Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Got You Hooked On Fishing?
[#ff0000][size 2]Just wondering what got you hooked on the sport? Thinking back I was doomed from the start. I remember going to Fish Lake with my grandfather to chase Mac's before moving to a small town in Montana. It had a one room schoolhouse for four grades, a great trout stream 100 yards from my house and a pond 1/2 mile down the tracks with huge Locklaven Browns and some nice rainbows. There was only one other kid my age within 30 miles so I spent most of my day, outside of grade school, on the water. In high school we moved to Missoula, MT where I had the Bitterroot River literally in my backyard. We'd jump shoot the backwaters for ducks in the morning before school, fish the points in the afternoon, then bow hunt the islands for whitetail at dark. In the summers we'd backpack the wilderness areas for weeks at a time with fish and grouse seasoned with wild onion as the main menu item. I've found its hard to get that lost in Utah but have sure enjoyed the different experiences Utah offers. Once it gets in your blood it becomes you. When I'm in need of a good "unwind" you know the poles are always in the trunk! So what got you hooked and what do you like about the sport?[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
I grew up in Eastern Washington (Kennewick). My dad wasn't much of a fisherman, but we went on a church "father and son" campout. We camped along the Tucannon River. In Washington, many rivers are closed for parts of the year, and we were fishing on "Opening Day" in June. Wow. River fishing with a worm, and a trout on every cast. Pretty fun for anyone, but thrilling for an 8 yr old!

Been hooked ever since, and am trying to get Dad to tag along now!

Senkonate
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Fun thread NOS, [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]This will give me the opportunity to explain my interesting screen name that you have surely wondered about. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]I was born in Idaho in a town called Ririe, which is very close to the South Fork of the Snake River. Some of my first and fondest fishing memories were floating the Snake and camping on the islands formed by side channels. Most memorable were the trips during the Salmon fly hatch where I caught handfuls of the critters and fished them with a bobber. That was back when you could float the South Fork and see less than five boats all day. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]At the age of 9 my dad started to teach me to tie flies and fly fish. I was pretty clumsy fly fishing and tying, but I learned to tie larger flies fairly well and I found that they were easier to fish. I learned to tie a mean grasshopper pattern and a couple stonefly patterns including the Salmon fly. I usually had good success and occasionally beat some of my dad's friends fishing. I found that I could have good success most of the year with just a few patterns so I didn't need to learn more. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Growing up fishing the Salmon fly hatch I have always had an interest in the critters. Since I started going to school, I have found it easy to get side tracked when I should be doing homework so I have done quite a bit of entomology study on the internet when my time would probably be spent better in other ways. Through this study I have found myself focusing on the stone fly family; latin name plecoptera. So there you have it, my two favorite types of flies to fish as a boy put together in one strange name.[/size][/#800000][#800000][size 2] [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]I owe my love for fishing to the time my dad spent patiently teaching me the skills of a fisherman. He has been gone for 11 years now, but he is still teaching me because now he gets to fish full time. I wouldn't trade those youth fishing trips with my dad for anything so I am going to give my boys the same opportunities that I had as a boy. [/size][/#800000]

[size 2][#800000]Now don't get me wrong, I love to fly fish, but I am an equal opportunity fisherman. Lead hook meat, bobber worm, soft plastics, hard plastics, spinning, jigging, trolling, casting, you name it, I will fish it.[/#800000][/size]

[size 2][#800000] [/#800000][/size]
[signature]
Ovid Creek runs right behind my Grandpa's house in southeastern Idaho. I saw him come back from the creek one morning packin' his bamboo rod and a couple of small Brook Trout. I acted interested, as you can imagine any young pup would. He said, "Do you want to try to catch a fish?". I was excited to try and said "Yes Sir!", and he walked me out to the creek.

Rather then letting me use his cherished bamboo rod, he sized up a nice flexible branch on a willow and cut it off with his pocket knife. He peeled 10 feet or so of fishing string (that's right, it wasn't mono', it was some kind of string) off his reel and tied it to the willow branch. After showing me how to tie on a hook and worm, he showed me how to sneak up to a hole, swing the worm and hook into the creek, and let it drift into the hole.

I had an absolute blast catching several Brook Trout that day and have been hooked ever since.
[signature]
My father took me fishing when I was a little boy and has continued to do so all through my growing years. I stopped fishing, when surfing came in my life. I retired from pro surfing at the age of 29 and moved to Utah. I didn't care for shoreline sit at your chair type of fishing until I saw people in float tubes and I wanted to be on the water. I got hooked on fishing via float tube, and boats. I love to be on the water.[cool] Toys seems to get bigger. LOL.
[signature]
Growing up here in Northern Utah, my father never liked fishing so once I had wheels I would hit all the local fishing holes. After I was married my father in law bought a boat and that was that. I had to have a boat, what a great family activity, whether fishing or just boating I love to be on the water. We have taken the boat from Montana to Lake Powell and about every lake in between, but I prefer Flaming Gorge, that is in between storms and wind anyway.

MackAttack
[signature]