Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Trout(Mackinaw) Spoons???
Anyone fish for Mack's with spoons?

I don't but hear that people do and I'm looking for what works....colors, rigs, depths, manufacturers...etc...

I use Rapala's and Apex lures when trolling almost exclusively, but I am looking for another option when those aren't working...

thanks,
[signature]
ive had far more success using rapala's, flatfish, and squids or tube jigs (behind a dodger)... but, i sometimes use a spoon. ive found that a blood red, or a chartreause spoon will work well at times. id recommend spoons by Daredevil or Williams. there is also a post on this board about zimmerman lures... i looked at the link provided there, and they seem to have some good looking stuff. good luck to ya!
[signature]
Thanks kidder,

by the way I'm the guy who posted about the Zimmer jigs....

Anyway, I hate using flatfish!!! You have to troll so damn slow, and on the body of water I fish it is often windy and that makes staying on course a bear.

I have fished for salmon my whole life(use to live in western washington) and I used dodgers and kelp cutters with squid and flys and I just hate all that hardware hanging out there when your fighting a fish, so I have moved to lures that don't need a dodgers. I have however used Dodge statically attached to the cannon balls on my downriggers and attach the line release about 3'-5' above and this seems to work well and I don't fight hardware...

thanks again for the lure advice...
[signature]
yeah, ive used that rig off of my weight as well. ive also had success using very large lake trolls (pop geer) off of the weight. it is definately nice to not have all that hardware to fight! have you ever tried a drift sock for all that wind? ive found at times it can make a big difference.
[signature]
What is a drift sock? Is is like a sea anchor?
[signature]
here is a selection of drift socks. [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat21302&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat21276&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat21276"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat21302&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat21276&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat21276[/url]

they are great to help slow down the effects of wind drift. i like to put one out the side to help keep me going in a straight line. sometimes if the wind is strong enough i can troll with just wind power- with the sock to slow me down a bit. they seriously are very handy, but do require some practice to get the system down. anyone else on here use them?
[signature]
Found a great spoon for Macks....Pro King Mangnum in Glo and Green....

It is quickly gaining ground on my old reliable Rapala!!
[signature]
Thanks man, that is a great contribution...I'm going to look for that!

There have to be more "Mack" fisherman on this board willing to dish....
[signature]