for the thing... You are the first real live person who I believe. Your saying that underwater light works. Green I assume..??..
On the website theres a warning about using a light in Arizona. Do you know about that ???

Steve W
[signature]
Does that apply to glowsticks too? Do you know what the rationale is for not allowing a fisherman from using underwater lights? Perhaps, they catch too much fish with them? Just curious.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
What the ad says is this:
Illegal in two states. They are listed but I forgot which ones.
Then it says ""may be illegal in Arizona, contact your state fish and game department"".
I ve never checked it out, thats why I asked the question......
If it really works, whats another $2oo ????
Heck, I spent $55 on an AC lure at Willow beach. And of course my wife wanted one. $110...........Geeze.......
[signature]
I've been using submerged lights while fishing at night at Lake Mead for a fews years now. As far as I know it is legal to do so. No $200.00 price tag here, I bought mine from Cabela's for far less. They can be purchased at several different sporting goods stores and boating supply shops. They consist of a fluorescent tube with a weight attached and a 20' power cord with alligator clips so they may be connected to a deep cell 12volt battery. Take a turn around a cleat so you don't loose them. I have green lights. They can be used in a lot of different presentations. I've even used them to attract shad to the boat in both shallow and deep water so they could be netted for live bait. Once the shad appear turn the lights off before you throw the net. They scatter if you don't. Lights do not guarantee successful fishing. They are just another way to make your time on the water a little more interesting.
BaySport
[signature]
Well BaySport, I think I'll give the glowsticks a try and see if they work as good as the underwater lights.

Countdown...9 days!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Hey Steve, thanks for the heads up. Good thing to....we just bought 14 green glowsticks for the trip.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]