Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear river ducks 12/30
Hit up the Bear river again. We set up a few miles down river from the Honeyville launch. On the way down we jumped about 30 geese a bunch of mallards and hundreds of goldeneyes. Once we set up we had goldeneyes coming in and out every few minutes. The occasional mallard or two would come in and we took care of those pretty quick. Afternoon it got pretty slow so we decided to head up river a little. We jumped about 40 greenheads on the way up right next to the boat. We immediately stopped the boat and waited to see if they would come back down to land. While waiting I heard something get up off of the water. I turned and caught a glimpse of the small duck. I pulled up and dropped it, unfortunately it was wounded and I had to shoot again on the water. As we got closer to it I realized that I had just shot a Wood Duck. I really wanted to mount it but I kind of messed it up with that second shot. We had a great day and ended up taking some of those mallards we patiently waited for. See attached pics
[signature]
Sweet! too bad the wood duck took 2 shots. That would be an awesome mount. [Smile]
[signature]
Looked to be a fun trip,Thanks for sharing,I have never got a woodie,to bad so much damage they are really cool looking.
good hunting.
[signature]
Sweeeet!!! Wood ducks are the best looking duck there is! I just got this nice Pintail the other day.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Awesome work on the ducks. Sucks about the wood duck being in bad shape, that would have been a great mount.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Very cool. I have been very lucky, the woodies i have shot were in perfect shape.
[signature]
Not a bad shoot at all! Too bad the woodie took it Shawshank Redemption style!
[signature]
Thats a flawless pinny!!! Did you get that mounted? that would be a great looking mount. Great job! I have yet to shoot a pintail, my buddies shot quite a few out at Ogden bay this year, looks like a blast (literally).
[signature]
Check this bad boy out! It's a mix between a Mallard and a Pintail I think they call them Pillards
[signature]
I shot a hen mallard, hen wigeon cross at BRBR this year but did not get a pic.
[signature]
I was going to get him mounted but then I saw a bunch other Pinnies and they were all much bigger than mine so I decided to wait to get one of them big boys!
[signature]
As Dr. Ruth used to say, size isn't everything! I would mount that one because it's so nice looking.
[signature]