Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Utah Boating laws
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=470301

CO Poisonings Inspire New Boating Laws September 5th, 2006 @ 9:50pm
(KSL News) -- A rash of carbon monoxide deaths over the past few years has prompted new boating rules in Utah.
From now on a boat may not be operated when a person is touching the swimming platform, even if the engine is idling and the boat is not moving.
It's also illegal to pull anyone on a tube or other device within 20 feet from the back of the boat.
And boats can no longer tow a person in a developed marina or in a designated wakeless speed area.
[signature]
I saw this on the pm news. I think it is a good idea. The recent deaths of the children makes me sick.
[signature]
I just hope they don't take it to far. If my main motor is off and I have my feet on my swim deck while monkeying around with my running kicker motor adjustments, I don't want to get a ticket.
[signature]
Also, technically someone towing in another boat that was stuck out in the lake could be in violation of towing someone in a wakeless zone at the marina.

Hopefully common sense will be used in this case.
[signature]
Makes me wonder if there are any provisions for electric motors. You know the carbon monoxide from one of them will kill you.
[signature]
All of those makes sence.....

[signature]
I don't know if you all are familiar with the relatively new sport of wake surfing which entails a person surfing the boat wake about 5-6 feet behind the boat. You start off on a tow rope but eventually drop it once you catch the wave. I know quite a few people that really enjoy this but it sounds like this law would make that illegal which sucks for them.
[signature]
[reply]I don't know if you all are familiar with the relatively new sport of wake surfing which entails a person surfing the boat wake about 5-6 feet behind the boat. You start off on a tow rope but eventually drop it once you catch the wave. I know quite a few people that really enjoy this but it sounds like this law would make that illegal which sucks for them.[/reply]

Dying from carbon monoxide poisoning would suck for them too! After dozens of people got hurt on the flying tubes, they made them illegal too.

Fishrmn
Just another BIG BROTHER revenue getter. Next can't be outside if Lightning is in the State, big fine if more than 30 lbs over weight. Laws to protect people form themselves. WHO DA THUNK
[signature]
When they wake board like that it makes a ruff ride for all the others on the lake from the wake they make, I for one is glad they put a stop to it.....

[signature]
Ya... I thought about the wake surfers too. I figured this new law would pretty much shut them down. Some of the idiots needed to be shut down anyway before they killed themselves. I've seen guys doing it behind outboards and stern drives which is like competing for the next Darwin Award. Read rule #1 at the top of the page and check out Chapter 3 - "Carbon Monoxide KILLS Quietly" at this link [url "http://www.howtowakesurf.com/"]http://www.howtowakesurf.com/[/url].
[signature]
I got a little clarification on this subject. Here is the latest from an email from the boating safety department with the law and then their interpretation/explanation of the law and why. Still doesn't answer how you tow a disabled boat into a harbor or marina. I doubt anyone would ticket you for being a good samaritan and helping out. But this does allow wake surfing to be legal still because it is in a standing position.

[font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000][size 3]R651-224-2. Unlawful methods of towing[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000][size 3]No person shall operate a motorboat or have the engine of a motorboat run idle while a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder of the motorboat or while a person is being towed in a non-standing position within 20 feet of the vessel. These restrictions do not apply when a person is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder while assisting with the docking or departure of the motorboat, while exiting or entering the motorboat, or when a motorboat is engaged in law enforcement activity.[/size][/#ff0000][/font] [font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000][size 3]R651-224-6. No Towing in Marinas[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000][size 3]The operator of a vessel shall not tow a person(s) in or on any towed device within a wakeless area surrounding a developed marina or launch ramp.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Two new boating safety rules took effect on August 22, 2006:[/size][/font]
[ul]
[font "Arial"][size 3]1. The towing of a person(s) in or on any towed device is not permitted within a developed marina or within a designated wakeless speed area surrounding a launch ramp.[/size][/font]
[/ul] [ul]
[font "Arial"][size 3]Many of our marinas and launch ramps can get very congested and towing a person on a person(s) on a tube or other towable device at a distance of 60, 75, or even 100 feet behind the towing boat simply adds to the congestion and can create a potentially unsafe situation, even at a wakeless speed. It is appropriate for these towed devices to be used outside of developed marinas and launch ramps.[/size][/font]
[/ul] [ul]
[font "Arial"][size 3]2. The operation of a motorboat, even with the engine at an idle, when a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim steps or ladder is not permitted. This includes the towing of a person(s), who is in a non-standing position, within 20 feet of the vessel. This restriction does not apply when a person is assisting with the docking or departure of the motorboat from a dock, when a person is entering or exiting the motorboat from a dock, or when a motorboat is engaged in a law enforcement activity.[/size][/font]
[/ul] [ul]
[font "Arial"][size 3]Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a serious issue with motorboats. Recent research, studies, and accident reports have shown that carbon monoxide gas can quickly build into high and deadly concentration levels in the areas immediately behind the boat, including the swim platform. This new rule does not allow a boat to be operated with a person sitting or standing on the swim platform of a motorboat, even when the engine is idling and the boat is not moving. It also restricts the activity of “teak surfing” or towing a person on a tube or similar device within 20 feet of the back of the vessel. However, this rule does not restrict the activities of “wake skating” or “wake surfing,” towed activities where the person being towed is standing and riding the wake of the vessel outside the areas of high carbon monoxide concentrations.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3][/size][/font]
[/ul]
[signature]
I think the word "Device" rather than Vessel pretty much exempts the Motor Vehicles (Vessels) from this portion of the law.
That would be my defence, it's not a "towable device" it's a disabled motor vehicle being removed from the unsafe area of a public way.
[signature]
Good point! [Smile]
[signature]