Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphite rod fix
I have a line on a graphite baitcasting rod that has a small crack a few inches up from the handle. It does not appear to go all the way through to the center of the blank, but I can't be sure. I have read that a thread wrap for about 1/2" above and below the crack will reinforce the rod adequately, but wanted to get some opinions here. I have built one rod before so I know how to do the wraps and epoxy stuff, just wanted to know if I will end up with a reliable rod when I'm done. Is there a better way to repair?

Thanks
Red Dwarf
[signature]
[black]thats a tough one, for me, I wouldn't trust it, that part of a rod takes a lot of stress. do you know how the crack got there ??[/black]
was it smashed, or bent too far, did somthing fall on it ect.. ??
does the crack run up the rod or across the rod ?? running up the rod might not be too bad, but across, hmmm, junk it.
when graphite rods get damaged, nicks, small cracks ect...
it brakes the small modules of graphite and weakens the rod at that point, if enough modules get damaged the rod will brake at that point of the crack or nick. fiberglass is a lot more forgiving when it comes to nicks and stuff but graphite is more sencitive to nicks. hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
I took another look and decided to pass on it. The nick runs across a little less that 1/4". I also noticed that nearly all of the guides would need to be replaced as well. That reduced it from a good deal to a okay deal, but if I'm going to that much work, might as well start from scratch with a known good blank.

Thanks for the reply.
Red Dwarf
[signature]