Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone enjoy Catfishing ?
[black][size 3]I do ! It's one of my favorites ! Especially from the bank or shore. I know, sometimes it's not the most exciting action pack activity, but nevertheless, I really enjoy it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am curious though, what all you folks use for rods, reels, line, rigs, presentations(techniques) and offerings(baits). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here's what I generally use:[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]2 - 9 foot med action Ugly Stick fiberglass spinning rods (which are nearly bullet proof) matched with two Okuma Avenger Bait runner reels spooled with 8 lb line - I use 9 footers to be able to cast a very long distance. The bait runner reels are nice as I don't have to keep the bail open, use a rubber band, or the bottle/can strike indicator technique with them. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]1 - 7.5 foot Med action Storm Thunderstick spinning rod matched with an Abu Garcia CD 4000 spooled with 10 lb line(this fiberglass rod is also nearly bullet proof). I use this one for short distance casting into heavy cover.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]1 - 9 foot med action graphite Shakespeare intrepid Bait casting rod matched with a Shimano curado 201 (left handed) spooled with 10 lb line - for launching heavier offerings and/or my SmartCast fish finder. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[inline "Bank fish 4.JPG"]

[black][size 3]Or, Depending on the accessibility of the body of water or fishing hole, sometimes I will bring 4 - 6.6 foot med action spinning rods matched with 4 identical reels - 2 spooled with 8 lb and 2 spooled with 10 lb line. These set-ups are for when I have to blaze trails, go a long ways, or have a really rocky or overgrown bank to fish(I call it commando fishing). I bring 4 because in our area, many places can be fished with two poles simultaneously, and, so I can have back ups in case of equipment failure - it's also nice to have spares already rigged up and ready to go. These rods and reels were also very cheap so that if I break one due to the environment(or my own clumsyness) it's not too big of a deal. Because of the rod length, These set-ups also do double duty when I catfish from a boat.[/size][/black]

[inline "Bank fishing 1.JPG"]
[black][size 3]For line, I like to keep it lighter - 8 or 10 lb, because I enjoy the challenge of larger fish on lighter tackle. I have just started using the Silver Thread Excalibre copolymer line with the smaller diameter recently, But, I used to just use Trilene XT in 8 or 10 lb.
[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For rigging, I use several types. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My float/bobber approach: [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I tie on either a standard or circle hook(sizes 2,1,1/0,2/0) on the terminal end of the line. Just up from that about 12-18 inches, I put a swivel for line twist - catfish do barrel rolls when they fight and can twist the line. Above that or just 6-8 inches below where the bobber/float will be, I put a split shot or enough weight to balance the bobber/float with the rest of the rig(bait included) so that the whole rig is almost neutrally bouyant and presents as little resistance for the fish as possible. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Then, comes the float - I generally do not use the round red and white plastic bobbers, but instead, I choose to use the more stream lined floats - like the cigar shaped ones, the egg/tear drop shaped ones, or the thinner pencil ones(I have a good variety of different kinds of floats) I especially like the Thills.[/size][/black]
[inline "floats 1.JPG"]
[black][size 3]Depending on the water depth, I can use either a slip set up, or a stationary one. If I am fishing in more than 5 foot deep water, I'll use a slip bobber and place a bobber stop at the appropriate place above the float, If it is less than 5 foot, I most often go with the stationary set up.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My fishing on-the-bottom method:[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use larger hooks(1/0,2/0,3/0 and up to 4/0) generally when I fish the bottom - mainly because of the kind of baits I use, but also, the larger catfish seem to be more attracted to offerings that are larger and laying on the bottom. Again, up from the hook I tie a swivel about 18-24 inches. Above that I attach a sinker. In still waters I usually just use egg sinkers but, sometimes if there is heavy cover, I'll use the bullet shaped ones.[/size][/black]

[inline "Bank fishing 3.JPG"]
[black][size 3]Sometimes, my rig only consists of a baited hook and a swivel above it and nothing else(no weight) - that is when I just lay it out and let it lie on the bottom. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If I am fishing in moving waters I use the "no-roll" slip sinkers so my rig does not drift down stream with the current. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[inline "Bank fishing 2.JPG"]

[black][size 3]For baits, It depends on the time of year, weather patterns, and body of water. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Under floats in either moving water or still waters - I use worms, minnows, dough baits or smaller pieces of cut baits that are suspended just off the bottom(or bouncing on it), or on the edge of structure where catfish hold or are likely to cruise by. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]On the bottom of still waters - I use worms, minnows(either whole or cut), home made dough baits, shrimp, chicken liver, or cut baits(I prefer using the most common local forage fish but, others can work also). For bottom fishing the holes of moving waters, I like to use blood baits, stink baits, minnows, or cut baits.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There you have it. What do you all use ? [/size][/black]
[signature]
First of all, what a great and informative post fishhound! [cool]

As for me, I love catfishing. It's one of the more relaxing types of fishing, especially if you're doing so from the bank or dock. Myself, I fish primarily from a boat; so it's only relaxing once I find the fish.

I do things a little bit different than you though. I use much beefier tackle for starters. I also use ugly stix rods, but I use the medium action "Intercoastal" model. I also prefer bait casting reels spooled with heavier line. I have twin Abu Garcia 6500's spooled with either Berkely Big Game 20 lb or Ande. I'm actually trying to use up the little bit of Berkely i've got and spool them up with Power Pro when I get a little extra money. That's some tough line.

I fish almost exclusively on the bottom, or not far from it during a drift. I use a carolina rig with a 12 to 18" long 7 strand steel leader. On the end of the leader I usually use atleast a 7/0 circle or Kahle hook.

Why such a heavy outfit you ask? Well, the cats get big down here. 40 or 50 pound blue's or flathead's are quite common, and would tear the average lite tackle outfit to pieces. Especially where I fish I need heavy gear. I'm usually within a few feet of a bridge pilon or lots of submerged stumps and limbs. If you don't have tough enough gear, they'll tangle you up; and that's all she wrote. Initially, I power the fish out of the structure, keeping my rod tip up fairly high as to attempt to keep him from diving back down. Usually, this tactic forces them to run sideways instead of down. Sometimes I have to give and drop the rod, but not often.

As far as bait, I use nothing but live bait. Exclusively....... Live bream, shad, crappie; what ever I can get my hands on that's kicking. I like them about hand sized or bigger. I hook the bait directly behind the dorsal fin and above the lateral line.

Alot of times i'll drop a rod or two down for channel cats as well. My favorite bait is definately chicken livers. Next best would be night crawlers. I've never really had much luck with stink bait. I use the same rig that I do for the big boys, just down sized to match what Fishhound normally uses.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Tom in Arkansas,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Welcome to BFT ! I'm a bank angler from way back ! And, from your neck of the woods(where abouts in Arkansas are you ?). I grew up in Missouri (the Ozarks - just above Bull Shoals). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I did all kinds of catfishing down there when I was a kid - bank fishing, boat fishing, river, lake, jugs, limbs, trot lines - you name it, I did it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Good luck cattin ! And be sure to drop back in and give us a report on how it was.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Tarpon4me,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We don't have much in the way of Blues or Flatheads out here in Utah. And, the biggest channel cat out here I've gotten into was a bit under 20 lbs. So, unfortunately, we don't need the robust gear that you guys are using. It is also(unfortunately) illegal in Utah to use live bait anywhere or for anything.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I sure do miss fishing for those big cats like you got out yonder your way. But, Channels really have always been my favorite catfish. Even when I was younger and lived where there were blues and flatheads aplenty.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3][Smile][/size][/black][black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Yes, The Abajo Mtns and surrounding desert areas have been some of the better places to take my hounds for some solitude - I try to get down there a couple times per year.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The Red River ? Is that where you go catfishing ? I have relatives in Texarkana. But I've only been there once(when I was a little kid) to visit family - and, I don't recall too much about it. Other than that, Little Rock is about as far south as I have been in Arkansas.[/size][/black]
[signature]

My husband and I LOVE to go catfishing! We are fortunate to live very close to a creek which has a bridge over it. Here is a picture of the catfish we pulled out last week while it rained.

We've also started catching grasshopers and putting them in the freezer. The grasshopers dipped in stink bait stay on the hook longer than stink bait on a sponge. In addition, the hard shell makes the catfish bite on the hook longer becasue they can't feel it until it's too late!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Jen,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I thought I was the only one that froze bugs in the freezer for fishing. Glad to know others do that kind of stuff too. I also gather stink beetles and moths and do that to. I put them in those little plastic tubs that tackle shops sell flies in - that way they don't get crushed in the freezer. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another thing that works well(and don't you dare tell any of the fly fisherfolks this), but, I use those natural (frozen) bugs on my fly rod to get the kitties, bass, panfish, trout and carp in the shallows - on smaller hooks, just use a dab of super glue on the thorax to cement them to the hook - they also make good strike indicators if you do a dropper of a nymph off the end too.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]BTW - I didn't notice your photo being attached to your post.[/size]
[signature]
That's awesome! Never thought about moths and beetles. I'll have to be on the lookout!

P.S. I don't know why my pic isn't showing. I can't figure out how to get it back on there either!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Jen,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]On your photo, if you go into your original post(click on "edit"), and look at the bottom where you attached it, see if the "inline" box is checked. If so, uncheck it and the photo should come up when you click "make changes". If not, you can always PM it to me and I can post it up for you - just send it as an attachment.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Looking at your pictures looks like you hit Utah Lake quite often at Lindon Harbor. I fished there quite often this past spring and summer catching numerous cats upto 14 pounds. My biggest I caught on a bobber no weight and a size 3/0 hook with shrimp and worms. I have also done really good there with either frozen minnows or cut up white bass on the bottom. I normally use 6'6-7 foot medium rods with 20-30 pound power pro line. On by bottom rigs I normally use a 18-30 inch leader with a 3/0-5/0 circle hook or 2/0-3/0 eagle claw baitholders with a snap or barrel swivel above it and a barrel weight. My best day down there ever though I caught all my fish with the bobber set-up though.
[signature]
i enjoy catfishin quite a bit.

Locally, it's time to go after the big blues. Personally, i have yet to break the 10lb barrier. I hope to change that between now and the end of the year, possibly on saturday!

cyas
rc
I enjoy catfishing. If you think catfishing lacks excitement
maybe you should not try fishing exclusively for trophy cats[Wink]

[Image: 61size.jpg]

Normally I fish 3 nights before I catch a 40+ pound catfish. For some reason
I had better success this year.

[Image: 082606B.jpg]

I still had a five week period without a big cat. A combination of spawning and
immense hatches of shad made my baits innefective.

I fish large live baits from bank and release the big cats after
photos and weighing them.

[Image: 082706size.jpg]

In winter I will travel to rivers in search of blue catfish. I fish from boats
so I can cover lots of productive water in search of feeding blues.

[Image: 47night.jpg]

I hope to one day break the 100 pound barrier when fishing for blue cats.

[Image: 77blue.jpg]
[signature]
Hey Robby. As always, you seem to come up with some of the best Kittys around. You da Man![cool]
[signature]
The pic of the catfish you pulled up last week is wearing a cowboy hat and appears to be around 180 lbs. What kind of bait did you use to get him? [Tongue]
[signature]
I dunno dude, those trophy cats look almost a little prehistoric--you might not to want to be making them mad...
[signature]
[black][size 3]It's nice to have a real Cat Man weigh in on the thread ! Thanx for those photos too ![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It has been a long long time since I've been able to target any big ones. I currently live in Utah, and we just don't have any out here (we only have tiny fish - what you could consider bait ). All we have in this immediate area to speak of with any size are channels and carp ( ok, we do have a few macks and muskies and inland stripers ). So, that is what I mostly fish for when I go fishing for big ones - hence the light duty gear that I mentioned and pictured in my original post. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For the big fish, I have Penns and Abu Garcia, heavy rods with aging Ande or Berkley Big Game line in large pound testage and have hooks to match the quarry - but alas, my heavy duty gear has gone unused for all too long.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I guess they ran out of the 30 and 40 pounders that we used to catch at Willard in the 70s. Those would be a fun ride in a float tube.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey tubeN2,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I've never gotten a 30-40 pounder out of Willard. It seems like the Willard cats are a bit smaller these days. But you are right, big cats (actually all big fish) are a blast on a tube.[/size][/black]
[signature]
catching a few on crawler and some homemade stuff i fix but they are preety good fish 15 to 66 pounds sorry no pics cam is lost in the move .good 4 hook and a hefty cunk of skip jack and cast and hold on.
[signature]