Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry to Rock
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#005000][crazy] Started the day at 10:00, Headed to the berry and was at Mud Creek by 12:30 the wind was so bad that we were only on the water for about 1 hour when we called it a day, Not even a bite! I am done with fishing the berry Some may like the wind The coach does not, it was Cold and very windy, Every time I have gone there it has been windy with one disaster after another.[/#005000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#005000]On the way to home we desided to try out Rock Port, Now that was fishing, the fish was small but fun, with pop gear and a worm we landed a few (turned them loose to grow up a bit) We were the only Boat on the water it was a different feeling being the only ones out there...Kind of nice and quite, not all the [mad]speed demons[mad] on the lake.. Headed for home at 06:30, So the day was not a total loss![/#005000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#005000]Sorry-the Pics we took were small fish and the same ol same ol stuff..Rock on-Never the berry![/#005000][/font]
[signature]
We were on the berry today also. We went up up in the back bays. Lots of rocking and rolling. Caught a lot of fish, some big ones, all cuts, on jigs. We couldn't vertical jig. We had to cast to shore. A lot of fun but the wind was really bad and the waves were always. I've fished worse. Nice to be in the 'Dory. Out in the big bays was nuts.
[signature]
Sorry the Berry discouraged you today. But you can't give up on it. My best fishing times are from daylight to about 11am. It may be colder early in the moring, but I have found that the wind is "as" bad early, and it'll give you a chance to get on some fish.

What were you using? Jigs? [Smile]
[signature]
Too bad you guys got abused so bad. At least the Rock treated you well.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Coach,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Strawberry is traditionally windy in the afternoons - almost every day it's like that. Try fishing in the early morning and/or even sometimes in the late evening - when the waves lay down a bit.[/size][/black]
[signature]
It is not that difficult to avoid most of the wind at Strawberry. Look at the forecast and don't hit it just before a front (wind is always blowing strong from the south before a front). Also, get there at daylight. Most days the wind doesn't come up until 11:00 AM.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#005000][Wink]We were using gigs and worms we set the anker down but the wind was moving us around so much anyway. Perhaps we will try the a.m. before 11:00 it just seems no mater what time I have been there it is always windy, the wind this time was from the North at 30-40 mph.I guess we should not give up, but it sure is discouraging.[/#005000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#00bf00][size 3]I sympathize. We had a 14' aluminum boat with casting platform and all the bells and whistles, then went with a 16' same features, but being a fly flinger, the boat was always a nightmare on the Berry. Someone always had to be in charge of the boat. Not fun when there is only two of you and one gets into fish, then you trade places and the fishing has turned off or you have past the kill zone.[/size][/#00bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#00bf00][size 3]We ended up buying two Cardiac Canyons (again with all the bells and whistles, sonar, rod holders, minn kota, oars, flippers, even a standing platform. The Berry is great now, don't have to worry about drifting into the rocky shoreline and munching a prop. Can pretty much go where we want. Plus splitting up and using radios we cover much more water.[/size][/#00bf00][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey flygoddess,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another point about your Cardiac Canyon - that water craft will handle a lot bigger water than an aluminum 14-16 foot boat will, and, you can take it on rivers up to class III if you know how. Not to mention that you can also drive that with your feet - leaving your hands for fishing. It is also a beautiful thing that you can fold it up for traveling.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I also have a 16 foot boat, that more often than not, is left home while my toon is taken instead.[/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Toons are a great way to fish. We are looking at another aluminum boat now with maybe a 25 hrs motor to drag our toons out on bigger water to anchor down and get into the toons.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It would come in real handy at lakes like Hebgen where you can only get in at certain parts of the lake. We even talked about a Porta-Boat.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There is some lakes that the oars or that electric motor are Not going to get you where you wanna go.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have taken the drift boat up a few times, but sinking a fly seems difficult on that boat because it doesn't have enough time to sink, or if it does have enough time to sink it's straight below the boat and when you retrieve it slowly it comes up off the bottom. Would it be best to let it drift with the wind? I did that with my two boys when they had jigs and that seemed to work well, but I had to man the oars and not get to fly fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We tried the drift thing also, but with both of us casting away and catching fish, we got blown into the rocks a lot. The Ol' man got mad and dropped the motor to get away from the rocks, cause everything else we tried wasn't working. The wave just kept puching us into the rocks. Needles to say, he munched the prop. Little more expensive of a trip than I like. So, the pontoon boats were an easy choice.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
So the fishing is better letting it drift? I am thinking letting it drift would give me some-what the same advantages as the pontoon boat. Keep my fly along the bottom for a greater amount of time.
[signature]