Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with boat
Hey guys. I know most of you probably enjoy fishing from a boat. But I'm eager to try it. I'll be getting a boat and trailer in the next couple of months. But I need some info from you Minnesota dwellers.

What are the boating laws around here?
What kind of licensing, if any, is needed?
Anybody out there who can help me get the boat up to par for water and show me how to operate the thing?

Having grown up in the desert, there weren't many opportunities to use a boat. Would have helped if there were some bodies of water around me.

Stuff that I'm told the boat needs:
- Seats
- Motor

Any help would be great! Thanks!

BigFishTackle rocks the boat!
[signature]
Hey desert rat, I am not form minnesota but I do own a boat or three. I assume since you said, [size 1]Stuff that I'm told the boat needs: You havent seen the boat for yourself yet. On that initial trip i would take a bailing device, your local laws should require one. Oh and since it dont have a motor, better bring a paddle! Ha Ha. Here in Utah a guy needs no liscense or training, just have to be over sixteen to operate the boat. Scary huh? I wish they would impliment a liscensing program and a minimum maturity level to operate a boat. How to operate it? Just launch it, paddle it around, toss out a line ot two, paddle around some more and load it back on the trailer! It really is that easy. dont worry to much about all the junk, theres only one way to to get your feet wet, thats by getting in the water. Oh yeah, wear a life jacket in case you get more than your feet wet![/size]
[signature]
If you are looking for the rules and regs. on boats in MN, your local court house should have all the info booklets you need. Yes boats in MN need to be registred every couple of years. Also don't forget PFD's for all on board. One more thing DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE PLUG IN IT. If you do you will have more than wet feet!!![sly]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]What kind of boat are you going to get? That would help me know what size [/url]of motor you need.

For boating and fishing laws try this link
[url "http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/index.html"]http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/index.html[/url]

Also try yahoo search on (Minnesota fish info. ) lots of good links. Hope this helps you. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks guys!

byrumjr, I'll check into the size of the boat this weekend so you can help me out some more. Sure appreciate it!
[signature]
Here is a good list of must have "stuff" for any boat:
throwable flotation device
horn/whistle
live vest(1 per person at least)
bilge pump(bigger is better, if the boat is too small to have a built in electric take something to bail with)
first aid kit
small tool kit
anchor with rope
dock lines
flashlight
spare drain plug(floating prefered)
paddle(1 is a must, 2 is better)

Now for all the fishing goodies:
main motor(Gas)
trolling Motor(Electric)
batteries
fishfinder
rod Tiedown
livewell with pump(this could be a cooler depending on what you want to do with your fish)

These are just suggestions. Take a look at what you want to do and buy a boat that you will be happy with. DO NOT BUY SOMETHING SAYING I WILL UPGRADE LATER! This is the biggest single mistake of new boat owners. If you have to wait a few more months to get the right boat/gear do it. You will be much happier and save $$$. Good luck and be safe!
[signature]
beware the used boats ! minn. winters on a fiberglass hull left outside , you might as well flush your money down the old porcilen reciptical ! although you can't see the micro cracks , they are there ! i've made the mistake . countless hours i spent making repairs , i should have had someone who knows what to look for with me when i bought it . the boat looked fine when i purchaced it , but once in the water , well it took a few days to let it drain out enough to start ripping it apart to repair all the damage and rot ! a nightmare !

i kept the boat for two years before cutting my losses and selling it for a quarter of what i put into it . ( not including my time spent , when i could have been fishing ) .

kinda like an old junker car , most of them empty your wallet at the end of the week , unless you got it from grandma . she treated it like gold and kept it in the garage . just a thought before you buy .
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up. The boat w/trailer is actually being given to me. Not sure if it's fiberglass or not. I need to talk to the owner about all the details and checking it out this coming Friday. Thanks for the reminder!
[signature]