Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern Colorado fishing?
I am in Utah but my folks just moved to Nucla in southwestern Colorado and I am headed down that way for a visit and some exploration. Can anyone give me any ideas where to do some fishing while I am down there? My dad doesn't get out much and my mom would really like a couple of trout dinners! Thanks.
[signature]
There are all kinds of good waters down that way, especially the Gunnison above and below Blue Mesa Reservoir, Blue Mesa itself, and all of its tributaries, and the Taylor River and the East River above Blue Mesa. Seriously, the best trout fishing in the state is down that way. Talk to folks in the local bait and tackle shops down that way.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice Don! I just got back and ended up spending most of my fishing time on a small reservoir just south of Nucla called Miramonte. I fished entirely from shore throwing lures and ended up catching quite a few fish even when the weather turned bad. They were all rainbows and boy were they fat and sassy! The average size was probably about 15-16 inches with the largest measuring out at 21 inches with an 11.5 inch girth. She sure gave me a good time on the 4 lb. test I was using! The only thing that would have made it better would have been another species or two in the mix but I'll get over it.

Boy was that some beautiful country down there in the shadow of Lone Cone peak with a fresh snow cap!
[signature]
Wow!~ Sounds like you caught a bunch of nice fish!! Glad you dad fun! A 21" x 11.5" rainbow is a heck of a nice fish! Thanks for reporting back!
[signature]