Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego 1/2 & 3/4 Day Scene
[center][size 2][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=25822"][Image: winner.gif][/url][/size][/center][size 2]San Diego Local Fishing" [/size]

1/2 Day: To begin on Sunday, fishing in the morning for 12 on the Malihini turned up limits of sand bass and a few sculpin off IB. There was a slight current heading south and very little wind. The depth was around 110 feet and the water hasn't changed much. Bass were lethargic to begin, they would not hit stripped bait or take artificials, only sardines. There was some success on plastics, but nothing notable. It was in general a steady pick. In the afternoon, the weather went to hell, the current picked up drastically as with the wind. This made it impossible for any of the large sportfishing boats to anchor which led the boats up to "controlled drifts". The captain decided to head up north to the point and try for whatevers there. After an hour off the kelp beds, a large bird school came in with a decent school of barracuda and another large school of mixed sand bass and calicos. It came out to 40+ barracuda and 150 sand bass for 30 semi-odd anglers. the barries were wide open to anyone that could throw a jig which consisted on this trip of the pin-heads, and the captain. Nice sized calicos and sand bass were readily taking surface iron, brings up thoughts of summer.

3/4 Day: The yellows are here. Here being the Coronado Islands. Decent sized schools of breezers were seen through out the day. The largest concentration of yellows were later on in the day around 3 on the NW side of South Island (a few 100 yards south of the northern point). They were rolling on the surface and quite a few times busting on bait. **JIGS ONLY** the yellows refuse anything but jigs right now. A 6x JR yoyoed, or if they're on the surface...well, use a surface iron. Our boat managed only one (Charger) and of course it was the capt. who landed it. But, once again, if anyone was capable of casting a jig, there would be plenty yellows to go round. If anyone is wondering on the size, they're big...ours was around 28 lbs. Many of the fish seen were 25+. Also, there are the usual bottom fish down here, with white fish in abundance if anyone is interested there are also some nice lings to be caught here too.
[signature]
ShortStike, your killin' me.

Awesome Report!!!!

I am going to enter your report in the weekly raffle.

On the 3/4 day trip what outfits do you recommend?
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]For the fishing right now, depending on what you are targeting I would recommend the following in general:[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]For the yellows itfs all on the artificials, either a surface iron, or a heavy iron. Right now, the colors that I have seen work (not being the only colors that will work) are dark greens, and sardine (olive green and white). Nothing too new or surprising on the model lures; Taddy 45fs or Salas 7x lights. On heavy irons, there is nothing new either on what is catching; 6x JR yellow/white seems to be the ticket for the suspended yellows, or the bottom huggers. These winter yellows are on the larger size with some reaching 30 lbs. most being in the 20-25 lb. category means heavier tackle. Its personal preference on line weight, but with the size of the fish, # 40 is adequate. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Bottom fishing consists of lingcod, white fish, and smaller rockfish. The lings are in the 4-8 lb. range, they are in decent numbers and almost all being caught on sardines. The depth being fished is anywhere from 80-150 feet, so donft bring out the 6/0 reels. Many of the spots being fished (in hopes for yellows showing up) are off of the northern points of North and South Island. Meaning shallow water, which has been turning up good numbers of white fish, mixed with bass, and a few nice sized sheepshead. Suggested tackle for these areas (if fishing the bottom) is a light 25 lb. setup. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]4/0 reel w/ #30-40[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Jig Stick[/size][/font]Light-Medium 25 lb.
[signature]
[cool]I'll be keeping an eye on the Coronados. This has been one of my better winters so far.

Seems the YT have been getting bigger lately? Hope they stay scattered & spotty enough to keep from attracting attention from the commercials... Sad

Fishslayer
[signature]
Awesome report ShortStrike!

Thank you for the heads up! Time to break out the Iron!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Hey Buddy,Thanks for takeing the time to let us know what going on in S.D.....Like Always,A "PRO-REPORTER'S" Perspective...IS...Paramount...Sorry,About the phone tag,read on,I'll Call you Between Mon. eve. or Tues. eve. 5-9pm. Take Care......
[signature]
This year has been odd in the water temperature. So, it makes it hard to say when the yellows will come in. The warm water (very far) south that was expanding and going to head up north for this summer is actually decreasing rapidly in size. It still may reach up here, but not till later in the season. My thought is that there will be a steady pick on the yellows starting in late march with boats geting small counts on they yellows, till later into summer. The Rock Pile south of the islands will be a good place to check out rather then the island for its clearer water and slightly warmer than the Coronados. So when things start getting into swing check out south of the islands.
[signature]
OUTSTANDING REPORT ! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SHORTSTRIKE !
[signature]