Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Report 11/15 & 11/16
Dagnabbit and I managed to slip away from the Berry (bad Karma up there right now) for a couple of beautiful days at the Gorge. We fished most of the day Wednesday and half day Thursday, ended up boating a total of 29 mac, the largest being about 15 lbs. It was very hard to find the fish in any numbers other than the spawning mounds in Linwood. The mounds of course were covered by a herd of snaggers, at least 20 guys on 4-5 boats within 10 feet of each other doing a lot of real "aggressive" jigging with buzz bombs -very sportsmanlike. Anyway, we did find a good pile of them down toward the dam on Wednesday and got 19, then put the rest in the boat Thursday mainly off Antelope. A little cool in the mornings, but great weather otherwise. Water temperature is still over 47 at Linwood and near 49 by the dam. We trolled primarily, but also caught a few early Thursday jigging white tubes (actual jigging, as in the fish ate the jigs, oddly enough their tails and bellies didn't even take a nibble of our jigs).
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip! What types of lures, depths, and speeds were you trolling for those macs? Did you run into any rainbows? Thanks for the help!
[signature]
We were using big lake trolls on downriggers with minnows and plastics right on bottom in 60-120 feet fairly slow. No rainbows, just macs.
[signature]
Did you recognize any of the boats with the snaggers on board? Perhaps with the name(s) of a guide service? Care to share, either by posting or by sending me a PM?

Thanks.
[signature]
There were guides over there. I'll PM you.
[signature]
It is always a privilege to fish with piscispursuit who is a true fisherman with a sense of "fair play" and a deep love for the sport. His attention to detail, presentation, and method is amazing and his "fish sense" is uncanny, as his catch numbers demonstrate. He is not afraid to experiment and to put in the time to test hypotheses and hints, which has led to some relatively unique techniques at the Berry and the Gorge that are regular producers.
[signature]
ya like a name nd a # please. get over it your 34lber will be there next year if he she isnt snaged or winter killed........ hi guy's just wanted to say high and fish when ya can fish and shut your face when ya can't let's see a report and not your opinion.luv ya all and happy snaggin[Tongue][Tongue][Tongue][Wink][cool][angelic][angelic][angelic]FISHLEY?????????????????????????
[signature]
SORRY TO SNAG YA PISCS. nice report see ya when it get's good in a couple week's.FISH
[signature]
im thinking of taking the mothballs off the boat and heading up to the gorge one of the days after thanksgiving. how about some tips fellas? just planning on spending the day dragging around some raps on the downriggers. i think it will be nice to just get out one more time before it gets too cold! (for the boat, not me... i handle cold pretty good... should be a good ice season)

its good to hear a gorge report again! its been too long! thanks, bkidder
[signature]
Why not post the guides names for all to see? Better yet get some pics next time. That really pisses me off.
[signature]
BKid- Your biggest challenge will be to find the fish. Once you do, the dinks will keep you busy, either by jigging or trolling through them. I use some big custom lake trolls, other stuff may work as well. We did catch a quite a few fish off Antelope, though we marked very few on the graph. Should be great weather....
[signature]

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For what it's worth, there is already a contingent forming to get a dual proposal in front of the RAC meeting next may.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Complete closures of some areas, much as there are for some Utah streams and rivers during spawning runs for select species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Gear restrictions, which would limit or eliminate the use of treble hooks and/or restrict the size of single hooks used on jigs and/or trolling lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DWR does not seem to have a great fondness for macks in the Gorge, and also does not seem to worry much about heavy harvest...big or small. They are encouraging increased harvest of pups but are not doing much to protect the big spawners. Angler groups have to be heard and a doable proposal has to be shepherded through the RAC process.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As soon as he is ready for group participation, the spearhead of these proposals will likely make a post, outlining his proposal and soliciting immoral support.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the time being, we don't need to keep sniping at each other over our individual views. That is not the way to get changes made.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good! Is one of the proposals, perhaps, to close Linwood Bay entirely during the lake trout spawn? That would make sense in the opinions of a lot of people.
[signature]
Don- I know your heart is in the right place, I took Fishley's comments to be Tongue-in-cheek.
[signature]
Thanks. Maybe I misunderstood. I think I'll assume so and hit the "edit" button.
[signature]
It's not just the guides anymore...

What I saw last week up there last week really made me sick. I'll shoot you a PM of who these "guides" are. The name has changed but the game is the same.

We were out at first light, the snagging boys were already on the humps.

This was there explanation to the clients almost verbatim, we could hear every word they said:

"Now what we are doing is some real aggressive jigging today. You want to get your rod tip right down by the water and then bring it up off the bottom real fast and as far as you can, up to 10 feet, this will create a real fluttering action as the jig falls back down. This will mak'em mad and sometimes they will give it a good tail swipe"

What a complete bunch of BS...

We by the way caught about 70 fish between the 3 of us, ALL in the mouth I might ad.

Then for just a moment we thought there might be some justice.

We saw a cop boat pull into Linwood and start glassing people and checking licenses. They watched the big blue and white boat on the hump for about 10 minutes, which was enough time for their clients to snag 2 fish, and then moved in. We were elated to think that this worthless guide was about to get chewed on. The cops boarded the boat, stood and shot the bull with the crew while the clients were blatently snagging, checked their licenses, reboarded their own boat, and left without saying a word.

The fishing regs define Snagging as "A means to take a fish in a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. It is unlawful to snag fish"

But it is obvious that our fish cops dont care...

So my question is who will police the police ?

Maybe its time for vigilante justice...

P.S. Welcome back Fishley... Knew it would'nt be long...[Wink]
[signature]
The guides and clients snagging the macs at the Gorge may not be the big problem. I understand that the illegal introduction of Burbot into the Gorge waters has the Utah and Wyoming F&G officials concerned. The burbot is a very carnivorous fish, and it's favorite food is fish eggs.
They also eat all small fish, even their own. The fish were first found in the northern sections of the Gorge, and are now found as far south as Linwood bay (major egg beds for macs).

I didn't see it on TV, but I believe Reese Stein covered it on KUTV. I have been told that the burbot in some of the Wyoming waters has nearly ruined the fishing. If someone has some good information on these fish, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
[signature]
Hopefully you meant moral support!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are fairly new to the board, but we have had several lengthy threads on burbot. If you use the "search" button and enter the word "burbot" you will find quite a few posts and links with lots of info.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DWR board also has some input on the burbot and you can find a ton of stuff on the internet on different sites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In a nutshell, YES these fish are potentially hazardous to the other species in the Gorge. But, it is not likely they will totally wipe out any species. They eat the eggs and young of macks and other trouts but they are prey themselves. Several have been found in the stomach contents of large macks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They are not a glamor species for anglers, but they are great eating and once they are numerous enough to justify the effort it is likely that they will be targeted...especially by ice fishermen. They bite best at night, on bait, in deep water. They are members of the cod family...not the ling cods of the Pacific coast. They have firm white flesh with no small pesky bones to worry about.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They are ugly, and not superb fighters, but worth keeping if you catch one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mwf_mFF.vIAPN.JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMzRvMDBnBHBvcwM5BHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=1gacvmn13/EXP=1164136351/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253DBurbot%2526fr%253Dyfp-t-501%2526toggle%253D1%2526cop%253Dmss%2526ei%253DUTF-8%26w=250%26h=205%26imgurl=www.outdoorsdirectory.com%252Fmagazine%252Fimages%252FBURBot.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.outdoorsdirectory.com%252Fmagazine%252Fpoor_mans_lobster-burbot.htm%26size=15.2kB%26name=BURBot.jpg%26p=Burbot%26type=jpeg%26no=9%26tt=744%26oid=3b22e3f01c54c810%26ei=UTF-8"][Image: BURBot.jpg][/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[Image: burbot-youngangler.jpg]

[Image: State_rec-burbot1.jpg]

[Image: Burbot1b.jpg]
[signature]