Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire threader
I didn't want to hijack someone else's post, so.... One of my flies from the fly swap has a little, itty-bitty copper wire loop about 2 inchs long through the eye. I gathered it is a wire threader, but how is it used?
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]It works just like a tooth floss threader. Slip your leader through the loop of the wire and pull the tab end through the eye.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Forgot to mention that I use a sewing needle threader. I punched a hole through the finger grip and attach it to a zinger. Works very well. You can pick them up at your local sewing goods store for only a few cents.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19887;][/center] [center]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Your fly might look like this[/size][/green][/font].
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19888;][/center]
[signature]
One of the ideas of using a threader is that you have the flies on threaders before you leave the house. If you put mutliple flies on one threader it does not take up as much space as each fly having its own threader would.

Then on the stream you put your tippet through the large loop of the threader. While holding the top fly in your hand you use the other hand to pull the loop end of the threader with the tippet through the eye of the hook. Whallaa, you have the tippet pulled through the eye of the hook without needing bright light, 4.5 ft arms, and no cussing.
[signature]
Yes, just today I saw some fly boxes that had Threaders built right into the box.

Four or Eight threaders. You could stack multiples of flies on each threader and etc etc....! Looked like a great idea to me.
Especially if you knew your fishing hole so well, you knew which order you were gonna use your flies.

He also had another Gadget for tying a fly on.
It was a Magnetic hook holder.
You stuck the eye of the fly down into a slot at the head of a Groove.
Then you slide the line down the groove and it would be guided right through the eye of the Hook.

I had too much trouble with it, so I declined, and stuck with the "Cost Reduced" version which is pictured above in somebody else's post.
[signature]