Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What works for you?
It's gettin' close to hard water time and I really need to expand my horizions. This year I want to target perch, crappie, and trout. I have used glow Ratfinkes and small chartreuse jigs, but I keep getting a feeling that I'm missing something. Tube Dude mentioned roadrunners in another thread. What do all of you use? I live in Utah and live minnows are illegal. Thanks in advance for something newer, bigger, better, and different than what I now know.
[signature]
A sweedish pimple and a small white jig of your liking.
[signature]
I use half a minnow,

Josh's is my favorite brand. the come in two or three sizes.

thay are pickeled or processed some how, so they live a good long time in the jar.

I snip them in half and put them on my jigs, unless I use the small ones then I just hook them in the back.

I also like mousies and wax worms. and if you have a bees nest in your barn you can rob it come winter... just keep them cold because they will wake up if you take them in side.

I switch back and forth day by day even hour by hour because the fish change their minds on what they want to eat all the time.....
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Bioman,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I'm probably not the best one to be recommending stuff - there's lot's more accomplished ice anglers on these boards than me. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But anyway, here's some of the stuff I have that works for me.[/size][/black]

[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]These are some jigs that I hook worms(wax, meal or crawler) or pieces of minnows on.[/size][/black]

[inline "ICE JIGS 1.JPG"]

[black][size 3]Here are some jigs that I have plastics on.[/size][/black]

[inline "ICE JIGS 2.JPG"]

[black][size 3]Here are some of the other plastics I use.[/size][/black]

[inline "ICE PLASTICS.JPG"]

[black][size 3]These are usually inline attractors and for ice fishing I generally take the trebles off - but, sometimes I will hang some meat on them and fish them like they are.[/size][/black]

[inline "ICE LURES.JPG"]

[black][size 3]Here are some of my ice flies.[/size][/black]
[inline "ICE FLIES.JPG"]

[black][size 3]These are commercially prepared and preserved or packaged baits that I keep in my tackle box just in case I don't have time or I can't find any fresh baits. I have wax worm, meal worms, earthworms maggots, grubs, crawdads, and minnows. They are not as good or as effective as their fresh counterparts, but they do work.[/size][/black]

[inline "ICE BAITS.JPG"]
[signature]
Fishhound, I think you got it all.

Here in Wisconsin we can yse live minnows, I don't use them all the time.

Back when I was just a boy, my dad and I would cook up some spaghetti to al-deity and slip a small price on a gold hook (that is if we could find a gold hook back then, or we would have to paint them) got us a lot of Gills and Crappy. So if a person is a little creative or you can find the old timers out there on the ice, ask them I'm sure they well help you out. I do when the young ones come to me.
[signature]