Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank god I thought I was the only striper nut in Vegas!!!
I have been searching for a long time for a local fishing forum. I fish Mead every weekend at least. I have an 18 ft open bow set up for striper fishing. I am relatively new to the area (2 years) I come from San Diego and tuna fishing on a much larger boat. Stripers are the closest thing I can find to the tuna. I do pretty good and have been fishing all of my life, but I would sure love to get some tips from the Lake Mead vets on the fall fishing patterns. Maybe even meet up with some of you other boaters on the lake. I usually hit the lake around 5 on friday and stay untill 7 pm on saturday. I catch most of my stripers trolling bomber a's in the larger coves or soaking frozen shad or chovies. Anyways I am glad I found you guys and would love any feedback.

BIO:
34 years old
caucasian
Raised in Lake Havasu, and San Diego
Welder, Fabricator, Custom Glass Fabrication
Member Local 1780 Union
boat: 18' Larsen
Hobbies: Fishing, Hunting, Anything with a motor in it.
Married, 4 kids
Name: Tom Dixon
[signature]
Tdog,

Welcome aboard. I too know what you mean. I came here from SD and there is nothing like a home guard yellowtail pulling on your line except a summer run of tuna. I used to work at a bait shop at the point while going thru college so i was spoiled on the local fleet. I personally have switched my tactics to lighter lines and have started catching stripers on the fly. Never thought I would pick up fly fishing too used to two speeds. Like you said Mead is the main game in town. Also I have put a few stripers away using artifishable plastics I got some six inch rainbow trout lures last time I was in SD just for the winter stocking.
[signature]
Welcome to our humble home. Glad to see someone fired up about fishing that is willing to share information. Sounds like you have the Lake Mead game figured out! Looking at past posts is a good way to check out what happens at Lake Mead.
I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in the future.
BaySport
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I hope too see some of you out on the water. When I was in San Diego I was a moderator on a site much like this one. (AMS Fishishing Buddy Board) It was one of the best resources we all had out on the water, and kept us occupied on those rainy days. We always had a radio channel posting on the going fishing thread so we all knew where to reach each other. Sticking together on the Pacific Ocean was a neccessity, but on the Lake it is just fun, and makes for a good day. Not to mention it made it easier to meet for a beer afterward. Anyways. if any of you are heading to Mead this weekend let me know. I am always looking for new fishing bubbies. My boat is named the SANITY III.
[signature]
A hearty welcome to the board, TDOG!!!

Yeah, I have to admit that we're all pretty nuts about the striper fishing at Mead. Although I have to admit that I am jealous of the rest of the guys on this board since they can go to Mead on a regular basis. I hail from Los Angeles and am able to venture out to Mead 3-5 times a year. I usually take 4-8 day fishing/camping trips to Mead, typically staying at Temple Bar, AZ. I have also fished nearly Callville Bay in the Boulder Basin as well as Echo Bay in the Overton Arm.

In the last couple years, I have become a real fan of the houseboat. Yeah, the mobility is bad for fishing but the convenience of fishing till late at night or early in the morning is second to none. Everything you need is right there on the houseboat. And I can't tell you how great it is to spend nights on the lake. No wind. Very peaceful with stars above you and tons of stripers below you.

One thing I've learned about Mead (no matter where you are on Mead), the fishing is best at night. Morning action is good to great. Day action is okay. But night action is guaranteed!!! I usually chum the waters with 4-5 chopped anchovies right after sunset. Striper action typically takes off from there. Although sometimes I've had to chum a couple hours after sunset as well....but the stripers will eventually find you.

I know many of the good fishing areas on the AZ side of Mead so if you need any info, please let me know. Personally, I prefer the AZ side of Mead simply because there is less boat traffic there. You hardly see any jet or water skiers. On the other hand, you also don't hear of any "monster" stripers being caught on the AZ side of Mead. I know of a few locals who work at the Temple Bar Marina who have caught 10 to 15 lb stripers but they are very rare there. I prefer the 1 to 2 lbers myself. The meat on the small stripers are real good eating versus the larger stripers.

Well, best of luck catching a monster striper!!!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
I like to use lighter line for the challenge as well. Not to mention I can really cast my line out there with 4-6 lb test. Although I've never tried fly fishing at Mead or anywhere else for that matter. I guess that'll be my next challenge...learning how to fly fish.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
I am extremely pleased with the response I have gotten from this board. I love fishing, and I love talking about fishing. I know what you mean about the houseboat. What you lose in manuverability you more than make up for with convenience. There is nothing better than waking up at the crack of dawn in your long jons and sitting out on the back deck with a pole and a cup of coffee. Next time you get out this way drop me a line. We love to camp on the lake, and we do the houseboat thing at least twice a year. A typical fishing trip for me (every weekend for the most part) starts saturday morning about 8 am. I fish all day and all evening on sat. and then sleep on the floor of my boat. Get back at it around 5 am and fish to around 7 pm on sunday. I think I may have a problem..... But if this is bad, I don't want to be good.
[signature]
Well, I'm actually trying to get out there for a 4 day houseboat trip from 12/26 (Tues) -12/29 (Friday). I think 4 or 5 of us are going to try to take the new houseboat out of Temple Bar. Temple Bar Marina just got 3 new houseboats in August of 2006. This past October, 7 of us took one out and travelled throughout the Temple Basin. Check out my pics from previous posts. I think the views from Temple Basin are the best at Mead. Very scenic...and you can see the base of the Grand Canyon as well. At sunset, the view is breathe taking.

The fishing is really consistent at night. I fish starting from when I wake up around 10:00 a.m. all the way through 2, 3 and sometimes 4 in the morning. Of course, we make time for meals, bathroom breaks, and afternoon naps. That's why I love the houseboats. It has everything you need. The "Forever Houseboats" are the best. I tried Seven Crowns' houseboat a few years back...and boy was that crap. The new houseboats at Temple Bar also have a flatscreen t.v. and DVD player to keep the women entertained. Unfortunately, the ladies we bring tend to fish for only 2-3 hours every day. Their loss.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get out there on 12/26. I know it's going to be freezing but I'll be okay so long as it doesn't rain. A few buddies and I always go camping and fishing in the middle of winter. The houseboat is going to be a nice change from roughing it out in a tent in 30 degree temps.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Drop me a line when you are coming out. Sounds like our ladies keep the same schedule when it comes to fishing. But they can always take out my smaller boat and play while we fish, or vice-versa. Like I said we are always looking for new friends who enjoy fishing. If nothing else let me know when you drop anchor and I will stop by and say hello.
[signature]
I'll definitely let you and the board know if we come out on the 26th. You should check out Lake Mead on [url "http://www.googleearth.com"]www.googleearth.com[/url]
The satellite images of Mead are fantastic. Although some of the images are pretty old, I found that most of the images are only a year old. It will give you a good idea as to what the coves and basins look like.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Welcome to the forum, there's not too many here but hope to grow some, I've been in this hellhole for 11 years now transplant from Santa Barbara, grew up working and fishing the sporties from Morro to SD and Mex, now Longrange and trips to the coast fill in the tedium here in the Valley.
Hope to see ya on the water.
and did you see the reports from Willow last week?

Here's my ride, call on VHF 16 Melissa Marie

[Image: DSCF00181.JPG]
[signature]
Sweet ride, 2nakiller. Sorry to hear you're hating Vegas. Don't feel too bad though...Mead is only a half an hour away.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Hey TDOG,

Just thought I'd let you know that we'll be at Mead from the 26th to the 29th. We're taking a houseboat out of Temple Bar Marina, AZ for a 4 day trip. Are you gonna be on the lake during that week?

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
TDOG,

I believe we typically monitor channel 9 or 16. I'll double check and get back to you. I know I've heard radio chatter from Callville Bay, NV but I'm not sure if I've heard anyone West of that point. Since we're at the Temple Basin in AZ, I don't think we get most of the radio traffic from NV. Do you ever make it over to the AZ side of Mead?

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]