Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adventures with the IFG!
Met up with Fackin Dave, IFG, and BLM yesterday for some adventures on the ice. We decided to give Woodruff a try. Road conditions were a little rough in the AM, but the "Big Red Truck" plodded through the nasties and got us to our destination without incident. On our way in, the "Big White Truck" found a nice rut and got burried. Had a fun time digging it out. When we finally got the lake, we unloaded the sleds at the top of the hill and headed in to the lake, only to find the edges were not safe ice! The ice was only 1" thick about 5' out. Not conducive to sleds on the ice. So we got down to business and built a bridge out of stone to access the ice. Couldn't get the sleds across the bridge, but we did manage to finally get fishin. The main ice deck is about 10" of good clear ice, so no worries there. We went straight to the IFG's honey hole and spent the day over there. We had an OK day on the ice. The cutts were a little bigger than I remember, with the biggest going about 15". There were a couple other groups that used our bridge to get on the deck. Everyone seemed to at least catch a few. A couple of conservation officers stopped by to say howdy, and check our licenses. It was nice to get out with "da boys" again for some fishin.

Just an FYI, there is only about 2" of snow at Woodruff, so you can still drive down to the lake shore. I personally wouldn't take sleds up there until there is more snow. The rocks can be tough on skis and a track.

Didn't snap any pics today...kinda just sat around, shot the bull, and caught a few fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What a frickin' boondoggle! IFG may love to fish but NEVER allow him to be the lead vehicle! With snowmobiles in tow, we ended up on top of some mountain in the middle of the sagebrush wilderness! I knew we were in trouble when after driving thru the sage brush for 20 minutes, when he stopped his vehicle, walked back to my truck and said "I think we're lost!". Great! How hard is it to find a stupid reservoir, especially one you've already been to this season? Did I also mention that Dually trucks, though great at hauling heavy loads just ain't worth a crap at digging in the hills? Something about two rear wheels makes it a little tough. Also, driving down single lane dirt ruts make turning trucks with trailers a little challenging.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Oh yes, when you are geared to ice fish using snowmobiles, the transition to hand dragging blows. Also floating your sled across 5' of water also is fun. I probably could of sailed across it, sitting on my sled. After floating my ice shelter across to the solid ice, I then had to drag the stupid thing a 1/4 of a mile across solid, slick black ice with 1" of loose snow on top. And all of this for 10-15" cutthroat? Are you kidding me? [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]For future reference, online reports are not always accurate. I know, I've posted up second hand info only to find it inaccurate after the fact. Also, when someone asks me to go to Woodruff to icefish, tell them been there, done that, never again. It's right next to Causey as non-destinations. Icefishing to just go icefishing is very over rated.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
So Rich how do you really feel?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You should of been there! Maybe we would of found the reservoir sooner. Get your safe moved?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Did we hear you right BLM?
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]"Icefishing to just go icefishing is very over rated."

That is something I hope I never, in my life, say.
With ice fishing you get a peaceful feeling out there...with no annoying boaters, no rude waterskiers, and no mosquitoes to cause inconvenience. If you find the fish (as with pontooning), it makes for a fantastic day.

please tell us you just made a typo, oh wise one...

[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As I sit on a frozen lake, watching the clouds soar overhead, I am brought close to my inner being and true peace is at hand. The quiet is deafening! I can almost hear the snowflakes, individual in their own unique shapes, as they gently land on my eyelashes and Tongue. SHUT THE H^%& UP![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm into two-cycle exhaust in the morning. Whether it's outboard motors or snowmobiles racing across the snow and ice, listening to G&R on the nano. I love the sound of the power auger as it tears through the ice. I love rippin' lips on fish, huntin' them down as a primary target not as a secondary occurrence. Inner peace? Screw that! I'll get plenty of that after I'm dead. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Whatever yings your yang, dude, but don't expect me to follow suit. Ain't my cup of tea.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
10-4 good buddy.

Our motives may be different, but I think our goal is the same.

"A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing."
[signature]
Sounds like you been hanging out on that other site to much but at least you got to tell your side of the story[shocked]. With any luck maybe this colder weather will improve the ice conditions at one of your favorite lakes.
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]Sounds like you been hanging out on that other site to much[/size]
[/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Glad you're keeping track of my whereabouts. Sounds like you've been over there a bit yourself.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Easy Curt, nobody loves to work the BLM up more than the IFG, except maybe his dog (Sweety).

There are factors at work here that the mighty BLM might not be so happy about. He's upset and the IFG being the sensitive guy I am should not list them for the overall enjoyment of the viewer's of this board.....but I just can't help myself.

1. He planned this "boondoggle", with friends that were no-shows. TKB, Fakin Dave and IFG showed up. We left from my house, all invited (by IFG) came (none by BLM). (-90 cool points for BLM, none for the rest of us since this is the norm).

2. I was never lost....I might have been Confused for an hour or two, but I was never lost. (-7000 cool points for IFG, -3000 for TKB and FinD), we'd all been there before. BLM had never been there (+700 cool points for BLM).

3. Big Red Truck (BRT) had to pull the Big White Truck (BWT) out of a snow bank. Had the BWT followed the BRT up the hill this would be moot. The fact we we're in the back country has nothing to do with this. I was helping Brody scout for his Cow tag for Wednesday. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). (-1100 cool points for BLM...+11,000 cool points for the BRT; none for IFG since it was all BRT)

4. We found the lake, with help from a guy BLM talked too. ( +200 cool points for BLM). After discussing this at lenghts with the people that award cool points he does deserve some. While men never ask directions, when following someone that is clueless; this is allowed. (+200 more cool points for BLM for knowing the rules).

5. TKB showed with no rods (-10,000 cool points points for TKB). BLM loaned him a rod (+1 cool point for BLM); he would have recieved more but both FinD and IFG had many to loan.

6. BLM is an engineer, TKB (sissy nurse) figured out how to get on the ice before BLM. (- 300 cool points for BLM....+300 cool points for TKB).

7. TKB outfished BLM with own rod. (+5000 cool points for TKB).

And the winner is......................................................................

The Big Red Truck. The BRT thanks all of you for your support over the years. She further states she could not have won this without the EXPERT guidence of the IFG. She would like to thank all of the workers of the country's that are not the US of A for making this possible. She also goes on to say; she thanks the one over paid union working fat guy in Detroit that may have laid a finger on her so she can be declared an American made product. She really thanks the makers of her awesome tires; they were made in America with rubber from Brazil.

Buy Dodge, I guess the Germans need the money. Plus, they make a better truck than we can.

IFG
[signature]
AH Scott, our beloved German owned trucks are actually built in Mexico City and distributed from Kansas City. This just re-enforces the term "Get out of Dodge"[Tongue]

[signature]
LOL... OMG... Yer killin me here. [Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You shouldn't talk so harshly of the BWT because, it is, in fact, a Cummins Dodge too. Also you shouldn't speak bad of your elders, for you see, in fact, that the BWT is your truck's grandfather so you should be helping and RESPECTING your elders. Also when you speak bad of your elders, you speak bad of yourself. And if you really want to see how bad a$$ the BRT really is, let's load, say 4500 lbs in the bed and run cross country. I'm afraid the grandfatherly BWT might just, in fact, have to pull you along, you young whippersnapper![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]It is always an adventure with you two (IFG & BLM) If it is not leaf springs on a trailer blowing out, it is wheels literally falling off of trucks. I am laughing my butt off reading all of this![/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like a Paul Harvey, "rest of the story", episode[Smile]. Thanks for sharing your side of the story Scott. You do know though, without all these other things occurring this would have been a very dull story, you always tell the best tales IFG. I can't wait for the next episode of the IFG, BLM & TKB ice fishing stories of the 2006/2007 ice fishing season. You three guys always have the best ice fishing stories of the year, keep up the good work[Wink].
[signature]
WOW!!!

Hey Scott, see any elk?
[signature]
Little did the IFG tell you that I planned on leaving my rods at home, just so I could outfish them with someone elses rod! So in theory, I should get 1,000,000 cool points! Ha, ha, ha...JK, that was really stupid on my part.[Tongue] All hail the Big Red Truck!
[signature]
Wow! It sounds like Rich may be just slightly coming to his senses? Starting to "get it"? Ice fishing overrated? There's hope!

Now IFG, well, that's why he's the IFG I guess. (Scott, I just had grouper for dinner!)
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Silly TKB, You get 10,000 dork points for trying to be cool...[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Jim,

I had chicken....it was almost Grouper; without the Grouper taste. I don't think I can tell you to kiss my Jew A$$ without getting edited; but I'll try anyway.
Merry Christmas and I hope you choke on a rib bone from a YellowTail Snapper.

IFG