Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube rodrack/sonar setup pics
Hey guys.

I decided to upgrade my rodrack and sonar to a new design. Its pretty much the same that tubedude has somewhere on these boards. I tried it out last weekend and it works like a charm. All together the materials like the pvc and bungee cords and some other extras cost less than $20. Here are some pics.

[inline PA140213.jpg]

Here's the rodrack made out of pvc. I fastened it to the tube with some of those white zipstrips that lock in place.

[inline PA140214.jpg]
To keep the rod rack straight up and down I use 2 bungee cords attach to the D rings on the bottom of the tube.

[inline PA140217.jpg]
Here's how the transducer is mounted. (it would be straight up and down if it were in the water, obviously)

[inline PA140216.jpg]
another picture

[inline PA140218.jpg]
And I liked TubeDude's idea of keeping the excess cord wrapped up in a eletrical box. The box here only cost me 65 cents and i just drilled the sonar mount onto the box. As you can see I couldnt find 2 screws that were the same length in the old garage. haha.

[inline PA140219.jpg]
And here is all the cord tucked in the box. I tried rolling the cord up tight but it just would not fit in the box. So I came up with the idea of just wrapping the cord tight around a pencil that I broke small enough to fit inside the box and it worked perfectly.

[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lookin' good. I think you will like the rod tubes better if you cut grooves in the top to keep them from rotating around. I use a rotary drill tool (Dremel) with a 1/2" sanding drum. Cuts down through the PVC like hot butter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I need to make me on of those fish finders heer real soon does the tranducer face forward to teh side or backward.

thanks
Majja
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You rig the transducer so that it is at a right angle to the vertical PVC shaft. That way the cone points straight down.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I have offered before, I would be happy to help you get it set up when you get the sonar unit you want. I have done a lot of them and they are $%#&% (fun) the first time, if you don't know what you are doing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am sure i will be calling on your arsonal on knowledge as soon as i get the sonar. I was just so new to so much i like to find out as much as i can.
[signature]
I just put mine in the back of the main compartment.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The great thing about the SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries is that you can tuck them wherever they are out of the way and can still be reached by your sonar attachment leads. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those of us with large enough primary pockets, we can keep them there. For others it might be better to attach a separate pocket or hardside protective box in which to keep it. Still others keep in in a waterproof container behind their seats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, you could even put a strap on it and wear it like a (heavy) bracelet...or on a pendant around your neck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the VERY INFORMATIVE PICS. Nice setup, looks real easy to make.

KAZUALT
[signature]
I just put it in very front of the left pocket. Then I have on of those tackle containers behind it. I put it in the front because I dont want cords running all the way into the back of the pocket.
[signature]
Nice set up! Thank you for sharing and also to tubedude for initial idea. What size pvc works out well for the rod holders? Is it a thin wall type? Thank you ,Mike
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]1" schedule 20 PVC is just right to hold most rod handles. If you use the heavier schedule 40, it will take 1 1/4" tube to hold the same rods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have had several discussions on this if you look back through the threads. Here is a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=262789;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO PICTORIAL[/url] on how to put these rod holders together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]