Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing line
After a brief note from fishhound, I wanted to get some input on fishing line. I used to use a great line, Royal Bonnyl, which fishhound tells me was made by Garcia. It was a brown monofilament line that was extremely thin, a little stiff maybe, but strong as heck. It was easily 30-50% stronger than the same lines its diamter and rated strength.

I see new fluorocarbon lines now, as well as monofilaments (yes, Sad, but I've not been fishing until just of late, after a 10-12 year hiatus).

What do you guys recommend for thin, strong, low visibility lines?
[signature]
[size 3]I am glad to know that you will be upgrading to a more modern type of line. There are many newer ones beside staight flourocarbon. Which I particularly would not really recommend except for leader material. I use it only on leaders.[/size]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There are some new copolymer lines out now. They are quite abrasion resistant, have low memory, good knot strength and smaller diameters than mono lines of the same pound tests(for example a 6 pound copolymer line has about the same diameter as 4 pound mono). I use a lot of ultra light line in 2, 3, 4, and 6 pound test. And I have not had too much problem with the knots holding. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have used several different manufacture's versions of it. Cabellas, Yo Zuri, Silver Thread and a couple of other big brand names. They really are pretty comparable in quality as far as I have been able to tell. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One that I have just started using recently is Silver Thread Excalibre. So far, I have not had much problem with the knots on it. And I am using it in 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 pound test.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I concur with Fishhound on the Excalibur. I have used it for quite a few years and have always liked it. There are many other good lines to work with as well.

Stren XXX, Trilene Big Game, and P-Line XXX are also just as good depending on the type of fishing that you plan to do.[cool]
[signature]
Again, like previously mentioned, all those lines are high quality; Trilene, Excaliber, XXX Stren. But, I prefer Power Pro over those lines now that i've used it. Like Fishhound and Tubn2, i've pretty much used every line known to man. There are times when Mono is a must and braid just won't work because of the stretch factor. But when possible, there really is no line that matches the quality, strength, castability, and abbrasion resistance of Power Pro.

As far as a hybrid line, I think Yo Zuri "Hybrid" is as good as it gets. Be for warned though, if you're in a cold climate, Yo Zuri has a tendacy to have bad memory. I remember Steve and I had this conversation about a year or so ago; about the memory factor that is. Steve told me how bad the memory was on the Yo Zuri, LOL, and he was right. However, I found that when it's hot out side and the line is warm, it's managable. All lines are not created equal.

As far as a pure Mono line, I like Ande or maybe Big Game the best. [cool]
[signature]
So I take it that the Maxima Chameleon line, which I used to like quite a bit, must be a bit outdated and not as good as the other lines mentioned? I never cared for stren years ago--it was mediocre at best. Perhaps it is better now then.

I suppose, as mentioned, the answer lies in simply trying what has been suggested, and going from there.

I don't like fussing with memory, but I do like the much thinner lines.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
[signature]
to set you up with the right line for the job we need to know what you are fishing for, List all species.

If you have multiple reels or spools you may want to divercify so that you can get in as many fishing trips, I have at least two spools for every reel, different lines for different fish and weight clasification of each species.
[signature]
Right now I only have an ultralight with a shimano symetre. I will fish for crappie and smallmouth in the reservoirs here in sw Idaho, as well as some trout at CJ Strike and some of the more central lakes--brown, cuts, and 'bows. And of course, some creek 'bows and brookies. All on 2-4# test with small spinners, jigs, and occasionally small hardbaits (as soon as I make some).

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/USER/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Lures%20October/DSCF1466.JPG[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/USER/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Lures%20October/DSCF1466.JPG[/img]
[signature]
[size 1]Maxima Chameleon is still on the market.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]you can picke it up at major sporting good stores, cabela's, bass pro, gander mountain, [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]probably not at k mart, wal mart, mijers, and other thrift stores.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
Detailed Description Maxima Chameleon monofilament has superior knot strength and abrasion resistance. For over 40 years this German engineered line has been a favorite among anglers.
2-4lb, 280yds 6lb, 250yds,
8-15lb, 220yds 20-40lb, 250yds
[center][Image: Chameleon%20Maxi%20Spool.jpg] [/center] [center] [/center] [center]240 yards runs around $7-$14[/center] [center] [/center] [left]remember as I said before, application is the key to selecting your line of choice.[/left]
[signature]
So do you recommend Maxima chameleon for the 2-4# test? What I would really, really like is a modern day equivalent of the Royal Bonnyl. That stuff was wire thin, but strong! And it was this dingy brown which made it ideal. I had more hits on it than my buddy who was fishing a clear monofilament, with the same lures, standing right next to me.
[signature]
I have one of those my self.

here are the lines and applications I use that reel for.

Ice fishing, Crappie and perch. [ul] [li]line on the spool, Bass Pro's Crappie Line 4 lb. its a great line, economicly the best deal on the market. color changes from dish water to brown and back. good knot line. no line stech.[/li][/ul]
I have used the line for trout as well. I keep one spool loaded with this line year round. I like it that well. price was $4.50 for 500 yards. I am using the same spool I bought 4 years ago. just keep it in a cool dark environment and it will give you good shelf life.

one spool I put on silver thread. Man I like that stuff.

I like the silver thread because it has both qualities of the maxima and trylene. and wont try to unraval on the reel.
[signature]
I've heard of the silver thread, and have been intrigued by it. I might try a spool of that on one for sure. What do you think of the Maxima ultra green stuff? I know it's soft and limp, but assumed that it breaks easily or is not very abrasion resisitant.
[signature]
You will be happy with either the crappie line from bass pro, or stren's silver thread.

if brown is color of choice go with the crapie line. you can only get crappie line in 4 pound test.

the silver thread will vanish in the water. suprior strenth and is the thinest mono you will find any where for its test. you can get the silver thread in most any test.
[signature]
Okay, I'm sold. Looking them up to buy right now.

Wasn't there some mention of spooling the line here a while ago, also? Something like start wrapping it on your reel spool, stop, release the bail and see if it unwinds. If so, you're supposed to turn over the spool of line, is that correct?

I used to purchase the line from Sunset Sports in Idaho Falls, and they had it in bulk and would power wind it onto your spool for little to nothing. It was much cheaper and more efficient than buying it off the shelf.
[signature]
that one I havent tried. I would deffenatly hold off on it untill you find some one who dose use it and ask what application and type reel they are using it on.
[signature]
there are three ways to spool you line.

the right way

steight on

and the wrong way.

right way,
If you are going streight spool to spool, you want the line to come off the top.

If you are realing it on the reel using your rod, just thread the line tough the rod and set the stock reel any where it can spin freely, you wont have any problems with line twist.

now if you are using an assisted spool holder on the end of your rod to spool your line, it dose make a differance as to how the line comes off the spool, [ul] [li]since this holds the stock spool on sideways you have to match the curl of the line, meaning when the line comes off of the stock spool it should be coming off counter clockwise, if it comes off clockwise you will be creating line twist..[/li][/ul]
should you get line twist the best thing to do is let the line float down the river with no weight on it and then reel it back in. that will get rid of the twist.

you can develop line twist from casting and retreiving and from trolling. As well as battaling a big fish.
[signature]
[black][size 3]That's a nice reel. I'm sure you got the extra spool with it. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If it were me, I would put Silver Thread #4 pound on one spool and #6 pound on the other. Silver thread #4 has small diameter about the size of #2 or #3 pound. That would cover you if you latched into a larger trout or a small mouth as well as giving you the ultra light experience. Plus it would handle your hardbaits well and because of the small diameter it almost disappears in the water for those line shy fish.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Would that be the Silver Thread AN40?
[signature]
maybe this will help you dicide wich one to pick.[Wink]

Silver Thread Trout Line was designed to compliment the newest trout fishing techniques used today. When bait fishing for trout, you need a fishing line that's very sensitive to even the lightest strike. It's got to have low-stretch qualities to set the hook quickly and efficiently in moving water. Silver Thread Trout Line possesses the same small-diameter high-strength ratio that made us famous in a green, low-stretch formula designed specifically for trout. Available in 1 pound increments to fit any trout fishing situation. An excellent leader material for fly fisherman. [Image: silverthreadtrout-c.jpg]
Silver Thread AN40 was developed with the stealth approach in mind. Designed with an incredibly small diameter, this line can really cover the distance. The AN40 formula is very limp and supple, making it a favorite among fishermen. If you require long casts and low underwater visibility to get close to the fish, look no further than AN40. Available in original silver and low-visibility green.
Filler Spools: 330 yards (4-10 lb test) || 275 yards (12-30 lb test) || 274 meters || Avail in Silver or Green [Image: AN40_m.jpg]
Super Silver Thread was designed to be a high-quality all-around fishing line. With excellent knot strength, abrasion resistance and a small diameter, this line can be used anywhere for any species of fish. Copolymer technology makes this line very easy to cast due to the consistency of diameter throughout the entire spool of line. No matter what your underwater prey, Super Silver Thread is a good choice to take along on your next fishing adventure.
Filler Spools: 330 Yards || 302 meters || 4 through 30 lb test [Image: Super_m.jpg]
One of only a couple of TRUE Fluorocarbon lines!
Silver Thread Fluorocarbon fishing line is virtually invisible under water but has excellent visibility above the water. Fluorocarbon material is very abrasion-resistant and possesses great strength qualities. This product can be used where maximum strength is needed, but visibility must be kept to a minimum. Excellent as a leader on a Carolinae rig or braided line leader when flipping or pitching in clear water. Fluorocarbon gives you sensitivity and low-stretch features not found in other monofilament lines. [Image: silverthreadsflourocarbon-c.jpg]
Silver Thread Excalibur is the strongest, most abrasion-resistant copolymer line on the market, period! If you’re looking for a line to withstand the punishment big fish can dish out in heavy cover, this line is it. Developed by polymerizing multiple nylon monomers, Silver Thread Excalibur is stronger and more stable. Plus, its diameter is consistent throughout the entire spool. What does this mean to you? Better quality, innovative technology and the best heavy-duty fishing line available.

Each spool comes with an elastic line-keeper. Keep this keeper on the unused portion of the line while on the spool to protect it from harmful light rays. You can also use the keeper to assist in winding unused line back onto the spool. Poke the line through the keeper just behind the pull tab, then pull the pull tab around the spool to wind the line back on. [Image: Excalibur_m.jpg]
[signature]
Very cool--I will definitely check it out. Thx
[signature]
Dave,
Thx--contemplating the an40 and the super.
[signature]