Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coating tube covers
I have a TU Bighorn, and love it for the most part. I have one problem though. Because I float shallow rivers mainly, the bottom of the cover is starting to look a little ragged and frayed. A number of toons come with PVC coated covers for the bladders for abrasion resistance, and I am wondering if anybody here has ever coated the cover of a floattube for the same reason. Either that or would have a recommendation of what might work. One thing that has been suggested is to use Aquaseal to add an additional layer of nylon to the bottom, butthat seems fairly complicated to me. As it stands right now, I am thinking of something like Plasti-kote, but before I take that step I'd like to hear everybody elses opinion. All help greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Zonker uses that rubberizer that you coat tool handls with on his waders, I don't see why this wouldn't work on your tube. You can brush it on with a paint brush, plus it is rubber so it would be flexable. Maybe he will chime in here with his experience.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
I've used Plasti-dip for repairing breathable waders (put on the inside of the waders, not the outside) so I'm not sure how it would work in an application where you would be rubbing up against rocks, sticks, and the sandy beach. It is fairly durable (the main use being coating tool handles) so it *might* work. I suggest that you brush or spray a little patch of it on the bottom side of your toon where you know there will be some abrasion and see how it holds up. This would also determine how well it sticks to the fabric. Then if it doesn't work you're little worse for the wear and haven't ruined your pontoons. If it does work I'm sure everyone here would like a full report so they could have it as an option for some of their issues.

It does work pretty well for repairing hopelessly leaky waders.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have heard of tubers and tooners using the Plasti-dip to add a protective layer over wear spots. If you drag your craft a lot, you would probably need to reapply it after a few trips, but it will work to prevent "rub through".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is another alternative I recently heard about too. It is the polyurethane spray stuff they use to make spray-on bed liners for pickups. It is tough and has been incorporated into many other uses...home, boats, etc. I am thinking it would bond well to the tube material and it is designed to wear like iron.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry, I have not researched it more but I have looked up "Spray on bed linings" in my search engines and got some info on it. You might do the same, and also check with a couple of auto supply places to see if it is available in small quantities and at a reasonable price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Find a whitewater rafting company and have one of their guru's glue a patch onto the wear spot. If you can't find one, check with Northwest River Supply (NRS) and order a patch and look at their adhesives.

Can't speak for plasticoat type stuff as I have never tried it. However, I know that's how we repair whitewater rafts. They are pulled of rocks everyday.

Good luck.
bigdaddyjohn
[signature]
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think I am pretty much decided on a coating as opposed to a patch or covering. Ok, well, I went to the local hardware store today at lunch to check out my options in the way of coatings. There are several different brands available locally. I am leaning towards a "spray on" plastic coating, and will be doing this little mod sometime in the next 2 months or so(kinda busy with the holidays coming and all). Now, another question for zonker. How flexible is the coating when applied to your waders? I'd kind of hate to do this only to discover that the portability of the tube is compromised to the point that it can't be folded up small enough to fit in the trunk of my car. Thanks again.
[signature]
It should be as flexible as the material you put it on. A thin coat inside waders is barely noticable. There was no loss of comfort when I applied it to the inside of the waders. If you have to gob it on, then I don't know what the result will be.

Again, I strongly suggest you do only a small piece of fabric first, until you are familiar with the properties. That way I'm not the bad guy if for some reason it doesn't work.[cool] Its primary purpose is to increase grip, not shield from wear.

z~
[signature]
Sorry zonker, no matter what happens I am blaming you.[Wink] Nah, seriously, I've been thinking about this for a couple of months now, so if it gets messed up, I will be the moron responsible. But I agree about the thin coating.
[signature]
Please do let me know how it goes. You have my curiosity going.

Plastidip is a very useful substance and has some good fishing applications.

z~
[signature]