Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBJ's and Wermz
[cool][#0000ff]I can't remember when I first started decorating jig heads and making different kinds of jigs...hair, feathers, etc. Over the years I have bought and tried just about every kind of chenille, craft cord, sparkle braid and other materials available in the search for the perfect jig body.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Chenille is the most popular body material for making jigs among most jigaholics. It is cheap, easy to work with and comes in a bajillion colors and types of materials. There are not many colors or effects you cannot get with a chenille body.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the past few years I have increasingly used sythetics for a lot of my jigs and baitbugs. The "craft cord" sold in the plastic canvas section of some craft stores comes in many different colors and makes a tough jig body. It has allowed me to come up with some great color combos.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only real problem I have had with any of the jig making materials is that they either change color when wet or quickly become discolored by dirty water, bouncing in the mud, fish gook, blood, etc. If you tip your jigs with bait, they get trashed in a hurry. Once you have fished one, it will never be pretty and bright colored again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year I esperimented with making some glow in the dark ice jigs. On some of them, I wrapped a body of craft cord and then painted it with my super glow stuff, over either white or chartreuse underpaint. Those "glow wermz" worked great. Some of my fishing buddies have been begging and groveling for me to make some more. So I did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I was wrapping the craft cord underbodies on some ot the new wermz, I got to thinking. Why not make bait bugs or marabou jigs with a painted body? That would allow me to create a body with exactly the same color and glitter as the head...with whatever kind of tail I wanted. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So...I wrapped some jigs with several different kinds of tails and with a craft cord body. Then, I painted both the body and the head with the same paints and ended up with some nice colors that wouldn't fade or become discolored. Oh yeah, on some I osed contrasting colors on the heads. On still others, I wrapped the jigs on heads that I had already painted and epoxied. It was a grand experiment and the results turned out pretty good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching pictures of both the Glow Wermz and of the initial colors of the PBJ's...Painted Body Jigs. While making them I took a series of pictures, step by step, of the process and the materials I used. If anybody wants to make some and wants copies of the pics, PM me your email address where you can receive large files and I will send copies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I also made up some Roadrunner heads with the painted body jigs. I am anxious to try them ice fishing this year too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
now thats what ive been waiting for. im very impatiant i made the trek to the tackle torium to see these first hand and have now made some of my own i guess im just a copy-cat.
[inline fastpearlgreen.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#4040ff]And a fine job you've done me lad.[/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]I really think that with a bit of experimentation we can come up with a whole range of colors that have their time and place. I plan to do some oranges, black, purples and other standard colors. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]I guess that "Polo werm" kinda has to grow on ya. But, if the fish like it, I like it.[/#4040ff]
[signature]
almost forgot i added some of your super glow on it and made it an ac/dc jig. polokid head swelled when he found out i named it after him
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I once had a small lake named after me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ever hear of "Stupid Lake"?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rob already has enough ego.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i dont think its an Ego Rob has, I thinks its ADD...[Wink]
[signature]
I used to buy a yarn for fly tying that was mohair. It has a central woven core, with clumps and strands of varegated color coming of it, in varied lengths and thicknesses. When I used it for nymphs, it out performed even the fur-bodied nymphs like muskrats and hares ears. I will check around and see if it is still available. It doesn't have the neat appearance of yarn or chenille, but I think it is the ratty, furry look that is so appealing to the fish. There was a turquoise/maroon color that was deadly for cuts on the south fork. If I can find it, I'll post it here.
[signature]
Here's a link from janns with some of the mohair yarn--unfortunately they don't have a great variety of colors. I think the color I used to like is "rusty brown." I'm sure it's available at local fly shops that have quite a bit of yarns. I love this stuff!
[signature]
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USER/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][Image: ume.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good lookin' stuff. But, you need to learn to use the "Edit" button on top of your posts. If you mess up or have something to add you can go back and add or correct in your original post. No need to create two more posts.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ah, sorry--I was not knowing [blush]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ignorance is no excuse...either in marriage or on these boards. I'm sure your wife doesn't go for it. Mine doesn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...I'm putting your package on Santa's sleigh today.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am to this board what a carp is to game fish [unsure]

As for Santa--thanks! It's probably the only present I'll get this year [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are many anglers (myself included) who find carp to be an excellent game fish. Ugly? Yes. But, they are difficult to fool and fight harder than most trout.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have already taken care of a great gift to yourself this year...becoming involved in lure making.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Merry Happy and stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude
I posted a little about carp as a game fish, and what others here might think of catching them--the post is under the Idaho message boards. FYI. It should be fun to see what others think of catching the carpster.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We have had a lot of discussions about carp on the Utah board. And, on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81;"]FLOAT TUBING BOARD[/url] we have several tubers and flyrodders who regularly post pics and reports on carpkind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some people will never like them, even on the end of their lines, but more and more anglers are finding that they are worthy prey.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Me, I'm mixed--I like the way they fight. I have hooked a few that I was convinced were ginormous trout even. I just don't like handling them and taking them off my hooks...call me squeamish...
[signature]
if you want to see carp, click on search type in carp, then type in my user name.

but in short, they are fun to catch, they are good to eat if caught in clean water, they are a detrimental to the quality of a lake, I could do with out them. we have cat fish and bull heads that do what the carp were planted to do, but dont destroy lake or river beds.

one pair of breeding carp will hatch millions and millions of carp in a life time.

every thing eats them from blue gill to pike, but onece they get 10 pounds nothing eats them, and they live to be 50-80 pounds.
[signature]
I guess I wasn't aware that they had deleterious effects on the river beds and lakes. I never much cared for them, with all their incessant sucking and carousing...not fish-like behavior at all...
[signature]