Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Crappie Fishin' on the Kankakee
...as reported by crappiehunter, my partner for the day.

Fishaholic and I hit a Kankakee Bayou today for some crappie and were rewarded by a beautiful day, good company and great fishing!!! I started out by catching a couple small bass and one crappie, and Fish was struggling to get started. But then I laid down the gantlet by using the "S" word and that got him mad or something because he started catching crappie like crazy!!!! And I couldn't buy a bite, til he let me fish in his honey hole. We went through 4 dozen minnows and then started using minnows that were in the livewell that the fish coughed up. LOL!! We ended up with a limit of nice crappie(50) and now my freezer is restocked for the next fish fry. Took me 1.5hr to clean them all!!! Here is a [Image: pic.gif] of the mess...
[Image: BayouLimit11-9-06.jpg]

hmmmmm...no nature report?

OK my technique for Fall crappies is using an ice jig that you charge with the sun to glow underwater, took my pliers and opened the gap a bit to not only make it easier to hook the fish, but less prone to snagging the branches underneath the water...of course tipped with a minnow hooked through the lips (they were getting away with too many minnows that were tail hooked).

[Image: jjigslg.jpg]
row #6 - shows the type of jig I was using...it fluttered as it fell to the depth I was fishing.

Nature Report: saw two great blue herons going at it, a red tailed hawk, a red-headed woodpecker, a kingfisher, and on the way out a fox.

...all in all, another great day down by the Kankakee!

[signature]