Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More River Fishing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 5]Got a phone call this morning from my Brother (around 8:00 a.m.) and he said lets go fish the Provo. I am such a night owl it is so hard for me to get moving that early.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]But, I was up for the challenge.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]Got up there around 9:30 and started to fish moving up stream. Caught some nice browns as usual although it was a little slower today. I think it is cause of the storm front moving in.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]I worked the waters for awhile then moved up. Kept doing this working my way up to the freeway.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]Suddenly it hit, I had never felt anything like this on my glass rod.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]Splashing, pulling and fighting with every ounce of energy it had and putting that 6X tippet to the test.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]It seemed apparent to me that my net was not going to work on this one, so got my hand read to grab the tail or what ever I had to to land this.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]I had to share this with you.[/size][/green][/font]

[Image: Provo003.jpg]
[signature]
Now that is one monster of a fish... [Smile].... thank you for sharing the days fishing...

MacFly
[signature]
That is by far the most realistic streamer pattern I have ever seen. The detail is just incredible. I am in awe and bow to your tying skills. I caught one this size on the Ogden last time I went. I pulled him out on a backcast unware he was on. I am envious, I want to fish.

katghoti
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The really cool thing is, I always catch Brown and looking at the picture, it looks like a bow.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I found this flie in the new Orvis catalog and I think this could be hot! I am not sure what size however 14 or 12 or maybe both, what do you think:[/size][/black][/font]
[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96K3&dir_id=1236&group_id=1248&cat_id=5481&subcat_id=6630&feature_id=17"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96K3&dir_id=1236&group_id=1248&cat_id=5481&subcat_id=6630&feature_id=17[/url]
[signature]
Mmmmmm. Looks tasty. I don't know of to many trout that would take a grub, but hey, give it a try. Personnally I would like to fish it just to answer the age old question, "Watcha usin'?" I would love to look them in the eye with all seriousness and reply, "Why an ooey gooey grub size 10."

Okay I am not tying a MESS (migde emerger of some sort) and tying an ooey gooey grub for my winter flies since grubs are hugh in the winter. I bet this is hot for bluegills

katghoti
[signature]
I don't know on the rivers either, but that shammy scud works so well and they eat sowbugs all year, maybe a black stripe down the back. I am curious what they are made of. I am betting the same rubbery material the stretchy streamer they use to sale is made of.
CHEWY!
[signature]
[Sad][#008000]Hey there FGD I clicked on your link but received a page error. Are you able to reach that site by clicking onto that link?[/#008000]
[signature]
Yes I can. Try this:http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96K3&dir_id=1236&group_id=1248&cat_id=5481&subcat_id=6630&feature_id=17
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]That worked. Yummy looks good thats if I were a trout.[/size][/green][/font][Tongue]
[signature]
Id say both.. one does not work.. the other may... I can see that as being a very popular tidbit of food on the lakes I fish... might even bring up a bass or two.. never can tell.. maybe as a dropper?????? [Wink]

MacFly
[signature]
Hello there guest. I think that we have all done that before.
I hope that you will sign up and pick a user name real soon. When I answer a post from guest, I'm not sure which guest I'm talking to.
This is a great place to come to for information but we want everyone to give and take, so sign in and have fun!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Flygoddess,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Well, your streamer pattern(nice realistic one too - I must say) looks like a brown to me - I mean with the spots the way they are and all. Maybe it's just the angle or the light I'm seeing it in.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But, anyway, I really like that grub in the link you provided. Thank you for that ! [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I've successfully used grubs for trout on a number of occassions - however, they were the natural kind not artificials. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]And, now I want to try to roll one of those ooey-gooeys myself. I'm always looking for something else to try - that's what makes fishing fun for me. It's not how many fish I can fool, it's how many ways I can fool them. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It does loosely kind of look like the sow bugs or scuds I've build before - only it is appears much larger and much nicer than any of my home grown ones. In my view, that is like a work of art.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm thinking a size 10 or 12. Maybe even larger - I've seen some pretty big grubs underneath rotten logs that I've dug out at stream side. [/size]
[signature]
As fishhound says. grubs are big.

Around here there are a lot of crane flys in some of the rivers. There larva are quite large size 6 8 and look similar to that grub. A rubber band tied as in the Orvis grub is what they use around here a lot. But the talk is that the rubber band material they use now a days is not as good as what you "used to get" A few months a go a guy was saying he found rubber bands made with this old material and he bought all the boxes that they had. I have no idea what they were talking about. A rubber band looks like a rubber band to me.

Buy lots of old rubber band stock does not seem like such a good idea or tying up a bunch of flies that are not going to be used soon. Rubber band material rots fairly quickly.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Good point Scruffy. By the way your flies are fantastic and I gotta tell you, I am taking mine early incase I can get to the Green while in Vernal this weekend[cool] weather permitting and keep in mind I have to work that evening....SINGING. Actually I am taking my share of all the ones I have received[laugh] Be kinda cool to say "and this fly works great at the Green"[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]They had a fly out (I don't see it in the new catalog) called "the Gummy Minnow" with a rubbery material (which I got...YEAH!) and it looks like they cut it in thin strips to make this Ooey Gooey. I will find out when I get them.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I think the gummy minnow is an Umpqua Feather Merchants product and you will find it in their catalog.

If I remember what the sales manager from Umpqua said at a TU meeting not long ago was it was their third biggest seller.
[signature]
I forgot to say that it would be fantastic to have you report that everyone of those flies you have recieved works on the green.

In fact you should definetly do that but that probably means you need to fish for a couple of days to give all of them a fair chance.
[signature]