Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank god I thought I was the only striper nut in Vegas!!!
A hearty welcome to the board, TDOG!!!

Yeah, I have to admit that we're all pretty nuts about the striper fishing at Mead. Although I have to admit that I am jealous of the rest of the guys on this board since they can go to Mead on a regular basis. I hail from Los Angeles and am able to venture out to Mead 3-5 times a year. I usually take 4-8 day fishing/camping trips to Mead, typically staying at Temple Bar, AZ. I have also fished nearly Callville Bay in the Boulder Basin as well as Echo Bay in the Overton Arm.

In the last couple years, I have become a real fan of the houseboat. Yeah, the mobility is bad for fishing but the convenience of fishing till late at night or early in the morning is second to none. Everything you need is right there on the houseboat. And I can't tell you how great it is to spend nights on the lake. No wind. Very peaceful with stars above you and tons of stripers below you.

One thing I've learned about Mead (no matter where you are on Mead), the fishing is best at night. Morning action is good to great. Day action is okay. But night action is guaranteed!!! I usually chum the waters with 4-5 chopped anchovies right after sunset. Striper action typically takes off from there. Although sometimes I've had to chum a couple hours after sunset as well....but the stripers will eventually find you.

I know many of the good fishing areas on the AZ side of Mead so if you need any info, please let me know. Personally, I prefer the AZ side of Mead simply because there is less boat traffic there. You hardly see any jet or water skiers. On the other hand, you also don't hear of any "monster" stripers being caught on the AZ side of Mead. I know of a few locals who work at the Temple Bar Marina who have caught 10 to 15 lb stripers but they are very rare there. I prefer the 1 to 2 lbers myself. The meat on the small stripers are real good eating versus the larger stripers.

Well, best of luck catching a monster striper!!!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [TDOG] Thank god I thought I was the only striper nut in Vegas!!! - by Mead_Stripers - 11-29-2006, 08:52 PM