Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prey species in sw Idaho
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] Can anyone tell me what the prey species in the sw Idaho lakes most are? I'm about to order a bulk batch of spoon blades to paint and dress up, and I'm torn between silver or brass. I used brass almost exclusively in se Idaho, and did well. They must have imitated carp, brown and/or cut fingerlings. Not so sure what the prey species mostly are here in the sw corner, though. I will be fishing the Snake, CJ Strike, Brownlee, Lake Lowell, etc. Not sure what minnows abound in the water, if there are crawdads, etc.

(I posted this same question in the Idaho forum, so sorry for those of you who frequent both)
[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Suckers, chubs and carp are the three main "non gamefish" forage species. Depending upon water depth, temp and clarity they can reflect light all the way from white/silver to dark gold/brown.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are also crappie, perch and bluegills in many of the lakes and backwaters of the snake. In their smaller sizes these are definitely munchable by the predators. Again, they can reflect different wavelengths of light, depending upon a variety of conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]More important than actual color wavelength sometimes is plain old visibility. In dark, cold murky waters fish are sometimes more attracted by vibration than colors. But, once they get close to a lure it helps if they can see it. Hot colors or dark colors like dark red, brown, purple, dark blue or black are more easily seen than lighter colors. And, having two contrasting colors on the same lure can really help. Try combos of black and white, black and yellow, or blue/red and white, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many knowledgeable metal throwers follow the basic axiom: silver on light/bright days and clear water...gold/brass on darker days with stained water. That has always been reliable for me if I can't figure anything else out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD. That narrows the spectrum down considerably [cool]
[signature]