Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power handle for a Shimano TR200G
My father in law purchased a Shimano TR-200G earlier this year, and after using it a few times on some quite large fish, came to the conclusion that the stubby handle on the reel just wasn't cutting it. The problem i'm having is locating a "power handle" for the reel. A power handle is simply just a longer handle with a larger grip. It makes it easier to give a hard crank on the reel while increasing the reels gear ratio with the longer handle. I've given the internet a brief looking over, and was unsuccessful during my hunt. I'm hoping that maybe one of you guys or gals out there knows a company that can at a bare minimum, make me one just for that reel.

Thanks in advance

Bryan
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is what I found from the Shimano site.[/size][/green][/font][/center]

Details: The upgraded TR200G adds extra power with the long handled version of an already accomplished overhead reel. With all the features inherited from the previous model such as A-RB bearings and graphite frame and sideplates this reel is a strong and reliable reel for the toughest of fishing occasions.

[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I would contact them to see if they sell the handle separately.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Good call partner. I was so consumed with looking online for the specific handle, I didn't even think to contact Shimano and see if they had an alternitive. [cool]
[signature]

True a longer crank handle can give added pleasure,

you do need to know that changing the lenth of the crank will not change the geer ratio.

that will remain the same no matter what the lenth of the crank because the ratio is governed by internal gears.

what you will end up with is a longer stroke, not nessisarily more tork because that is governed by your drag.

to put it in to perspective... [ul] [li]one time around with a 4 inch crank handle your line spindle will revolve 4.31 times.[/li] [li]one time around with a 10 inch crank handle your line spindle will revolve 4.31 times.[/li][/ul]
so remember the longer the handle equals more physical effort on the angler part to equal the same windage.

I have a few reels with 6 to 1 geer ratios, it makes bait casting less laborsom. but truthfuly it dosnt add any thing to the fight once hooked up unless you are fighting a pike or musky and you need to pick up the slack in a major hurry. (fish species that will charge the boat) You can only horse a fish in so much before you begin to stretch and break the line or rip the hook out of the fishes mouth.
[signature]
You want to talk about going under gunned "short crank handle on a big fish"

try battling a thirty pound carp with a zebco 202 with a one ahd a half inch crank handle with a 2.5 to 1 geer ratio...

this is a one fish when it wants to run you better have the drag set so it can run because it is going to no matter what pound test reel or hook you have. What made them so much fun was with every big carp you could expect to get spooled half dozen times befor you finaly get him close enough to shore to grab.

if you want to get a kid skilled on big fish battling you take-um carp fishing.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on the handle not changing the ratio. I've always been told that it increase the gear ratio based on the philosophy that extending the length of the handle; it takes a longer stroke and thus spins the spool further around. However, i've never tested this theory by marking the spool and actually counting the revolutions. I take it you have. [cool]

Secondly, a TR200G has a really stubby handle in regards to the type of reel it is. It's really hard to get enough leverage to crank down on a good sized fish; especially for an old man with a serious lung desease. And your correct, extending the handle won't neccesarily give you more "torque," but it will give you more leverage to give some hard cranks on a big fish. His reel is spooled with 65lb braid in order to allow him to use a smaller, lighter reel and still target larger species like shark and grouper.

I did, however, find a long stroke handle for the reel. A Calcutta 400 hande fits the reel, and give the black faced TR a nice shiney gold finish along with a more stout approach to trophy sized fish.

Thanks for your help and clarification Dave! Have a good holiday![cool]
[signature]