Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baker Dam Reservoir fishing report
well it was a beautiful and windy weekend on baker dam reservoir this weekend - got my camping spot 6 feet from the waters edge at noon friday - lots of fishing traffic all weekend, and i believe this is the local lovers lane too . . .2 hrs after lights out cars still coming and going . . .

i got one bite all weekend, and missed him . .tried jigs, spoons, spinners, kastmasters, powerbait, nightcrawlers, marshmallows, nuthin . . . the lake is full with a decent flow coming in from the santa clara, and spilling over the other side . . the barometer was dropping the entire time i was there . .started at 30.02 ended up at 29.77, then rose a little this morning . .nothing...... wind gusts went to 15 friday, 25-30 saturday, a miserable day fishing - temp was about 52 . .got down to 20 or lower both nights . .

this time of year in the past we've been stocked there by now and were catching lots of planters and broods, along with the occasional brownie, i emailed dnr, they said they've received reports that commorants and other birds have eaten alot the stocked fish in the past, so they are waiting till very late march/early april to stock it this year - well thats close to ice out for our lakes in the 6000 - 8000 ft range, the nice thing about baker dam is that its at 4850 feet, so theres rarely ice cover, and you can catch nice trout feb and march, then april start hitting the lakes at higher elevations, well not this year it looks like . .

there was at least 50-100 fisherman each day, lots of boats, now with sand cove gone, enterprise dead, pine valley aint much, gunlock has no trout, quail creek no water and no trout stocking - poor baker dam res is taking all the heat down south!

i sure hope they get things back on track down south this year, there should be plenty of water, another storm's coming in tomorrow . .

sm
[signature]
ps i didnt see anybody catchin anything all weekend . . .

[Sad]

sm
[signature]
Nice reports southern. Too bad there wasnt more to report about on the catching side. I have been to baker a few times as well and came out of there with a total of 2 rainbows around 13 in. or so. I also got check for the first time in 6 years at otter creek last weekend. Now only if the northern area could keep track and check people it might deterr some of the violators.
[signature]
last year, took a scout troop & everybody caught and released 4 fish each . . one 2lb rainbow was kept for dinner . .. and a merit badge . .

also forgot to mention i left a daredevil spoon, 2 yellow jigs, and a mepps spinner for somebody to find when the water level goes down . .

sm
[signature]
not a bad donation to the water gods. i dont think you want to make a habit of that one though haha
[signature]