Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp On the Fly
I figured this topic needed it's own thread so has anyone ever sucessfully stalked carp from a tubeI I have had trout and warmwater fish rise right beside me but from what I've heard carp would likely bolt at the vibration of the fins. Also hard to sight fish from the low profile of the tube.
[signature]
Don,

I'm planning to try it from my tube in the spring. I've heard of guys who do it. If I had more warm sunny weather, I'd try it now.

Fly fishing for Carp does have some limitations. What I've learned so far is that for the most part you're limited to shallow water fishing. To catch them it's best to have shallow flats and relatively clear water so that you can sight fish. Blind fishing is more difficult as you can't always detect the takes by feel. (They suck the fly in and blow it out very quickly.) You also need to have some room to backcast as roll casting tends to spook them. They are very spooky - more so than trout or bass. In my area I have found some carp water but only a couple of places so far that have these shallow flats conditions. (I'm sure I'll find more in time.) That said, I think the tube would be an asset as it solves the backcast problem and opens up an entire area that might not be fishable from the bank. My theory is that carp, like trout and bass, will not be afraid of what goes on underwater (legs and fins hanging down). Since you'll only be half a fisherman high (so to speak) it will be the equivalent of sneaking up on your hands and knees. "Nervous water," bubble trails, tailing, etc. also reveal where the fish are. A slow moving kick with little disturbance might just be the ticket. All theory for me at this point, however.

Only wish I could do it now. Our weatherman seems to think we've seen the last of our sunny days for awhile.

[cool]I went trout fishing today. Caught and released 3 trout about 15 inches each. It was fun but was sure a bringdown after the 10 pound carp. I think I'm getting pulled over to the dark side.

Check your PM's.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Carp are very approachable from a tube. It is a different kind of fishing than stalking them in shallow water, casting to visible cruisers. But, around the country there are lots of places where carp cruise the shorelines looking up for their food. Topwater. Much more fun than nymphing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Carp will take insects from the surface, when they find them. However, they are usually looking for something "vegetable". That can be floating berries, seeds, bits of water weed, algae or whatever. As opportunists, they will also slurp down sodden pieces of bread (missed by the ducks), marshmallows, popcorn and other manmade goodies. Carp in park ponds are especially easy to catch on surface offerings. Just toss out any white floater and you can often get a slurp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Daybreak on many waters is the best time for some surface action from your float tube. The water is usually calm in the morning and carp will often cruise the surface...individually or in groups...with their noses (and lips) out of water, slurping up bits of debris and clumps of insects that have blown into the water overnight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here in Utah, carp waters are usually too murky for good sight casting when the carp are not on the surface. However, if you target carp on a flyrod, you can get out at daybreak and sometimes see large rafts of them working on the surface. You may only get one cast per group, without spooking them all in an explosion, but if you lay a fly gently near the edge, in the direction they are moving, you can often count on one of them sucking it in when they get to it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Singles are more difficult because they often change direction as they move along looking for food. Wait until the fish has gone past, before ripping your unheeded fly off the water and recasting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the day, carp can often be found cruising the shallows next to shore, as previously mentioned. If they are focusing on berries or seeds (or bugs) that drop into the water from overhanging trees or bushes, all you have to do is cast ahead of them and wait for a take. Matching the hatch is helpful but not always necessary. Again, a white fly or even just a fly with white in it...like a renegade...is sometimes enough to create interest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Surface carp are wary. They can be spooked by getting too close or by the waving of a rod within their cone of vision. Thankfully, they have a narrow cone and you can usually get within easy casting range of them before they bolt. Underwater they are not deterred by a tube, unless the water is ultra clear and they are regularly abused by anglers or bowhunters. I actually have them come up and rub on my black fins in murkier water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be posting a report on a tubing trip to Lincoln Beach, on Utah Lake. In it there are pictures of two carp I caught yesterday, right below my tube, vertical jigging a small chartreuse jig in less than 7 feet of water. They were both a lot of fun on my lightweight spinning rod and 4# line. More fun than the 6 pound catfish I caught on heavier tackle. [/#0000ff][#0000ff]If you don't make a lot of commotion in your tube, you will not spook carp. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What the heck, I'll just attach those two pics here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice fish, TD.

Vertical jigging would seem to be a good method for them because you're constantly in touch with your lure (no slack) so you can tell when they pick it up. The method should also work with a fly rod and micro jigs from the tube. Might give a person some options when shallow flats are in short supply.

I've seen them in the spring, moving along on the surface with their snouts out of the water, sucking in bugs and yellow pollen.

z~
[signature]