Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing the spinner
Just started making lures, got all my stuff last night and I've been working on it ever since [cool]. I wanted to ask about a couple of problems I am encountering:

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19904;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19905;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19906;]

1) I have round-nose pliers, but am having difficulty with the final trim of the wire, after making the loop and wrapping the wire around itself a couple of times--I am ending up with a tag that sticks out more than I want. I'm afraid I'll continually pick up debris and also hang my line up on this piece of wire. How can I get it flush? (I think that maybe the inexpensive side-cutters are the problem?)

2) I picked up some model car enamel paint, and applied a coat on a brass lure body last night. The paint still was tacky after more than twelve hours. Should I forget the enamel and just go to a hobby shot and get the vinyl enamel? Should I thin it with enamel thinner? I am making small spinners (0, 1 blades) and it was still messy and difficult.

p.s. Tubedude--I just posted here, assuming you would be checking the board--always look forward to your input.

Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I edited in the pics you sent me by email. We all like to see them. They look good to me...better than most first attempts. I assure you that they will catch fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of things on the wire. My first impression, after looking at your pics, is that you are using wire that is too heavy. I know you bought the wire forms, but they are usually heavier than you need for the small spinners you will be making. I usually use .024 - .026. That is plenty heavy but is still supple enough to be easier to work with...and to cut.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second, you are probably right about your cutters. I have a small pair of good wire cutters that usually trims the wire tags nice and close (blue handle in the attached pic). However, whenever the cut is not as close as I would like, I use my longnose pliers to squeeze the point down parallel with the wire shaft and/or use a small file or stone to grind down the excess...or at least to dull the sharp edge so it does not nick my line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Excess wire sticking up after the cut will not pick up any more algae or create any more snags than a closer cut. But, it does have the potential of hanging up on your line, on a cast, or of nicking the line if the edges are too sharp. More than anything it is a "cosmetic" thing. It does not look good to a fussy fisherman. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would not recommend using the model builders enamel on your lures. It does not hold well and will chip off quickly when banged on underwater structure. I recommend one thin coat of either clear vinyl jig enamel or (better) a coat of clear 2-part jig making epoxy. Do not use the epoxies from the hardware store. Most of them are not waterproof, over time, and often turn yellow. That can ruin a light color or bright shine on a lure. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also experiment with mixing some fine glitters into your clear coat, for extra sparkle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want a better looking eye, try making a preliminary bend of about 30 degrees...and then bringing the wire around your round nosed pliers from there. That will avoid having the round loop sitting off to one side. Once you get the hang of making good round loops with the round nosed pliers, you can avoid having to pay more for the wire forms and you can both save money and use the right size wire for any project.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude
Thanks for putting up the photos and for the info. I know you told me about the jig paint before, I just got anxious and picked up what was readily available. After the first coat, I knwe it was the wrong thing to do. I will have to drive into Boise to see if Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse has some vinyl jig paint, or order some.

I'll also pick up some good cutters. I did notice the d-shaped loop from the roundnose pliers, but the free guide I downloaded from luremaking.com mentioned that, and said one would grow accustomed to it. I like your prebend idea, however, and a more centered, round eye.

The wire forms I ordered were .026 dia., so perhaps I can shop for a smaller wire form. On the other hand, can I use straight wire and make my own open eye with just the roundnose pliers and needlenose, or do I need to purchase a wire former? The latter was pricy, and since I'm not doing production, I opted for the premade forms.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I bought a wire forming tool a long time ago. After wrestling with it for awhile, and finding that I could make my own loops faster and easier...if not better...with roundnose plier...I retired the wire forming tool to my junk drawer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a picture I made some time back that does not really show everything the way I would like to. Specifically, I do not show the 4th step...bending the tag end of the wire back parallel with the main wire shaft. You can probably figure that out. You can leave that tag piece as short or long as you want. Some guys leave it long and then bend it over the top of the first metal body piece and trim it. That makes sure that it will never spring open. Not much chance of that anyway, but if you fish for steelhead or other strong fish, it is a measure of insurance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For most of my spinners, these days, I just cut a few inches of wire and make a loop at one end. Then, I stack on the components and finish with a second loop. I use a split ring on the bottom loop to add whatever type of hook I want to use. The split ring also makes is possible to change hooks if you damage one...or want to add a fly or whatever.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Janns sells 30 foot spools of wire for about $1.50. You can about 60 to 75 spinners from that amount...depending on how long you cut your pieces to work with. You might also find some at Sportsmans or Cabelas. Try a couple of different sizes to get a feel for what you want.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of not using the wire forms already.

Do you think there is much difference between the .026 wire forms I bought and the .024 wire? A lighter gauge would be nice for the smaller lures I am making.

And do you use split rings on ALL of your spinners? Even the ultralight ones?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As I mentioned, the feel becomes a matter of personal preference, after you have made and fished with a few spinners on different wire. I make them on wire as light as .022. It is noticeably much lighter than .026. The size in the middle is noticeably different than either at the top or bottom. But...only after you have worked with it and can feel the difference. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, I now use split rings on all my spinners. As you can see in the attached pics, this was not always so. But, when I used single hooks, I found that I had more "foul ups" on the cast, without split rings. And, with the freer swing of the hooks with a split ring, there is more of an "articulated" action. That can sometimes add to the attractiveness of a spinner.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will likely order some thinner wire, if it isn't available here in the Boise area.

I noticed that you have a small brass/nickel bead ABOVE your inline spinner blade--is that for aesthetics, or does it help with the action? I have not used one above, but have used a small one between the blade and the body on all the lures.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Many/most spinner makers do not use a "bearing bead" above the clevice/blade. I have done them both with and without. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once had an old boy tell me that the top bead was good to have if you fished spinners upstream...that it helped the blade spin and flutter more while the current sweeps it downstream.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do very little stream fishing these days but I still keep adding that extra bead. They are cheap.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
On painting, I've located a great tackle shop here in Nampa, but all they have is powder paint. Is it possible to paint only one side of a blade with the powder paint? Would I be able to mask off the back side to keep the metal shine, and just paint the outside of the blade?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Should be fairly easy. Heat the blade over some kind of heat source. Sprinkle on some powder paint and let it adhere to the surface. Then, put the blade into a toaster oven or something and heat to about 150 for several minutes. That finishes melting the powder to the metal and "cures" it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are careful to keep up the convex side, you shouldn't have to worry about masking it off. The masking tape would probably also melt.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now why didn't I think of that? [crazy]

I just thought of dipping the blade.
[signature]
Actually, I am now encountering the biggest obstacle I've yet run into, having just recently taken up lure making. It is called a "spouse." A creature that abhors the water, whose primary aim seems to be the annihilation of not fish, but the fisherman. [unsure]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]WHOA!!!!!![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can hand out a lot of real useable info on this board, but when it comes to dealing with spouses you are on your own. I had to go through a couple of others before I "hooked up" with TubeBabe. She puts up with all my tackle tinkerin' because I keep her convinced that I am doing it for her...and she likes to fish. She's happier with a new batch of experimental jigs than a pair of diamond earrings. Lucky me![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of the joke about a guy who came home late, smelling of booze, smoke and cheap perfume. When confronted by his wife he hung his head and admitted to having spent a wild night at a topless bar. Her response: "You lyin' S.O.B. You've been fishing again."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with pacifying the wife. The best advice I can offer is to simply offer "tradeoffs". If it is the money she objects to, then spend the equivalent on her. If it is your time she is jealous of, take her to a couple of "chick flicks" or do something with her that you would otherwise NEVER do, just to show her you care.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you start accumulating more and more lure making stuff, it is inevitable that you will be challenged..."Why do you need so much/many?" All you can do at that point is march her toward her closet and count her shoes. In most cases you can turn the tables by asking her the same question. Not always.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Marriage is a give and take situation. Spouses will usually take as much as you can give. In my house we have a 50-50 arrangement. I get 50 cents and my wife gets $50. Works for her. We also have the understanding that what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers too. And...whenever she wants my opinion she gives it to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry, son. If I had the answer to how to keep wives happy with a fishing addiction I could have retired wealthy many years ago. Heck, that would be right up there with eliminating hunger, diseases and wars...but a lot harder.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Lol! I've tried some of the methods you describe, some with success, others not [Tongue]

I actually used a wedding band lure to catch my wife, so I suppose since she's definitely a keeper, I need to think of things other than fishing once in a while.

I was on call last night, and she couldn't understand why I would rather make lures than do anything else. I tried to explain how relaxing it is and how it takes ones mind off the current situation. It was obvious by the look on her face that she just doesn't get it. My evil plot therefore is to take her fishing this spring (she already agreed that she would like to try it). If anything can help me out, it will be her catching a fish and hopefully fishing fever. I couldn't ask for a better wife, mother, and friend, so hopefully she's catch the bug!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad to hear that she at least has an open mind to going fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best advice I can offer is to make the trip ABOUT HER...not about your fishing pleasure. Be sure to go where she can catch a fish...of any species. Also, be sure the weather is nice, there are no bugs and that you are close to the "facilities" in case of need. Dress to stay comfortable and if she gets bored or uncomfortable, don't insist on "one more cast"...that turns into another hour or two of frustration for her.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, that is the advice I usually hand out for guys taking kids out for the first time, but it is doubly applicable to wives. There is a lot more at stake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]