Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bassin' at Deer Creek
I hit DC today from 1-6pm. Was thinking about the berry but I'm not much of a trout chaser when I saw the entrance to DC state park. Hit the brakes and hard left. Weather was great when I first got there but a chilly wind arose around 3:00. Fished the west end near Charleston and Wallsburg bay when the wind picked up.
Water temp was 61-62, I was surprised to find out that the trout were not biting that great but no bother, I was after some bass. Around 15 boats were trolling without any success (that I could see). I graphed plenty of fish on the bottom in 15-25' of water but only a couple of taps so I started fishing the shoreline where it dropped quick to 20' and low and behold the bass were there.
No smallies, all LMB's to my surprise. Ended up boating 4 with 3 lost at the boat. Not a bad day for October and glad to see some healthy bass in DC. When I asked the park ranger how the fishing was she started talking about the rainbows, I said "any bass reports?", she looked at me like I was crazy, go figure.
[inline "deer creek 10-07-06 resize2.jpg"]
[inline "deer creek 10-07-06 resize.jpg"]
[signature]
Thanks for the report . One place I haven't fish much . I should give it a try but the magnetic pull always takes me up Daniels canyon .
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Walsburg has always been a good venue for greenfish. Early in the year a spinnerbait with blue, white and chartreuse tail works well along the banks. As it gets warmer, a white buzzbait near the flooded brush (in high water) can pick up a few. Six inch black worms, with chartreuse tail, are also good on the largies in there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you found a few and were able to get out of the typical afternoon "zephyrs".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I driveby Deer Creek all the time. When Lake X and Strawberry are just up the road, forget the evil Deer Creek. I always break sumptin' there[blush]

[signature]
I feel the same way about Deer Creek, kind of a spoof that I even stopped. This was the 3rd time I've fished DC this year though. I usually stay away because of the WSMF'ers (skiers). So far I've been impressed.
[signature]
Were you just pouding the shore and weeds with jigs?
[signature]
Yep, if it looks as though mother nature has put a stop to shoreline bass unless she gives up some high pressure sunshine...
[signature]