Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what now?
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]OK, I’ve got my fly rod/reel outfit now (got rid of the first one as soon as it came, not happy with the quality). Watched a DVD, been reading some books and online info. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Now what ? Before I start learning to cast I just want to make sure I’m doing it right, any helpful tips or links would be great. I’ve heard/red that its good to start with yarn, any opinions? If this is a good way to start what length should I start with? I was thinking at least the length of a leader.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After I get the hang of casting I’m guessing I need to figure out what fly’s to use, should I get one of these area hatch book’s I’ve seen around at least for a starting reference. I’m guessing to really know what to use you should be looking at the insects in the water and what is landing on top of the water.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I’ll have many more questions but these are the ones I have for today, so far[/size][/font]
[signature]
To start practice casting, tie about 5' of leader to your fly line. Now tie a piece of yarn [3" or so] to the very end of the leader. This will represent a fly without a hook in it!
Don't use a tapered leader at this time. They cost about $4.00 ea. and will just get ruined when you are practicing.
When casting remember to only back cast to the 2:00 position or to the back of your head.
Don't use your wrist at all. Keep it straight and flex at your elbow only.
When the line is all the way behind you, then and only then start your forward cast. A big mistake that most beginners do is to start the forward cast too soon. Let the line get behind you and then forward cast.
A good way to remember this is to do a one, two count while you are waiting for your line to go behind you on the back cast.This will be about a one second pause before you start your forward cast.
Now as you do the forward cast stop it at the 10:00 oclock position and let the line shoot out in front of you.
If you hear a crack like a whip, you are not letting your line get behind you long enough before you start to forward cast.
After you have mastered this cast, you can go for a longer cast by casting from the shoulder and leave your elbow straight along with your wrist. This gives more thrust to your line and a longer cast.
Let your rod do the work. As it flexes or bends this is where the power or "load" comes from. Get the feel of your rod and work with it and don't force it to cast.
Start with short casts and then go to longer casts as you feel the rhythm.
If you are using a double tapered line, you will be able to reverse it on your reel after you have practiced for a while. This will give you a new line to fish with.
Lesson #2 will follow when you are ready and ask more questions.
'There are a lot of people here that will be able to help you along the way. Good luck and have fun!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0080ff]You said it pretty good there DKS. I will add, play like you are hammering. You don't break your wrist when you hammer. Thumb on top or the hold a key position, however practicing, thumb on top. Now, you got to hammer under a shelf, that is the line you want to fallow, straight, no windshield wiper. You won't need to white knuckle the rod this way, just thumb and pointing finger with the other three fingers just keeping the balance.[/#0080ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0080ff]Pull line out on the ground, swing rod back, wait to feel a slight tug or even turn slightly sideways and watch. Let the line straighten out in the back cast, then go forward letting a little line slide through you fingers. This is going to be how you add line for longer cast. Keep the line from hitting the ground, and remember to slow down the more line you feed. Wait for the tug.[/#0080ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0080ff]If you can take a class, it will be to your benefit, they even have them at the library here.[/#0080ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0080ff]Good luck and stay in touch with your progress.[/#0080ff][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there bass_Ackwards - I e-mailed you a PDF file on FF 101 and a on-line link. Hope that they are of some value to you. By the way what body[ies] of water will you be fishing?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
So would it be a good idea to just go and get a cheap flyline to learn with? Does not seem to be a good idea to use a $20 - $50 line if it's just going to get tore up.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]You bet. Particularily if the only place you have to practice is over concrete or on the street. However, if you have a regional park nearby with a lake then I would have no problem practicing with a good line.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
If you can find a grassy place that is lit up at night, like a football field, pratice there. Your line will be very visible and you will see all kinds of stuff : how tight your loops are, how long to let your back cast go, how accurate you can cast, etc. Mostly paractice your timing on the backcast. Good luck.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there B_A - here is a site to a downloadable free video featuring none other than Lefty Kreh demonstrating the proper fundamentals of fly casting. It is a rather large file at 6.7mb. However, if you have DSL 384 it should take about a minute to download.

[/size][/green][/font][url "http://flyfisherman.com/skills/lkaids/"]http://flyfisherman.com/skills/lkaids/[/url]
[/center]
[signature]
[Smile]This is a lecture course!
As you can tell by all the written advice you are getting.

The local fly fishing club was giving lessons. I seized on the opportunity.
Best $20 I ever spent.

Yes a Cheap line, Short stiff leader and be sure to keep the Cat away from your line.

Just flip it at first. Practice the "lift" and watch the line as it straightens out behind you. That's THE most important part of fly casting.
Patience.

He had us learning on a 'Dry' line, white, so we could see what we were doing better. Or he could see us better.

There' s nothing more exciting to a Fisherman, than to approach some water, and through the brush, catch a glimpse of that bright white line sailing out in a straight line....and it looks good casting in your front yard too.

You need a mentor. Somebody who can watch the Vid's with you and then yell at you when your not doing it right.
Watch out! Your wife or Daughter will very soon, out cast you!
[signature]