Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure of choice
I was curious as to how you guys decide when you are going to throw a spoon, a spinner, or a jig, in still water anyway.

I used to be fond of spoons, would try a spinner next, then a jig. However, that was before I heard of the RoadRunner jigheads and also heard of all the success using jigs. Is it just personal preference, or do you guys have criteria for which lure hits the water first?
[signature]
Road runners are nice especially for vertical jigging. They can be used in still water too.

My personal choice for still water would be to start off with a Kastmaster. I guess that would fall into the jig category because of design.

2nd choice would be a spinner. Either a Road Runner, Rooster Tail,Mepps or even a Panther Martin.

It would all depend on what I am going for though.[cool]
[signature]
So for vertical jigging, you are in your tube or on your toon, find fishies with a fish finder, and vertical jig? Not sure what vertical jigging is, in terms of when you would do it, I guess.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I usually carry an arsenal of lures on any given expedition. My boxes usually carry a variety of spinners, spoons and jigs. I do not have any particular formula I use to determine what I use when, but here is a general guideline.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, I probably use some kind of jig at least 75 percent of the time...either for cast and retrieve, bottom hopping or vertical jigging. Using a tube, I do not troll, but I do some slow kicking and either dragging jigs or bottom bouncing. I do a lot of vertical jigging from the tube once I find a concentration of fish either holding on the bottom or suspending.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When fish are shallow, or in the top few feet of the water column...and active...I throw spinners or spoons. I use lighter spinners when I want a slow retrieve and heavier spinners when I need to go deeper or want a faster retrieve in shallow water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A whole lot of my choice depends on my knowledge of the water I'm fishing and the species I am targeting. Most places I fish I know well and there is not a lot of guess work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I am fishing a new water, I rely on my "database" of basic fishing knowledge combined with the information I have been given on that water and upon what I am able to observe. Using sonar and with some experimentation I am usually able to figure out a "pattern".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are really a lot of factors that help determine what is going to work best on any particular trip. Some of those are time of year, species of fish, depth and clarity of water, water temperature, primary forage base, fish activity level, bottom structure, etc. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I really don't like Bill Dance (Dunce), but I saw something on one of his programs once that really made sense. He proposed that fishing was based upon "the 4 Rights". As he explained it...in order to be successful fishing, you have to use the RIGHT bait or lure...in the RIGHT place...at the RIGHT depth...with the RIGHT action or presentation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That pretty much sums it up. Now, all you have to do is figure out what is RIGHT. Right?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Jigging in itself can offer a few different choices in presentation. Vertical jigging is only one of them in which you are sitting in a tube or tune, standing on a sturdy platform of some type and present your lure in a straight up and down "Vertical" presentation.

Other types of jigging include cast and retreive. Try this at different retreival speeds at a time but being aware of any underwater structure that may want to deprive you of your jig.

You can effectively cover different areas of the water column just by allowing the jig to sink to different depths before retrieval.

You and do surface/skip jigging as well. Simply cast out and use a little faster retrieval that allows your jig to stay on the top of the water.

In the Saltwater we also do a type of jigging that is called a "Yo-Yo" presentation.

Cast out and let the jig sink to the bottom. Then lift your rod tip high and give about 4 or 5 cranks on your reel. Let the jig settle to the bottom again and repeat process.

Another version of this is in deeper water and not letting it hit the bottom. We do what is called a "Countdown".

Cast out just the same, "Count" to about 20 seconds, do a pump on the rod and 2 cranks, pump and 2 cranks...............

These methods work well on many species of fish in both fresh and salt. Give it a try. You can use this with the Roadrunners too.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. on jigging [cool]

Hopefully, if everything works out, I'll have an opportunity to learn from the legendary TubeDude this spring.

I used to jig the south fork of the snake, but there is was just a cast upstream, retrieve slack in line, and bounce the jig down, setting the hook each time the jig stopped. Very similar to steelhead fishing. Lots of snags in those waters, and lots of lost jigs and spoons, but also lots of nice fishies. Never had the opprotunity to jig open or still water, though, so I appreciate the techniques you detailed.
[signature]
You are most welcome for the information. I learned alot of kewl techniques from the legendary TubeDude since he is my Father.

I have had the opportunity to fish some of the better freshwater spots in California, Utah and Idaho.

You won't find a better teacher than him.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey bdn06,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]TD is making a slight understatement when he says arsenal - he's a walking/floating tackle shop.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here's my approach - depending on the body of water, species of fish and size of lure. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I start out with a spinner rather than a spoon. Mostly because they are more snag resistant than spoons. They also make vibrations and can flutter to the bottom when I slow down the retrieve. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Then I go to jigs. I like jigs for all the different presentation options available and a lot of different fish seem to like them. The spinning jigs (roadrunners) have the added attaction of being shinny and suppling vibration to get the fish's attention. I can also add sweeteners to them.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Spoons have the advantage of being able to cast a longer distance with less wind resistance than spinners. They also sink faster to get down to depth.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Of course, none of the above is really ever etched in stone. I will often change according to my mood as well. And, I usually try to have a good variety of offerings for what ever potential fish I might possibly find in any given body of water.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks fishhound--it's really interesting to see what others lure choices are, and why. I think I have favored spoons in the past because of the variety of retrieves and presentations available. But I am anxious to convert to jigs, after reading all the posts here, and after being exposed to TD's vast experience.

As far as TD's arsenal, though I haven't yet had the opportunity to fish with him (hopefully this year!), just the pics he has sent and the descriptions of his lures and jigs is mind numbing. Any time I think I have a kind of unique idea or twist on a spinner, spoon, or jig, I email him and he replies with very detailed descriptions of what I thought was an innovative idea. LOL. I really doubt if there is anything in regards to lures he hasn't tried.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I gotta plead guilty to being creative and innovative. But, there are LOTS of things I have yet to find the time, conditions or motivation to work into my repertoire. After all, some things are illegal or immoral...not that this would stop me. Might slow me down...like putting barbed wire on the bannister railing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is interesting to get feedback on what others prefer to use and why. After having moderated several fishing boards for the past few years I am still surprised at how many anglers post up "absolutes"...claiming that their lures/baits/tackle/methods are the ONLY way to catch fish. Often, somebody else chimes in right behind them offering entirely different advice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only thing I have been able to conclude is that you can probably catch fish on any given bait or lure...at some time and place...under some set of conditions. But, as we all come to believe, there are some of those things that work more often than others and become our "go to" program whenever we go fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never say never and "always" doesn't always apply. Those "truisms" are especially applicable to fishing. You need to go well equipped, with a variety of offerings, and then rely on past experience, good advice, basic skills and luck to make them work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, it does not matter if you have a "vast" collection of lures if you only have "half vast" angling skills.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Point well taken. That is what I always admired about my grandfather--he was an angler supreme, much like it sound like TD is. He could catch fish on the same lures or bait that everyone else was using, when nobody could seem to get a nudge. Glad that ppl like TD and other moderators are still around to keep fishing alive with old school talent, and that they are so willing to pass it along [cool]
[signature]
TubeDude,
You must be engrossed in some of your projects--no new posts here on the best part of the website--lure and jig making. If I may be so brash, something on color selection of jig tying might be cool (I know you cover color selections in general in one of your write-ups, but heck, it never hurts to see it again).

Or anything else you feel inclined to wax on would be cool. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll go you one better. I have been working for several years on a writeup for "Triggers"...what makes fish bite. I have never finished it. I decided a long time ago that trying to figure out fish was almost as difficult as trying to figure out wives. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, I digress. At least I can write with more experience and authority on fishing issues.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will put together an abridged version within the next few days and put it up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Busy? Me? Nope. Just getting a new computer set up, lots of new software and gearing up to take on some new responsibilities in the Utah fishing scene. I am going to be very active in Utah fisheries regulations and management this year. I may even get in some fishing trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, I have been finishing up two new batches of (old) jigs and building three new ice rods. But, I really haven't been busy. Had plenty of time to take my wife fishing yesterday. I needed a brain broom. So did she but she went with me anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will wait as anxiously as I wait for "triggers." Sounds really interesting. One of the best fisherman I knew in se Idaho had a theory about what makes fish not bite, and how they are able to sense your line and line movement with their lateral line, or some such thing. He theorized that heavier line triggered their sensory input and made them leery, if not spooked. His claim is that it isn't just a visual thing, that fish are able to sense motion, etc. Judging from the way he caught lunkers on 2# and 4# test, I think he may have been onto something. By the way, he was a jig fisherman, almost exclusively. He used deer hair sculpin jigs (the kind with the spun hair trimmed for a head), black marabou jigs, and little else. He couldn't convince us at the time to do that, though, cuz we couldn't get the same results on 6 and 8# test.

Anyway, I digress. I can't wait to read your stuff. I found out today that Lake Lowell is open in a couple of areas only, but since it is only a mile from my home, and I am still tubeless, I will be picking up my license Friday and fishing Sat and Sun. Unfortunately, I will be tossing hardware from the bank, but that's okay! (Pray to the gods of pity and good fishing that the edges of the Lake don't ice over by the time I can get out there!) Hopefully I will have read your "trigger" piece by then, so I can apply anything I read to the unsuspecting fish [cool]
[signature]
[reply]
You won't find a better teacher than him.[cool] [/reply]
No doubt about that! [cool]
[signature]