Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you stop fishing?
How late into the year do you continue to fish?
[signature]
[black][size 3]I don't. I like to fish all year long. Winter is a little more difficult to get in a lot of days fishing because I have some other activities (skiing) that come into play and compete for time. But, I still attempt to get in some fly fishing and ice fishing in between slopes.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]I'm with Fishhound. I don't stop fishing. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I usually hang it up around Dec.1st and start again middle of March. After working outside all week, I'm getting to old to play in the snow on weekends.[Wink] Noiw if we had any decent ice in CT and had a nice warm ice shack, now we'er talking.[cool]
[signature]
i dont stop fishing.in the winter i divide my time between fishing and hunting
[signature]
So you fish in the snow? And you have good luck in those low temperatures?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey a-workman,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I like to back country snow ski into some nice trout streams in my area during the winter for a little fly fishing sometimes. And yes, I can catch fish like that - I've discovered that some pretty darn nice fishing can be had when it is snowing out there and I've never had any competition for the primo fishing holes. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as lower tempuratures go, I have not had any real spectacular catch rates or caught any really humongous fish, but I've had some pretty darn good fishing and for me quite acceptable catching, at some pretty darn low temperatures while on the hard deck ice fishing. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Where do you hail from ? I'm in Utah.[/size][/black]
[signature]
We fish all year long up here. And the fish do cooperate most of the time.
[signature]
Extremely inclimate weather is the only thing that gets between me and the fish...or my "Honey Do" list...or snowmobiling...

I fish whenever possible, haven't taken up ice fishing yet, but I have a neighbor who has all the gear and is taking me this winter.

Competition for fish and fishing holes is non existant if you fish lakes and rivers that don't freeze up. I'm in western Montana and the big rivers and lakes don't freeze(unless we get one of those 100 year winters from hell).

If you didn't have to stop fishing, then why would you???
[Wink]

"All Americans believe that they are born fishermen. For a man to admit a distaste for fishing would be like denouncing mother-love or hating moonlight." --John Steinbeck
[signature]
i never stop fishing, but from the middle of august to the middle of november i do very little fishing. thats hunting season for me. now im getting geared up to do a little ice fishing... in a month or so. in the mean time i'll continue to blast the ducks and maybe hunt a rabbitt or two. (and coyotes if time allows) i'll start fishing hard again in mid march.
[signature]
I fish until the ice forms on the lake, then take a break until it's thick enough to get out on, then fishing resumed again until it's too thin again.
[signature]
I'm from North Canton, Ohio. Just recently caught the fishing bug and can't seem to stop...I actually got to do some salmon fishing in alaska a few years ago. I wish i could go now!
[signature]
Last year, I didn't do anything after September or so. This year, I intend on going later.[Smile]
[signature]
I pretty much hang it up around the Dec time frame like gregg does. He's from CT, so we share common weather conditions, atleast for the most part. I might toss a lure in a pond from time to time, but I don't waste my time hooking up to a boat.

The only catch 22 to that is if there is a freak warm day during the cold months; which actually happens quite often here. I remember last year there were more than 1 day in december that was close to 80 degrees. On a day like that, i'll hook up to my 21 footer and head to the reef for some sea bass and sheepshead action. [cool]
[signature]
Fishing year round can only help to build your technique. I fish all year round (now that I have a bass boat!). Winter fishing is the hardest season of all in my opinion, not just because the bass are deep but because they are much more sluggish than summertime bass. I like to fish in the winter because if I can be patient and perfect my technique enough to catch a monster in the winter, then I'm doing something right which will help me in other areas for other seasons!
[signature]
That's a great point Jen. If you can find success in the colder months, than you're definately doing something right. And if you can consistently land quality fish in the winter, when the strike zone is much smaller, you'll be able to apply those techniques in the warmer months and achieve a higher success rate. All of which really matters particularly to those who are chasing the tournament trail, or even just doing it one purse at the time.

I've said it over and over, the difference in a recreational fisherman and a professional is thier ability to effectively target a specific species of fish. This doesn't happen with out practice and research. There's no greater time of the year to really test your abilities than when the water temp drops and fish slow down. This is when the "luck" factor goes away, and your "skill" plays more of a part.

Like previously mentioned, I don't do much fishing in the winter months, unless there is a nice warm day. I'd much rather stay dry and wait for a deer to appear infront of my cross hairs. But I do stop fishing late, and start back up early. So, i'm all ready to go when the season kicks back off into full blast.
[signature]
i definitely fish year-round. I enjoy the colder months in the area that i live, as few peeps are out there.

it's almost a spiritual type of thing for me.

The wind is what is most likely to keep me from fishing, that and strong storms, ie thunderstorms in the summer.

My slowest time of year is definitely in the heat of summer, what can i say i'm a cold-natured guy.

cyas
rc
I fish year around, I personally look forward to the ice fishing season. Have had some of my best luck at this time. I have caught my biggest northern pike, rainbow, cutthroat and lake trout at this time. I have also had some of my best days as far as numbers go as well through the ice. I hope this year to make it back to the states in time to get some ice fishing in haven't missed a full season of ice fishing since 96-97 winter. I have been fortunate to fish Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Alaska, Washington and Utah through the ice and have caught fish in every one through the ice. Biggest pike and lake trout came from Alaska. Biggest rainbow from Montana and biggest cutthroat from Utah. Last year in Utah I did very well for perch and bluegill through the ice with an occasional trout and bass mixed in at my favorite lake there. My only real slow time is waiting between no ice and ice and back to no ice in the spring. In Alaska I was normally one of the first people on the ice around where I lived and I am not a real little guy, but I am careful haven't went through yet. Was close one year in Alaska though. The first day I fished one year we had an earthquake about 2 hours after I got off the ice and needless to say the ice I had been standing on earlier was on shore after the earthquake.
[signature]
I never stop![Wink] Bring on sub-zero temps and 4' thick ice!
[signature]
I'm in NW Indiana...it gets mighty cold here in the Winter months...but, nonetheless, I fish 12 months a year in any bit of open water I can find. This year I may give ice fishing another shot - I'm a little skitterish when it comes to ice fishing, since I've managed to go through the ice 3 times now.
[signature]