Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-17-02
I went to Bear Lake today and enjoyed the awesome weather. We got out on the water about seventhirtyish and went to the Rockpile area.

The fishing was pretty slow, but it was fun watching all of the boats around us catching fish. Was that you Crestliner?

Had several opps to catch fish, but didn't have good luck. Remember: stiff rod + fireline + 10 lb leader + hard hookset = lost jig + no fish. I am used to ice fishing with a noodle rod for FG macks.

We couldn't convince the macks to play, (they like to play in fancier boats than we had) but a couple of cutts and two 9" white fish decided to play with us out of pity. It was a fun day though, it sure beats doing homework or sitting in class. Thanks for a fun day Mike.

Here is a picture of my first Bear Lake Cutt

[Image: TYLE9991CustomImage0129374.jpg]
[signature]
Nice fish P. Hopper, were you using cisco with that jig? WH2
[signature]
[Smile]That was us and we smoked them all day long. Between the three of us we caught and landed 26 fish. I don't know how many we had on and never landed. The biggest was a nine and half pound lake trout. We caught three macs all day long. The rest were cutts. I would have to say we outfished everyone that was out there Monday. I'm not one to brag but it sure is nice to be in the hot boat once in a while.
[signature]
Nice-One, "Crestliner" Sounds like the lake had your name stamped ALL over it. Question, What was you using for bait,
ie. sisco,white curley tails, what was your magic potion for the day? [Smile] Also what type (glass,aluminun) & size of boat do you have? Appreciate the info:[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Yes we had cisco on, but we had a fuel line problem first thing on the boat and we all got smelly. We washed with scent remover soap in the cold water, but thirtysomething degree water is not conducive to removing petroleum based substances from your hands. That is all I can think happened because we had fish come off of the bottom all day to check out our offerings with very few takers. I read a post several weeks ago that you should bring baking soda for that type of situation, I will have to take some with me next time.
[signature]
[Smile]It didn't seem to matter what color tube jig we used , we caught fish. We used pearl white, ivory white, white with blue flakes and also a dark rainbow. We tipped them with a little cisco and fished in the same spot all day. We did move once when our anchor broke free but we moved back to the original spot after we noticed we had moved. We fished in 65 feet of water just north of the rockpile. Most of the other boats fished in shallower right on the rockpile or they fished way out deep. Sorry I forgot my boat info the first time. I have a 2002 17 foot Crestliner Fish Hawk. Single console aluminum with an 80 horse four stroke motor.
[signature]
I always carry one of those squezze lemons with me ice fishing in case I get gas from the auger on my hands. It seems to work better than anything else. I have sportsmans wash also but it doesn't seem to work when its cold.

IFG