Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my next project
[black]I thought it was about time to get a few more rods going. I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive. these rods will be mostley for vertical jigging. one will be 6' and the other 5' 8".[/black]
both are casting rods from cabelas, fish eagle matrix. both rods will have a spiral guide wrap and some kind of a design, not decided yet. here's most of the parts. later chuck

[black][/black]
[black]here's a couple more pics of the wraps started.[/black]
[signature]
to kool. these rods are gona kill...
[signature]
[black]Hey, cabelas kinda screwed up on the order. both rods have differant action. one is heavy action and the other is lighter.[/black]
so the short rod is heavier action. when I'm done with them I will let you choose witch one you want, so, no name wrap this time unless you decide after. later chuck
[signature]
THE SMALL ONE IS STILL FINE. IT WILL WORK FOR BOTH MACKS AND TIGERS. SO IF YA WANT TO DO NAMES STILL GO FOR IT... WHEN IS THAT ROD BUILDING GET TOGETHER? THESE WOULD BE GREAT RODS FOR INSTUCTIONAL PIRPOSE. GOOD TIME OF YR FOR A GATHERING AS WELL.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What size did you use for your tip top tube? I'm assuming you had to chop your blanks to get the right lengths?[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've got two Cabela's blanks I picked up in the bargain basement. 6'6" heavy action. They're green. I'm going to chop them down to about 5'10 - 5' 8" for mack jiggin' rods. Don't want them too stiff but so I may have to trim a little off both ends to get what I want.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Also, I'm going to make the rear handle about 5" max length so it will sit close to your body. I think this will help keep your arms from over extending and causing back and arm fatigue. I'll put a 3" - 4" foregrip so it's easier to hold when fighting a fish. [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Now I've go to figure out my eye spacing and sizes. I think I'll make the eyes a size or two larger for use in below freezing conditions. No fancy wraps on these rods only because I don't know how to do it.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[black]I think the tip is 6.5 on the shorter rod, I didn't cut the tip, I cut the butt. when spacing your guides I add a inch to each space. say, the first guide was 3 inches from the tip, then I would put the next guide at 4 inches from that guide then 5in. form that guide and so on. some times you have to do a 3in. from the tip or even 3 1\2 in. to get the bottom guide where you want it. with the guides spaced like this you get a nice even bend over the whole rod, witch ends up being a better action and a smoother fight on hard pulling fish. [/black]
how much did you pay for those blanks ?? I think they are the fish eagle rods. they are pretty nice rods, I've built about a dozen of them now. hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]They listed at $42 and I got them for $14.99 a piece.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black]dang, thats a heck of a deal, did they have any other blanks ??[/black]
they don't have very much rod building material in this store yet, but they are going to have a full line some time. thats what they told me anyway. one thing I've been doing sence they opened, is take my order form to the store at the help counter and place my order. if you have them ship it to your house you pay shipping, but if you have them hold it, and then they call you when it's there, you go pick it up with no shipping. it works out good because it gives you an excuse to go to cabelas. later chuck
[signature]
second rod is done, hers's a pic of both of them side by side. the one with the dianind wrap is yours. it's almost ready for flex coat.
later chuck
[signature]
looks great!!! just like always. now i just get to go buy another ambassitor.
[signature]