Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which one??
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Which fly if any gives you the most problem tying? I am not making reference to size for anything over 16 would be a problem for me, but difficulty getting all the piece of material to flow smoothly together.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
So far, for me, the parachute style fly has kicked my a*#. I can't seem to get it to stay erect and perty.[mad]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there LH2 - here is a tip that might help. [unless you are already doing this then I don't have an answer] see my illustration where you need to tie off the chute:[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20092;][/center]
[signature]
After getting the post as shown in Dryrod's picture bring the thread behind the post, on the tail side of the post. Tug slightly on the thread so the thread puts some tension on the post then make a couple of overlapping wraps around the shank. If I am not sure that is going to secure the post up right I will make another wrap around the post and repeat pulling the thread behind the post and making the overlapping wraps again.

To say it another way. The bacward tension on the post holds it up right. the over lapping wraps of thread keeps the thread tension on the post.
[signature]
Oh, and with smaller flies and synthetic post material I some times will tie the post material on perpendicular to the shank and parallell to the floor. [ as if it was an airplane wing on a fuselage ] I do this with figure eight wraps.

After doing a few figure eight wraps to secure it then I pull both ends vertical and make wraps around the material to form it into a post and make a solid base for the hackle to wrap around.

If you have troubles tieing off the hackle or trapping the hackles under the thread try Hans Van Klinken's method. I find it particularily effective for tying midge size parashute drys. He recommends using spider web thread but I use Griffith's 14/0 thread.

The method is demonstrated in this tutorial on tying his famous Kinkhammer Special.

[url "http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10110.htm"]http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10110.htm[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have a little trick I do when applying the Hackle to this. I have the hackle with the tips pointing more up (tie the hackle on with the "V" of the hackle facing up) I wrap the hackle 3 to 4 times, strip some of the barbs off the hackle. Here's my trick, I put Zap-A-Gap on the thread (about one inch, thin coat) wrap that around the post over the stem of the hackle, then whip finish at the eye.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
That was good! Now i have no excuses. I have been using a piece of white or yellow foam for my posts. Does it make a difference with the poly?
[signature]
I forgot to say that when you use Van Klinken's method of rotating the fly 90 degrees in the vise jaws that while doing the whip finish you can easily rotate the oscillate the whip finisher so that the thread passes under all of the hackle fibers. I never bother gluing. The fly does not come appart on me as the tying wraps are protected underneath the hackle. I generally end up loosing the fly in a fish's mouth or more likely in the trees long before the thing comes apart.
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have a little trick I do when applying the Hackle to this. I have the hackle with the tips pointing more up (tie the hackle on with the "V" of the hackle facing up) I wrap the hackle 3 to 4 times, strip some of the barbs off the hackle. Here's my trick, I put Zap-A-Gap on the thread (about one inch, thin coat) wrap that around the post over the stem of the hackle, then whip finish at the eye.[/size][/black][/font] [/reply]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Which fly if any gives you the most problem tying? I am not making reference to size for anything over 16 would be a problem for me, but difficulty getting all the piece of material to flow smoothly together.[/size][/green][/font] [/reply]
any flie with a build up of materials near the head drives me batty sometimes. No matter how I pay attention to providing space for the head I end up crowding the eye of the hook a number of the times I tie the fly.
[signature]
I seem to have trouble getting a spruce fly to look symmetrical. It's difficult to find the symmetrical hackle tips, but invariably one side lays at a different angle than the other. Not sure if this has any effect on the effectiveness of the fly, though, as they are one of my favorite streamers.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]The one that bothers me is........[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]ALL FLIES! But that's because I don't tie my own[Tongue][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]