Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes them strike?
It's a known fact that tricking a fish into a strike with a lure is simply tricking his senses. Arguably, it's been said that if you can beat two of thier 3 main senses, your chances of a strike with the proper presentation is 85% or higher. Personally, I tend to agree. My question is what single sense do you feel is the most important to best, if you had but one that you could choose. Or, do you feel that with the proper presentation it doesn't really matter.

This question is for overall conditions; clear water, muddy water, river, lake, etc.... You get one vote, make it count.[cool]
[signature]
I've always felt that tricking a bass and other predatory fish into a strike is as simple as making your lure look and move like the natural bait in the area. Sure if you can make them smell fishy and have a lure that makes a racket, it will probably warrent a higher chance of getting strikes. But i'm looking for an impulse strike, which is triggered by primarily the sense of sight.
[signature]
I have to agree, presentation is the key more so than rattles and chatterbaits. It's all in how you wiggle the worm.[Wink]
[signature]
I agree that their sense of sight is a big factor, but i also think their sense of smell is very close. Take for instance, a catfish in muddy water can find a piece of bait like we can find bills to pay. Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Sight is important, but we can't forget about smell.
[signature]
I thought I read somewhere that "stinky" baits are really only useful for catching catfish? True or False? Based on the above I'm gonna guess ya'll think that statement is false...?
[signature]
Well partner, to be honest, the best tactics truely depend on the senario. I asked this question as a general arguement as to if you had but one sense you could 100% overcome, which would it be. In reality, the body of water and the conditions dictate how to attack each situation. A bass fisherman working extremely clear water more than likely would be focusing on the overall "look" and presentation more; as an angler in very muddy or black water situations may need to apply scent and sound into the equation in order to gain strikes.

Clear water fish tend to rely more on thier sense of sight, where as in murky water it's hard for the fish to see, so they adapt and tend to rely more on thier senses of smell and "sound." I say sound loosely. Fish can also use electro magnetic pulses to "sense" bait close by that they may not be able to see. Sharks are a perfect example of a species that can actually hunt using only thier ability to sense electric pulse emitted from another species.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck!
[signature]