Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The French, does anyone understand them?
[size 2]Chirac lashes out at 'new Europe'
[/size][url "http://europe.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/18/sprj.irq.chirac/index.html"][#0000ff][size 2]http://europe.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/eu...irac/index.html[/size][/#0000ff][/url][size 2]
BRUSSELS, Belgium -- French President Jacques Chirac has attacked eastern European countries hoping to join the EU, saying they missed a great opportunity to "shut up" when they signed letters backing the U.S. position on Iraq.

France has been a leading voice against Washington's press for war in Iraq to disarm President Saddam Hussein and is insisting weapons inspectors in the country be given more time.

But 13 countries either set to join the EU or in membership talks have signed letters supporting the United States.

Chirac said: "These countries have been not very well behaved and rather reckless of the danger of aligning themselves too rapidly with the American position."

"It is not really responsible behavior. It is not well brought-up behavior. They missed a good opportunity to keep quiet."

"I felt they acted frivolously because entry into the European Union implies a minimum of understanding for the others," Chirac said.

Chirac called the letters "infantile" and "dangerous," adding: "They missed a great opportunity to shut up."

Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic, all of whom have dates for EU membership, joined EU members Britain, Spain, Italy, Denmark and Portugal in signing a letter last month supporting Washington's stance on Iraq.

Ten other eastern European nations -- eight with entry dates and Romania and Bulgaria who are still in membership discussions -- signed a similar letter a few days later.

"Romania and Bulgaria were particularly irresponsible. If they wanted to diminish their chances of joining Europe they could not have found a better way," Chirac said.

When asked why he wasn't similarly critical of the EU nations that signed the letter, Chirac said: "When you are in the family ... you have more rights than when you are asking to join and knocking on the door."

CNN European Political Editor Robin Oakley described Chirac's outburst as "pretty grumpy and imperious."

"For him to lecture these applicant countries or these accepted members on their way in was really behavior like the worst of what the French complain about in the United States," Oakley said.

"It was bullying really. ... It was very, very tough stuff. I think some of the other EU leaders will feel it was out of order.

"But perhaps it shows just how much Jacques Chirac was stunned by U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's differentiation between what he calls 'old Europe' and 'new Europe.'"

Rumsfeld angered France and Germany when he referred to them as 'old Europe' -- in contrast to the easterners seeking to join the EU and NATO -- in response to Paris and Berlin's stance against any possible war in Iraq.

Chirac's words have angered some of those aspirant nations with Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondr saying it appeared Chirac was trying to bully them.

And Polish Deputy Foreign Minister Adam Rotfeld told public radio: "France has a right to its opinion and Poland has the right to decide what is good for it. France should respect that."

European Commission President Romano Prodi said he was Saddened rather than Angry with the candidates because their pro-Americanism was a signal they had failed to understand that the EU is more than a mere economic union.

"I would be lying it I said I was happy," he told reporters. "I have been very, very Sad, but I am also patient by nature, so I hope they will understand that sharing the future means sharing the future."

The EU decided last December to admit 10 new members to the 15-nation bloc.

The parliaments of the current EU members still have to ratify the decision that will see Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Cyprus and Malta join in May 2004.

On Tuesday, leaders of the EU aspirants traveled to Brussels for a briefing on Iraq and endorsed Monday night's joint declaration by EU leaders. (Full story)

The candidates were upset over not being invited to Brussels for Monday's emergency summit on Iraq.

Britain and Spain had sought to have the candidates invited to Monday's summit, but France and Germany opposed the idea.

Greek Prime Minister Costas Simitis, whose country holds the rotating EU presidency, denied they had been excluded from the summit because of their backing for Washington, insisting rules require the accession treaties be signed first. [/size]
[signature]
well we saved there butts in WWI,WWII helped them out in the cold war , and covered there butts when they left veitnam . but they did give us the statue of liberty .
i think that they are afraid of an enemy they cant see , terrorists ! keep the terrorists passified and maybe they (the french )wont get bomed too ! it didn't work with hitler , it wont work now either !
whats really funny is that during WWII , the bravest of the brave came from most of the countrys that now turn there back or close there eyes to what terrorists are capible of doing . i think there brave ansisters and war heros would spit in there face for having such an attitude today . who hasent heard of the french underground , the french freedom fighters . 300.000+ chinese were killed in retaliation for helping out 3 american crew members after bombing japan ,mad turks and fight like a russan were well know phrases too when over a million of them died fighting off the nazies , armed with pitchforks and small arms .
taking a stand against teriony seems to be lost by these countrys . but you can bet your last dime they will ask for help one day again and we'll give it to them . they dont seem to mind asking for loans from our government , i bet if they had to do a fourty hour work week like we do it would cause riots over there . basicily they have just gone soft . let them have a 9-11 , and see there attitude change .god forbid , but thats what it would take .
[signature]
this guy says it better
[font "Arial"][size 2]In case you missed it:

NEW YORK, Feb. 16, 2003
[img]cid:X.MA1.1045589063@aol.com[/img]
[img]cid:X.MA2.1045589063@aol.com[/img]
(CBS)
A weekly commentary by CBS News correspondent Andy Rooney. You can't beat the French when it comes to food, fashion, wine or perfume, but they lost their license to have an opinion on world affairs years ago. They may even be selling stuff to Iraq and don't want to hurt business.

The French are simply not reliable partners in a world where the good people in it ought to be working together. Americans may come off as international jerks sometimes but we're usually trying to do the right thing.

The French lost WW II to the Germans in about 20 minutes. Along with the British, we got into the war and had about 150,000 guys killed getting their country back for them. We fought all across France, and the Germans finally surrendered in a French schoolhouse.

You'd think that school building in Reims would be a great tourist attraction but it isn't. The French seem embarrassed by it. They don't want to call attention to the fact that we freed them from German occupation.

I heard Steven Spielberg say the French wouldn't even let him film the D-Day scenes in "Saving Private Ryan" on the Normandy beaches. They want people to forget the price we paid getting their country back for them.

Americans have a right to protest going to war with Iraq. The French do not. They owe us the independence they flaunt in our face at the U.N.

I went into Paris with American troops the day we liberated it, Aug. 25, 1944. It was one of the great days in the history of the world.

French women showered American soldiers with kisses, at the very least. The next day, the pompous Charles de Gaulle marched down the mile long Champs Elysee to the Place de la Concorde as if he had liberated France himself. I was there, squeezed in among a hundred tanks we'd given the Free French Army that we brought in with us.

Suddenly there were sniper shots from the top of a building. Thousands of Frenchmen who had come to see de Gaulle scrambled to get under something. I got under an Army truck myself. The tank gunners opened fire on the building where the shots had come from, firing mindlessly at nothing. It was a wild scene that lasted, maybe, 10 minutes.

When we go to Paris every couple of years now, I rent a car. I drive around the Place de la Concorde and when some French driver blows his horn for me to get out of his way, I just Smile and say to myself, "Go ahead, Pierre. Be my guest. I know something about this very place you'll never know."

The French have not earned their right to oppose President Bush's plans to attack Iraq.

On the other hand, I have.

[font "Arial"][#000000][size 3]

[/size][/#000000][/font][/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]"Bringing people together to advance their lives."[/size][/font]
[signature]