Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead New Years Trip
Headed out New Years Eve with my daughter (13). Launched out of Calville Bay about 6:30 p.m. Made it about halfway to L.V. Wash and anchored in a quiet cove. Threw out a couple of lines with no luck, so set up the makeshift cabin (camo tarp and sleeping bags, on the boat and crashed out. Overslept till about 7 am and headed to north Saddle Cove. Picked up a few dinks and decided to head to the wash. Stopped in the channel where we spent the remainder of the day. Ended up with 6 small stripers and one that went a couple of lbs at best. But all in all a good day given the wind conditions, and had one of those rare days I get to spend on the water with my daughter. I got a couple of pics of the fish my daughter caught. I will link them up. Good luck guys.

P.S. Does anyone have a location for the 33 hole. Maybe gps coordinates. And does anyone know where I can buy live shad for bait or do I have to net them.
Hello TDOG,

Great Pictures it is a great thing when the children take an interest in fishing. The Location of the 33 Hole is between these two points.

36*07.00' Latitude North 114*50.90' Longitude West

36*06.83 Latitude North 114*49.80' Longitude West

If you look to the South West you will see covered Picnic areas up on top of the cliffs. Anchor up Between the two points Chum and they will come. For live bait the only place that I ever saw was a bait shop over by sunrise mountain on Lake Mead East of nellis. I think it was called Sandy Cove it is on the south side of the road. Hope this Helps you out.
[signature]
Nice report. My daughter would never spend the night in an open boat on Lake Mead during the winter! You all are hardcore!

In regards to your question about netting shad. As far as I'm concerned searching out live bait this time of year is unnecessary. Even if you could locate live shad, it takes too much time, and you get all wet tossing the net. Besides the stripers seem to be responding to cut bait now anyway. Better to wait until later when tons of shad show up in the wash area. When this happens net extra to freeze for later in the year.

About cut bait- I carry a variety of bait. Anchovies, sardines, raw shrimp, squid, and shad. All bait is kept in an ice chest, on ice until it is used. That way what is not used stays frozen and can be put back into the freezer at home. It seems to me that bait that is thawed then refrozen gets mushy and is not effective. Just my thoughts.

Until the shad are easy to net, find a spot that has a lot of fish under your boat, and chum until they come.
BaySport
[signature]