Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Australian DE HOOKER
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Dear Fishos, have you seen this [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Australian [/font][font "Times New Roman"]DE HOOKER ?.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]As to its origin, I don’t claim to be the original thinker; it is made from an electrical welding rod the metal of which is malleable and ductile so it is resistant to cracking and breaking and what is most important it is cheap and readily obtainable.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The rod I have used is 380mm or 15” long the gauge is 3mm or 1/8”. First hold the rod by the “normally clamped end” and lay it across the back of a vice or on an anvil. Take a hammer and lightly tap the flux, which will crack and fall off the rod. Clean any residue off with sandpaper.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The size of the handle is up to yourself depending on the size of your hand.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]See attachment. This size works just fine for me. Bend it to suit your own comfort. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The other end of the rod is bent back on its self and cramped in the vice. An old hack saw blade is temporarily inserted to ensure a 2.5mil or 3/64"gape; the vice is tightened up. The end of the rod is then kicked out slightly using a hammer and large screwdriver. This “kick out” makes it easier to grasp the fishhook. So, fine tune the adjustment of the gape to suit the width of your most often used fish hooks.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Its use is many and varied and is good for most pan sized fish. Where the hook is located in the lip of the fish. I simply hold the nylon line in my left hand [/font][font "Times New Roman"](I am right handed) and slip the gape of the De-Hooker over the shank of the hook.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]At this moment you need to make a mental decision dependant on the fish’s species and size as to whether it is to be taken home, or put back in the water.[/font] [font "Times New Roman"]i.e. decide where to aim the fish.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Starting at six on the clock, rapidly rotate your right hand / wrist / arm one turn in an [/font][font "Times New Roman"]anti clockwise or clockwise direction and (with a little practice) the fish will easily release from the hook. In so doing it will do a double somersault and land either in the fish box or back into the water. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Where the hook is well down inside the fish, the De-Hooker works just as well. Slip it down inside the fish’s mouth and slide the 25 mil gape over the fishhook shank, twist the wrist turning the De-Hooker and the fish hook will come free.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]This is similar to using a pair of long nosed pliers but it gives the Fisherman greater control because the gape cannot expand more than 25mil thus it grips the shank more snugly than do cumbersome long nosed pliers. It has no hinged action so it is not affected by rust and it works on three pronged hooks too.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]It fits well into the slim pocket often sown onto the side on trouser legs and this saves time as it doesn't need to be searched for throughout the boat as it is always readily accessible by you there in your pocket.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I’m constantly surprised manufacturers have not picked up on this idea and marketed a suitably chromed and packaged spiffy product.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Tight lines[/font]
[signature]