Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLASS RODS
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I have been hooked on fiberglass rods lately. Bought the little 5'3" 3/4wt for small streams, and my 7'6" 4wt Lamiglass, plus my old ugly Berkly with the crocked tip top [laugh][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I even teach my students using glass because it WILL teach you to slow down and wait for it. Can help old timers correct a few things also.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I just received my McFarland 8' 3pc 6wt. blank. WOW! I was thinking it might be a lot more noodlie being that long, but this thing is soooo sweet. This is going to be a blast on stillwater.
Amboyna reel seat, agate stripping guide. Going with the double foot guides, and he sent us some new hook keeps that look like little double foot guides.
Custom cork by the ol' man. Will post some pictures of the finished product. Can't wait![/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I landed a 24" kamloop at the lodge this summer on my Lamiglass. These rods can take it![/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Plus very inexpensive for the builders to get a TOP OF THE LINE rod.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Wink]The Biggest Rainbow's I've ever caught were on my old Fiberglass Fenwick.
I got a 4 Lb Rainbow out of Lenice lake in Washington state and another 4 Lb out of Six mile lake near Anchorage AK.
That was a great rod.

Olympic Lamiglass used to sell blanks locally. Somone said they were seconds but I made a 10' Salmon Rod (Ugly Yellow) which my boys fought over once they used it on a couple of fish.

I am convinced that the old Fiberglass rods were indeed better performers than the newer Graphite's.

I wonder if anyone's ever invented a way to verify one way or the other?
[signature]
I agree. I have become so spoiled. Talked to Mike McFarland today to let him know we got everything. Also mentioned that I will be fishing that over my $600. plus rods because it is so fun.
Here is a picture of the cork and reel seat, and the Agate striper guide and the COOL hook keeper:

[Image: Newcork2.jpg]

[Image: agateandkeeper.jpg]
[signature]
[Sad]Ooooh see me jealous over that Agate Stripper guide!
One day, If I ever get out to the coast again, I'm gonna go to one of the big Sporting goods shows and see all the fancey stuff some guys put together for the benefit of the people who can afford such luxuries.

Did you ever wonder how they polish those little Hook eye's to such a hi degree. That's gotta be a Industrial Production Engineer's nightmare.

Be sure and do someting nice for Mr. Handle builder. he did good when he put his Cork's in sequence like that.

$600 Rods!!! Ack ack choke koff.... Holy smokes! Was that at a Deceased sale at Aristotle Oniassis' estate?
I hope you havent told your Homeowners Policy about that kind of stuff laying around your Cabin. They'll make you get a Gun Safe for that stuff.

Two more days to warmer weather over here and I can go try out my new flies and my $100 Rod n' Reel.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thudpucker, already have a Fort Knox. Don't want me to get into the fire power we have aquired[shocked] Let alone the two newer Orvis Bamboo's[Wink][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The thing I wanna tell you guys is you can get blanks at a real good price (lamiglass around $50. and up and this McFarland $125. for a two piece plus $25 for each additional section) This whole rod will have cost about $275. but it will be customized top of the line.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Got the machinery of e-bay for about $60. so all that is left is quiet time to put them together, but now that we have the wrapper and dryer, we can build all the rods we want, to our specs.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Anyone interested in more about this, just let me know.[cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[size 3][black][font "Comic Sans MS"]DryRod, you have stated the STATISTICS and they are correct. The reason Graphite is more sensative comes from the fact that they are thinner walled and stiffer.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]With Glass you are fishing with a so called BUNGIE, so when lifting the rod to set a hook, the whole thing is going to bend.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]The up side to that is fish do hook them self. Same theory as those rubber SNUBBERS when trolling. This also helps to keep from ripping the hook out of their mouth and broken tippet.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]You all know I fish the 30's in the rivers and up till now I would use the Super Fine's full flex, so if I didn't see the take I would feel it. With glass I am experiensing the same thing (much like Bamboo) except now the fish are setting the hook them self.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]As in all the new rods offered today, there is a big difference in quality. The new glass (like the graphite and especially bamboo) are lighter and choice of flex. There are still the lower end and upper end. The old Fenwick and Berkley compared to the new Diamondglass, Steffen Bros. and McFarland.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]A good example, look at your old bamboo rods (4wt if you an find one) and look at the weight. My newer one is a THREE piece and weighs 3 3/4 oz. and the newer hollow ones weigh even less.[/font]
[/black][/size]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I was trying to find information regarding the composition of today's glass rods versus that of yester years. I still have a several bait casting & salt water glass rods which are totally inferior to any thing made today. Not that I am looking for another swatter but next time I stop by Bob Marriotts will check out their glass rods. Always interested in whats going on in the industry.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Let me know if you come across any killer deals![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I think that you are looking to set up your own retail rod shop. LOL[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Not at all....just a simple case of[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4]I WANT IT ALLLLL! mwahahahaha![/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
When I first took up fly fishing in 99 or 2000 it was on our third or fourth trip before our guide laugh and said he just had to try the fly rod and reel I was using. ...... My Dad's Wright McGil two piece fiberglass with an automatic reel.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]When I first took up fly fishing in 99 or 2000 it was on our third or fourth trip before our guide laugh and said he just had to try the fly rod and reel I was using. ...... My Dad's Wright McGil two piece fiberglass with an automatic reel.

dB
clean, inspect, dry
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog [/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]ANNNDDD?![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
FlyGoddess Wrote"

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ANNNDDD?![/size][/font][size 1] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]And not much. I soon replaced it with a Scott graphite 4 piece with a light molded carbonfiber reel. The Old Wright Mcgill felt heavy and ackward after that.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
I ment, what did the guide think?
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Not at all....just a simple case of[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4]I WANT IT ALLLLL! mwahahahaha![/size][/red][/font] [/reply]
[#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Dont you already have it all Goddess...lol.. you have the band.. the guiding.. the tying.. the leaders.. and now making rods of your own. ... .. ... ... .. . .. and you have all your friends here...how can it get any better....[/size][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Mac[/size][/font][/#008000]
[signature]
he was unimpressed but though it would be good to see more people making use of those old rods but that the graphites were just so much nicer to cast.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The older glass are a lot like the older Bamboo. A little clumbsy, but I sure like this new stuff. Scruffy, Colorado ain't that far away. LOL[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]MacFly you got that right, this is the BEST Forum I have found anywhere, and they sure take care of their Moderators. Got my moderator package yesterday and WOW!. I will be wearing the Shirt all the time now and the Stocking hat for several months. Thanks BFT![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]FG[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[#005000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Moderator kit.. and I missed it.... [laugh]... that is the downside.. now an upside would be a picture of the Goddess in her moderator shirt.. what do you think guys???? [Smile][/size][/font] [/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Mac[/size][/font][/#005000] [font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#00bf00][size 3]Okay, you asked for it but only cause it is soooo coooool and cause I am board today (I should be working on songs)[/size][/#00bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#00bf00][size 3][/size][/#00bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#00bf00][size 3][Image: BFT2.jpg][/size][/#00bf00][/font]
[signature]
cool..thank you for posting.. and you are right.. it is really cooollllllllll.. [Wink]

have fun with the songs.. or the flies.. or the pictures and info for the pages.. lol.. am I starting to nag here....

MacFly
[signature]