Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Tubin' in Canada
Was out today in my neoprenes in 40 degree water at the trout ponds. Caught a few nice rainbows then warmed up in the clubhouse. Finished up catching the best trout from shore after packing the tube in the car. Think it's time to hang up the Fat Cat until next spring. Gonna see if I can get into some steelhead or lake run browns in a local L.Ontario tributary so I guess I'll keep the neoprenes handy. As far as tubing goes I'll have to live vicariously through Zonker's adventures with the funny coloured rainbows.
[signature]
Don,

All good things must come to an e... well, I guess you already know that. Glad you got into some fish. Kinda Sad to have to put the Fat Cat away.

I hope to get back after the winter trout soon. We haven't had any significant rain since September and are just now (today) getting a series of storms with the promise of some rain. In fact, the 10 day report is for straight rain. Now that's more like Oregon - 50 degrees and raining - a steady report.

As you know the lakes I fish in winter get quite low in the summer. The fish are more difficult to catch and don't do too well with catch and release (low survival) so I usually wait until middle to late fall to go after them. My grandson Matthew and I are going up on Saturday to check things out. I hope to have some reports with pics sometime in November. The funny colored rainbows are still there so I hope to get a few. My winter chironomid box is full and ready to go, along with plenty of leeches and buggers.

Since TD said we could "let 'er rip" on trip reports sans the tube, maybe you could keep us posted on your steelhead exploits? Take your camera (hint, hint.)

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I feel your pain...or numbness...whichever is most appropriate for tubing in the frigid liquid. Here in Utah we face imminent hard water conditions too. However, there are still some "lowland" lakes that remain free of ice until later...and some do not freeze at all in a mild winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I went tubing in 49 degree water on Jordanelle last Tuesday and am going in about the same conditions today. Next Tuesday I will be tubing a high altitude lake (Huntington) for some tiger trout, and may be racing the ice cap. It is usually one of the first to freeze in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be posting a report on my two trips this week either later today or tomorrow...with pics. And, unless I get frozen in for the winter at Huntington next week, I hope to be able to post some pics of tiger trout in their fall finery. Beautiful fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the years I have always had the challenge of tubing every month of the year...even in colder climes. This year will be no different. I will hit some open water somewhere, even in December, January and February...even if I have to drive over to Blue Lake (warm springs) to do it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Crazy golfers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]