Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a bottom bouncer0
Does anyone know how to use a bottom bouncer for walleye fishing? I've never used one , but I hear they do work. Would it work at Willard? Thanks in advance .

AFDan52
[signature]
I'm in no way an expert walleye fisherman, but I have targeted them at willard a few times. The bottom bouncer is a very effective way to fish for walleye at Willard. the only advice I'd give you is to get one or more (Willard has swallowed a few of mine) of the lighter ones. I had to play with the amount of line I let out before I found the perfect range. I'm sure there are other people who have more experience with them than me, so chime in people!

Justin Huether

P.S. I second what DennisW says in the next post!!
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Hey Dan, there are a few thing that will make you a better bottom bouncer. First, get a variety of weights including 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5. The weight you use will depend on the depth and speed. The way to tell which to use is always try to keep your line at a 45 degree angle. Fishing deeper or going faster requires a heavier BB. If you get more that a 45 deg angle, you will snag a lot, but the 45 deg angle will keep your BB in the proper direction to the bottom.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The next common mistake is to let your rig plow the bottom. Instead, you want the wire to be just above the bottom, so that if you lower your rod you'll "tick" bottom. Every 10-30 seconds or so I drop the rod to find bottom. Though hey, sometimes more noise calls in the fish.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Though I'll sometimes use a floating crankbait with a BB, mostly I use a crawler harness with 1 or 1/2 a worm. Move slow, usually just fast enough to turn the blades. Make sure the crawler is spread out on the rig so the worm doesn't twist and spin. I sit on my bow and run my electric to follow the bottom contour. Set the hook with a sweeping lateral motion, rather than up, and feed some line when they're biting lite.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The best rod for a BB is long to get it away from the boat, and a baitcaster or trolling reel is best. A lot of guys like flipping switches. You can also pull BB/crawler hanesses behind inline planer boards. Just let out line 'til it ticks, then find bottom a second time (you usually have to let out a little more), then attach to the planer board and set.[/size][/blue]
Better info you will not find. Thanks Dennis. Obviously a pure bred walleye man who has pulled many a bottom bouncer in his day.
[signature]
Hey Dennis, Thanks for the detailed info. I have never really fished for Walleye before, and I really want to start out with as much info as I can get.

AFDan52
[signature]
DennisW has hit the nail on the head. They do have a feel to them, it takes a while to get used to, so give it some practice. You'll loose a few in the process, but when you get it down, they will catch you some fish. Good luck when you head out.
[signature]
I like mine to feel the ticking on the bottom all the time, the secret is to hold the rod at a certain angle to keep it from snagging, what i do when I feel a snag coming on, you pull the rod up high and then it wil come out, and settle in its tickin' path. Why I like to tick it 24/7 is because walleyes usually stay close to the bottom. It's where they are.

Sure you'll find them suspended, and thats where planer boards comes in. I'm a big fan of planer boards. Suspended fish will move away from the on-coming boat to the side, and that's where my crankbaits comes to them. (It doesn't have to be solely crankbaits, can be spinners, crawler harnesses etc.)

I'm also a big fan of Jet Divers at Deer Creek and Starvation. They do get the lures deep down, and stay there until the bite comes on.

You don't need a trolling rods for those three. (Bottom bouncers, planer boards, and Jet Divers) See... a walleye fanatic can have lots of fun getting their lures down to their mouths![Smile][Wink]
[signature]
Hi Walleye Paul and Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have a blast fishing for walleye this year.I know it is going to take some time to get these things to work for me, but I'm ready to try.

AFDan52
[signature]
Hey AFDan, just a couple more things on bottom bouncers. Play the wind if you can. A nice steady breeze blowing into shore can stir up food and get the fishies in a feeding frenzy. I f you can pull a harness without running a motor, you can catch fish very shallow. I've caught Walleye in the clear waters of Deer Creek as shallow as 7' with a 3 oz. bouncer right under the boat. In the middle of the afternoon. Pay close attention when the water gets dirty.
Also, sometimes you want to stay just above bottom. On big mudflats, you can stir up so much mud with your bouncer that the fish can't find your bait. Thats where the lift drop that Dennis mentioned really helps out. Following fish will attack on the lift, as your bait comes up out of the murky stuff. If you just drag bottom, they will follow the mudline for a while and not hit. Extra long leaders can help a bit too. We found that a 48" or so lead caught more fish than a 36" lead while fishing the flats at Deer Creek last spring.

walleyebob
[signature]
One more thing to add to walleyebob's post. Everything is all there just like he says. It all depends on how hard the wind blows. If it's just a breeze,I say to turn off the motor and let the wind drift your boat. Then if the winds are abit more stronger, you can back troll.

Another thing, if you're in the mudflats, use the crawler harness spinner with a floater or two. to allow it to float just above the rising mud. Good luck![cool]
[signature]
I just want to say thanks for the info. I thought I had the BB figured out until I read all your post.
[signature]