Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to make ice fishing gear
i was wondering if anyone knew how to make tipups or ice fishing shacks. I know you can i just dont know how. if you could give me a little help i'd really appreciate it.

i was also wondering if anyone had any old tip ups or other ice fishing gear they dont want anymore. There's an ice fishing derby here in connecticut- the coventry lake family ice fishing derby- and i was hoping i could take a few kids in the neighborhood to it but i dont have enough gear for everyone. if you could help in any way that would be great.

thanks.
you are about to get flooded with information.

to start it is best to have a pair of old skis, if not check out a ski lodge near you and tell them what you want and what you want them for, broken ones work just fine, garage sales are also a good sorce.

from here I need some information. what kind of meterials do you want to use for your shanty?

I will be responding with more info shortly.
[signature]
[size 1]<" }}^ >< Ice Fishing Tip #38

Here is another homemade device that the kiddies will love ya for, and an excellent opportunity to spend some quality time with them while you are waiting for the ice to form.

Here is a handy little fishing reel that can be made in minutes in your garage using under $1.50 in hardware and some old things lying around the house that you haven’t gotten around to tossing out.

First here is your parts list;
· 1 six or seven inch 3/8ths diameter bolt with matching lock nut and 2 washers.
· 1 two inch 1/8th diameter bolt with matching lock nut and 2 washers
· 1 old fishing line spool ½ to 1 inch thick by 4 to 8 inches in diameter
· 1 six to seven inch piece of broom, shovel, hoe, or dowel 3/4-inch diameter or thicker with a 3/8th hole drilled through the center.
· 1 half-inch diameter dowel, tree branch 2-inches of length with a 1/8th hole drilled threw it.

Handle
1. Place one washer over the 3/8th bolt.
2. Slip the bolt threw the center hole that is in the spool.
3. Slip on the dowel. (You may have to cut the length of the dowel to leave room for washer and lock nut.

Crank
1. Drill a 1/8th hole below the line base of the spool
2. Slip a washer over the 1/8th bolt.
3. Slip bolt through the ½-inch dowel. (You may half to cut the length of the dowel to provide room for spool washer and lock nut.)
4. Slip crank handle in from the opposite side of the handle in to the spool.
5. Slip on washer then lock nut.

Only tighten crank and handle bolts enough to reduce wobble, being careful not to restrict spinning properties of components.
Put your hook line and bobber on and go ice fishing![/size]
[signature]
[center][#ff0000]<*@}))))))X< Ice Fishing Tip number 56[/#ff0000][/center]

You are sitting on your duff waiting impatiently for the ice to decide on what it is going to do.

There are a few things to help pass the time that will make your trips safer and more efficient.

On a 3x5 make your self a checklist.

Then you will want to laminate it. And get an erasable marker to make your checks. Make a spare card, one that stays permanently to your bucket or sled. This way if you go through at least we know who we will be looking for when we have to go diving for you.

Check every item twice to see if it is worn or nice.

Replace anything worn. every one knows worn items are not safe. sharpen all tools because every one knows the there is nothing more dangerous than a dull tool.

Make sure you still fit your Santa suit and it dose not have to be let out from all them fish dinners.

Check to make sure your cell phone batteries will hold up to the cold. as batteries get week the tend to loose there charge faster.
[signature]
[center][#ff0000]<*@}))))))X< Ice Fishing Tip number #59[/#ff0000][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center]The Banjo Bobber[/center] [center]

Well its time to break out the old banjo, guitar or fittle and time to start putting away all your ice fishing gear.

But it is also time to start thinking ice on for next season. All them clever ideas you had while on the ice, now is the time to build them while the memory is still fresh in mind.

I came across a man here last week who saved all his broken guitar strings. Like most of us anglers we seldom throw any thing away, he showed us his bobber on his rod, he was getting strikes and showing them when the rest of us were still looking for a strike.

Well the truth of the matter is as the well-seasoned pan fisherman will attest, at times they can strike so light that they don’t show the slightest of hits. and some times they will hit and actually rise on the bite leaving the anglers clueless.

During the summer months while twanging on the ol' twanger thang you just cant help breaking a string or two. He takes the lightest gage string and clips them to length and uses a electrical wire casing to slide over after folding and placing a loop in the fold.

I offered to buy one from him, but he handed me one to use as a pattern.

Here is what the end product looks like. [/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3062;]

[/center] [center]Then he raps the two ends of the wire to the end of the rod with thread and uses fingernail polish to seat the rap, this makes it easy to remove the old bobber with nail polish and tie on a new one when it becomes necessary.

Note that this bobber is extremely delicate so you will want to make many for the winter season if you are any thing like me with a rough and tumble attitude with your fishing gear. [/center]
[signature]
[size 1]here is a jigging stick

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2234;]

a couple live minnow hookups for your tip up

on the jigging stick you will see that there is a holographic sweadish pimple tied on the line. about a foot aboge the pimple (or any other jig you would like to use, including the fire balls used on live minows) you need to tie on a barrol swivel this will reduce line twist from jiging.

line twist can become a problem especialy on spinning reels should you decide to go that route.

on this hook up I use the lower half of a dead minnow dropping it all the way down to the bottom of the lake and start working my way back up to the top.

you can use just a spool of line, I sugest you go with what the pro's use because it will allow you go get back to the bottom faster, the stick is easer to hold on to than just a spool.

with your gloves on you will pull the line up hand to hand. taking the top hand to pull up the line and the bottom hand to hold on to the line. this way if you get a big one you can let it run and you wont get line burns or line cuts in your hand. this is where the light gloves come in handy.

this lure can be used on a spinning reel and a short ice fishing rod of medium to heavey action.

I use a spinning rod myself, but for some one who is only going out one time, or wants to learn about the sport prior to investing any money into it, this is the way to go.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2235;]

dead head hook

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2236;]

live lip hook

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2237;]

live tail hook [/size]
[signature]
thanks for all the help dave.
[signature]