Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flyfishing bamboo
Hey, just wondering if anyone has experience using bamboo for flyfishing. I pulled out my grandfather's bamboo rod, which has never been used, and was urged to use it. It was built in the 1960s, but is not a high end rod, so I might as well quit depriving it of it's intended use. I seem to recall someone telling me that the action on bamboo is quite different from graphite and glass.
Anything I need to be aware of?
Anything different I need to do for casting, etc.?
Can I fish nymphs without problem?
Maybe even use a sinking tip line, or do I need to stay with the standard floating line?
Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there bdn06 and welcome to the BFT. Well before you start swatting flies do you have a matching reel and line weight? If not you will never know as one will be fighting the other. I have had limited time fishing with a Boo. My rod goes back to the 30's. Not knowing what wt. rod it was as my Dad had strip the rod down and refinished same removing all markings in the process. I tried a few different wt reels and settled for a 6wt. Just casting line I couldn't tell a whole lot though might have been nice if a little fishy had helped enhance my experience. I'm sure flygoddess can fill you in with more details for I understand that she uses a Boo on a regular basis.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Dryrod is right about the right line. I am assuming however, most of the older boo's were 6/7 wt.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Little tips to look for:[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]First, when putting sections together, DO NOT TWIST! make a straight in connection. When pulling them apart, the same thing and you should hear a pop. (Coolest sound in the world)[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Second: Is it straight. A lot of the older boos will be a little cocked, this could cause stress and snap a piece.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Third, do not use anything with silicon unless the finish is lacquered and be sure to dry it off completely when done.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]I have heard when landing a fish to try turning the rod in different directions to evenly distribute the stress and if you have two tips, alternate.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]The older rods are very heavy compared to the new upper end so you might want a heavier reel to balance it out.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]It is going to be REAL! slow so wait for it. You can cast nymphs, but consider a little side arm to keep the fly out to the side more. It is going to take practice and patience, but you will feel a definite tug on the back cast so keep loops or arm at shorter strokes.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]I find glass comes real close to boo and I prefer to teach newbies on glass to teach them to slow down and feel the line straighten out.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Landing a fish is a RUSH![/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Keep in mind that bamboo is WOOD and it is a lot stronger than people give it credit, but it does require a little extra consideration.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3][/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Once you get out and using it, try some of the newer upper ends and you will see why I am a BOO FREAK![/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff8000][size 3]Also smaller guides on the older (made for real silk) might tell you to go with smaller diameter line like Superfine by Orvis or SYLK by Cortland.[/size][/#ff8000][/font]
[signature]
Someone from rodbuilding.org suggest I use their CCS to determine line weight, which I will do. Thanks for the information on using the rod, and on the line suggestions also. I am stoked and ready to cast! Unfortunately, I may have to wait until spring, so I will just be chomping at the bit. Gives me time to search for a deal on a reel, however. Thanks again.
[signature]
My sons helped me rebuild an old South Bend Bamboo rod. I have used it several times and enjoyed using it. The looks from other anglers is also fun.
My rod had a bit of a curve in the first section [3 piece rod]. This comes from years of storing the rod under tension.
I heated the curved area by running it through my hand until the friction warmed the bamboo. I then gently flexed the rod in the opposite direction of the bend. I repeated this until the rod was straight. I also read that you can put the rod under reverse pressure and it will straighten out.
The rod is very heavy and I can only use it for an hour or so before I begin to get tired and start casting a poor loop.
Enjoy the rod but be gentle with it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Good tip on the straightening. That is why I say to be sure when landing a fish to occasionally turn the rod around in your hand, putting even tension all the way around.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Always make sure it is dry before storing (mine has a coating on it but, I still take NO chances)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]And if lucky enough to have two tips, rotate using them. However, some of the earlier bamboo's had two different weight tips. Real cool idea.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]They are going to be heavy, but get a larger reel could help pendulum it out.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I tried straightening the tip section of my Boo by steaming. Didn't help. Will give your suggestion a try. Really doen't matter for on the wall it will hang until such time the Fly Gods call me up.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I have an old bamboo fly rod that I have been trying to get information on for years now if anyone knows much about it please reach out!
[Image: 20180410-181537.jpg]

[Image: 20180410-181551.jpg]

[Image: 20180410-181609.jpg]
Evan Haddock