Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRE's
For those of you who do not know, MRE means meal ready to eat. Well all I can say is that they have come a long way since I first jointed the military. However you look at them they are a good survival food. Those of you who have access to a military base can buy MRE's out of the BX,PX or AAFFES. They run about fifty dollars for a 12 pack. Those who do not have access to a base can buy them online or from a military surplus store. They run a little more but they will keep you alive in an emerging situation.
[signature]
My buddy and i experimented with some MRE's last deer season. All i can say is, yuck.
[signature]
the heat and eat mre are the better ones and they are simple to use.
[signature]
those items are nice, and some are down right edible, as for being practical for the avrage budget, its like eating peanut butter sandwich for the price of a steak dinner.

you can buy them streight form the manufacture. and yes each and every meal is vary expencive. some reaching up to 8 dollars per every meal.

for those of who can afford them they are great, but thay demand a lot of dedicated storage space. and have half the shelf life as the war surplus foods of the 60s and 70s.

you might find stocking up on canned soup, stews, spagetti and meatballs, ravioli, chili, ect..., penutbutter, honey, dryed cookies like vanilla wafers, saltines, gram, individual puddings, canned meats like potted meat, viena sausage, tuna, chickin, ham, spam, treat, enough water for at least two weeks, more the better. Plastic spoons and forks are a must.

you may be eating cold food out of a can, but it will sustain you for long periods of time at a minimal cost.

in todays times we can find our selves trapped in situations like loss of job that can go for 90 days or more and you will need the stockpiled foods to keep you going untill resorces can be obtained. and it is evident that after "Katrina" that it will be at least two weeks at the earliest that our government can respond with aid in a natural desaster.

what to do with the stockpile of canned and dryed foods? Rotate it in to your normal week to week food supply by date on cans. or you can donate it to charities and soup kitchens as the exporation dates come near.

once your main food and water reserves are stockpiled, you then make another stock pile of noodles, self rising flower, corn meal, crisco shortning, pancake mix, oatmeal, rice, brown sugar, white sugar, macoroni and cheese boxes. these items are budget streachers.
[signature]
my dad got those when rita when over his house in florida knocking the power out there for three weeks.

he brought one up to me to show me what every one was eating after things settled down.

they worked well, they got pipeing hot. I was impressed. he realy liked them, me, I would have rather had a can of cold chicken noodle soup or can of cold hormel chile, By the way cold hormel chili makes excilent chili sandwiches[Tongue]
[signature]
LOL, "YUCK" is the initial reaction, but you've got to know which ones to eat. Ham Slice MRE's are good, and they come with M&M's. Meat loaf and chicken and rice is good. THe trick to the ones that aren't so good is to dump all the hot sauce in there and mix it up. If you try and eat it cold, they really suck too.

But, when you've got nothing else to eat, they taste like steak and lobster. There was a time when I had a choice between Camel and rice or an MRE. When you've only got options like that, the MRE's start looking pretty good. LOL, needless to say though, I ate my share of camel too. It was nice to get some natural protien when you were sleep deprived and strung out from stress.
[signature]
MREs aren't too bad. Personally, in many of the activities I do weight is a big issue and those durn things are heavy and bulky; especially compared to about a million other things that taste better anyway IMHO.
[signature]
depending on which set you get also depends on the shelf life. anything made after 1995 comes in a Tan bag (i believe its 95), any before that comes in a dark brown bag. the dark brown bags have a 35 year shelf life while the tan ones have a 15 to 20 year shelf life if both are stored some where moderate ie. a closet in the house. there were only two of the dark brown ones that i really enjoyed and would be to be issued, #10 (ham slice) and #12 (escalloped potatos and ham). as for the new tan ones i believe there are three different menus. menu 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36. each is different and some are an experiance of their own. personal recomendations are the chicken fajitas (awesome), and the pork chow mein. they average about 2500 calories and could help when you are in a pinch. as far as price, i have no clue, i get all mine issued to me. i used to see them in the commisary years ago, but have not seen them since, but i have not been looking either. when i was stationed in cali i always had three in my truck just in case i would get stuck. the other benefits of the new ones are the heaters. 8 times out of 10 i dont care if i have a hot meal as long as i eat. i would however save the heaters. when it would get cold i would open up my ruck and pull 4 out and activate them. put two in my pant pockets and two in my chest pockets on my uniform. thaey would warm me right up and i would stay warm for a decent amount of time.
[signature]
MRE= Meals rejected by everyone
[signature]
seems no one else liked these. the ready to eat , and heats i thought were awesome.when your drunk and hungry in the ice shelter and wendy's is 11 miles away, and the fish are biting you'll say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, chili con carne. there was one that had raspberry applesause in it, i was in heaven.but ill admit, the gum tastes like poop
[signature]