Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Cliff 11-17-06
[cool][#0000ff]Got tired of waiting for Mama Nature to quit being such a mother. Loaded up the tubes and Da Babe and I headed for Rock Cliff. Got there about daybreak. Air temp 27, water temp at launch 44. When we left at 2 PM the air had warmed to 51 and the water to 46.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The ramp is out of water, but you could still launch a boat off the side...if you are good...and lucky. A nice launch area for tubes and toons. There were three others that joined us on the water later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the water just after 8 and playing with hatchery pets within a few minutes of the first cast. Throwing spinners, both TubeBabe and myself got lots of whacks and brought a few scrappy little bows to the tube. We were fishing in only a few feet of water, right out from the ramp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kicked over to the far (south) side and prospected there for a few minutes. The cold water coming in from the river dropped the water temp to 35 and I could see no fish on sonar. So, I started kicking up the lake, in the calm morning conditions. Thought I would try to find some perch in deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got clear past the buoys and in over 40 feet of water before seeing any perchkind on the sonar. Couldn't buy a bite on several different jigs. Finally, out in the trees, at 45 feet, I hooked and lost two perch in a row to the tree branches. Bite, hookset, several reel turns and then the tops of the trees. Score...perch and trees 2, TubeDude 0. Broke off on the second fish and gave up. I'll go back for a rematch when the ice is on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked back into shallow water, where TubeBabe was still pesterin' the planters. She did have a couple of 14"ers that were chunky and suitable for the fillet board. I wanted to find a brown and a cutt to complete a trout trifecta. Had caught a couple of cutts previously in there, but not a brown. I was due.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After changing around with different jigs, I finally tied on the white glitter roadrunner with a yellow eye that has been doing so well for me this year. Got a couple of bitty bows before I felt a solid CHOMP. I set the hook and lost about 20 yards of the 4# line off my light reel. This weren't no planter. Turned out to be a 24" brown. A bit thin, after the spawn, but a pretty fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fished another couple of hours but couldn't score a cutt to finish the day. Still, had a good time, in spite of the leak in the right foot of my neoprenes. Can you say frigid digits?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those who like bank tanglin', there were a couple of guys there early, fishing off the steep dirt bank past the first minor point to the west of the parking area. We saw them bring in several fish, including one they guessed might be 4 pounds. Didn't get close enough to observe what they were using, but they were soaking bait of some kind. The depth in that area is about 20 feet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a bajillion small trout up in the top of the Rock Cliff arm right now. Our sonar screens were full of them constantly and we got lots of hits. Throwing bait or spinners off the bank would probably produce some decent action if you need to get out of the house for a couple of hours.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, TD. Glad to hear that the nice brown didn't get elude your tube this time. Sounds like the slimer fishing is pretty dang good there right now. Wish I had time to get away, but I won't until next Friday, and I'm going up to the REALLY high country that day in pursuit of a hard deck and some tigers...which reminds me, I have a dull auger, and would like to see your glow creations and firetiger perch killers that you made last year for the ice season. Got any free time on an evening early next week? I'll have my people contact your people...

Good luck on your next trip out!
[signature]
Looks like a good day to me Pat! Nice work on the brown as well. They get a little scrawny after being spawned out, but I'll bet it puts the weight back on quick!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That brown I landed was the second I hooked. The first one hit on a heavy casting spoon in 40 feet of water. By the time I got it to the top it had worked a hole in it's jaw and did the customary "brown trout bye-bye" thing after letting me see how big it was (not as big as the one I landed).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, have your peeps digit my peeps and we get it done. No big plans for the next week other than T-Day (I'm married).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the auger thing, you might wanna consider getting a new set of blades and then sharpening the old ones as a backup set. You never know when you might drill into a rock (or body).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a bunch of new jiggin' goodies for you to lust after too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report Pat, wish i would have known you where going to be up there i might have joined ya
[signature]
How was the eating? I got some trout out of there last month and they tasted like mud.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]That's a nice brown TD! [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Cool! Those jigs, spoons, and roadrunners all look deadly! I'll ring ya up soon...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll let you know. We kept a few rainbows. Only one had the nice pink meat the bigger ones usually develop after living on zooplankton and copepods. The others still had pale flesh from hatchery feed. Gonna eat them tonight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have never had a bad batch from Jordanelle, but I always skin my trout and remove the flesh bones. Then, I either "scampi" cook them in butter and garlic or oven broil them with lemon, butter and spices. They usually turn out pretty good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good report Pat.. Now start that ice dance and lets bring it on.. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry Don, I only know the steps to the "Anti-wind" dance, and I sometimes don't get that one right either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With water temps at 46 in the open lake, and as deep as it is, Lake X is a ways away from capping. Also, the latest long term forecast I saw was for a warmer than usual winter. I guess the El Nino conditions have something to do with that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hopefully the Rock Cliff arm will cap early like it did last year. Of course a lot of the higher lakes will freeze, even in "mild" winters. Maybe even Da Gorge. If not, we can arrange to dump a bunch of ice cubes out there somewhere. That's about all you need. Right? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have you got the Coldfooter Hilton tuned up for some serious use this winter?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah being the light weight I am all I need is a few cubes to wander around on and I'm settin',, or sinking... [Wink]

Yep its tuned and ready big bro. After all, its mid Nov., right?
[signature]
Great report, impressive fotos as usual.
Glad you and mama had a good time and caught a few fish. That brown is a great fish. I haven't eaten a trout for over 15 years, but your discription of cooking them, made my mouth water. I usually only keep and eat warm water fish, (walleye and crappie), but I may have to get my hands on some trout just to try your cooking method.
Good report, keep 'em coming.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thank you kindly. Since you are relatively new here, I am supplying a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=235668;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO TROUT FILLETING[/url] that I posted a while back. There are a couple of pics of the oven broiled trout too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is another link to a thread on [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=240597;#240597"]FISH RECIPES[/url] . Hope you like them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
nice report and pic's Pat...always enjoy your reports

cyas
rc
[cool][#0000ff]Thankee kindly. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You gettin' any fishin' back there?[/#0000ff]
[signature]