Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing with the Dinosours
Here in Northern Utah we have a nice river called the Ogden. This summer it ran high and murky and was dangerous to wade and not fun to fish. After irrigation season, the river went down and the fishing picked up. We have a little park at the mouth of Ogden canyon called the Dinsour Park. They have full size replicas of dinos complete with sounds. This is where I fished.

I stepped into the water and immediatly picked up some whitefish and some nice browns holding close to the bank. I brought my 5 wt with me and had a tandem rig of a size 18 PT and size 16 tungsten beadhead prince. After a few casts it was clear the prince was dragging on the rocks, picking up moss and effecting the fly, so I clipped it off and tried a peach glo bug. Nope. The browns aren't spawing yet so not go. So I nipped off the glo-bug and put on a BWO woven emerger. The fish were cooperating, I was just slow since I haven't been out for a while. I soon caught up and started catching bows and browns in the riffles, nothing in the deep pools. While moving up river, I could hear the footsteps and roars of the dinosours which lends to the excitement. With the deer hunt starting, I had the river to myself.

In all I picked up 5 to hand and 4 long releases, but by far the most exciting part was the BIG brown. In the dino park they have a pool with old brood stock. One brown in there is pushing 18lbs. and at times they get out. I saw a kid pick up a 5 pound albino trout from the river, and another 9 year old picked up a 8 lb rainbow from the area. Oh, not to forget, people are now catching and seeing tiger muskey in the river, that get washed down from the resevoir. Anyway, as I am targeting this nice 16 inch brown, I catch movement between my legs in the river. A huge 30+ inch brown easily pushing 15 pounds swims between my legs. I quickly forget junior and start casting to the monster that is 20 yards up river holding position. After 10 minutes of fruitless casting, it turns around and swims back through my legs down river. AWSOME!

As I moved up I kicked out a 20+ holding right by the willows. I marked the hole and will be back. A great way to spend a couple of hours.

katghoti
[signature]
SWEET!
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][cool]Hi there katghoti thanks for your update. Now why didn't you tell me about this spot back in July?[Wink] In fact I stayed over at the Comfort Suites Inn located on W 12 Street on my way to Wyoming. Isn't that only a few miles away from the Ogden?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Like I said, during the summer the river was not fishable (well, I wouldn't have wasted my time with so many other rivers to fish), but the dinosaur park was right up 12th street in Ogden, so not to far away at all. Next time your in town in the spring (before April 15th) or fall (after Oct 15th) then hit the river. Good fishing up the canyon as well.

katghoti
[signature]
[#005000][size 3]Awweeesssooommmmeeeee report... but do have one question...[/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 3]did those big guys that took a swim between your legs give you a look of .. Yeah right buddy.. like you can catch me.. .. because as I read your story it reminded me of about 5 weeks ago when I was on a local lake.. and two good sized rainbow did the same thing to me.. they came up casually... gave me a "yeah right buddy" look as I was standing on the shore.. and then causally turned around and swam away.. knowing darn well there was no chance in hell I was gonna catch them... lol[/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 3]MacFly[/size][/#005000]
[signature]
I think if it is possible for a fish to give me the finger, this one did.

katghoti
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4]LMAO only cause we have all been there.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
LOL...Lord know I KNOW THAT FEELING....[sly]
[signature]