Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 02-16-03
[font "Verdana"]BLM and I hooked up his boat and headed for Bear Lake at a bit after 6 this morning. We weren't to sure how the wind was going to treat us. It had been rattlin' the wind chimes at my house all night. We were thrilled to see the lake looking smooth with a little ripple on it when we hit the Bear Lake Overlook.

We launched the boat a bit after 7 from the Utah State Park marina. After a smooth cruise to Gus Rich's Point, we saw a few marks on the fish finder and dropped anchor in about 65 feet of water and started jiggin'. We spent quite a while there, but no luck and no more marks to speak of, so we pulled anchor and started looking.

We saw quite a few marks out in 85 feet of water, so we dropped anchor and started jiggin' again. We stayed in that same general area and depth for the rest of our time on the water. It snowed and rained on us off-and-on and it was slow fishin' in general.

BLM stuck a few, but they all spit his jig on the way up. I snoozed on two good hits. I had a hand in my pocket diggin' for something on one and the same hand stuffin' a sandwich in my face on the other. I did manage to catch and release one small Laker and one nice Laker. When I stuck the nice one, I knew it. My rod was "bendo" as BLM puts it. I gained ground on him several times only to have him take it back with the drag buzzin'. When we finally saw color, we knew he was pretty nice. We netted him, weighed him, took some pic's, revived him for several minutes, and watched him swim back down to the depths he came from.

The water started getting pretty rough shortly after that. BLM and I thought about it for a few and decided to head back to the marina. It wasn't a dangerous ride, but it was exciting. It was exciting enough to have the Hawaii Five-O theme song goin' through my head the whole time and a tenderized behind by the time we got there.

As we headed for Garden City from the marina, we realized we had gotten off the water just in time. The snow started coming down hard and the wind started blowing hard too. It was slow goin' in a blizzard all the way until we got past Beaver Mountain. Absolute white-out made us stop dead in the road several times because we couldn't see a thing. We pretty much got through it by looking for the extension poles attached to the reflector poles on the sides of the road. Even though the blizzard stopped after Beaver, the road was caked, and I mean caked with ice the rest of the way to Logan. We did see the aftermath of an accident where it looked like a small red car and a big 4x4 dragging two sleds on a trailer had met nose-to-nose. The red car did not look good. I hope those folks are Ok.

Although challenging at times, BLM and I still enjoyed the day at Bear Lake. Here's a pic’ of the nice one. [center][Image: lt021603.jpg][/center] [left] [/left][/font]
[signature]
Glad to see you guys made it off the water in time and made it home all right . Wind has been blowing bad in Salt Lake most of the day . Nice fish !!
[signature]
Great report RNL, and with a fish like that, would have made my day, no matter what the weather. Predator and myself where wondering today if ya'll were all right. Glad you back okay[Smile]
[signature]
That is a mighty fine fish Rip'n! Glad you could make it out today. What did he tip the scale at?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We did get off the lake none too soon. Heck, we were the last ones off and there were larger boats hightailing it to the marina before us! The ride back to the marina was fun. We had a following sea that hadn't gotten ugly yet. We only had to turn the bilg pump on once. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That ride up the canyon sucked. Whiteouts and not knowing for sure where the road was invited disaster. There were people off the road, wrecks that looked like it could of killed people; just a sucky ride, especially towing a trailer, til we got out of Logan Canyon.[/size][/font] [center][Image: bl_2-16-03_5.jpg][/center]
[signature]
TKB... BLM was thinking about doin' another "Guess the weight" thing. If he doesn't want to, I'll go ahead and post it.
[signature]